PDA

View Full Version : Are there others?

Tim Sproul
05-03-2004, 12:27 PM
I am relatively new to custom building furniture. Just wondering who all others get design/style perspective from.

I've read a bit on George Nakashima - I like his metaphysical views on the "spirit" of woods....but not so much his aesthetics on furniture.

Thomas Moser - Wonderful, simple style. Reflective of Stickley/Arts and Crafts/Mission...but quite distinctive from that. The commonality they have is the simplicity aspect. I don't agree with his near exclusive use of cherry and ash.....could be the Nakashima influence.

Stickley/Mission/Arts and Crafts.....Simple, awesome style. Yet, I'm a bit more partial to Moser's style. Stickley's stuff is a bit more blocky than what appeals to me. I find Moser's style softer...and more appealing.

Krenov...master of "reading" wood colors and grains....I don't believe Krenov is known so much for his style/design....probably due to not having gone down the marketing avenue that Stickley and Moser went (whether by chance or design is debatable). I like his cabinetry and his thoughts that you should always be willing to change your design to suit the wood you've got on hand....if the grain pattern suggests you arch the stretcher but you originally wanted a rectangular stretcher....go find a different board or make the stretcher arched.

Who else is there?

Maloof - master of finishing and most of what I've seen are chairs.....especially his rockers that he is very famous for.

Klaus - most of what I've read and seen is more a "how to" than design. There may well be a lot of material on Klaus' style but I haven't run across them yet.

Tage Frid, Kirby and other notable "masters"....see above of Klaus.

I just wondering what other names I might search for when looking for books on style/design inspiration.

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 1:21 PM
Thos Moser is my main influence in furniture design along with George Nakashima. (We live only a few miles from the Nakashima facilities...great place to visit)

I happen to like Moser's cherry orientation, but on the inside cover of his latest catalog, there are pictures of executions in maple and walnut. They will manufacture how you want it, but of course, they embraced cherry early on. Cherry also works well with their finishing methods being a closed grained wood...the furniture is silky smooth to the touch.

If you like Moser's work, also look at the Harvey Ellis pieces by Stickley. A copy of the Stickley catalog is a must-have for your library...half is in oak; half is in cherry. Yes, cherry!

There is a lot to learn from these craftspeople, no matter what your personal style is. Same goes for the other artists you mention. Study their work to understand what they were going for and how they did it. Look beyond the "style" and see what they did for construction...you shouldn't be surprised that much of the work employs classic joinery for strength and durability.

I'll also add that a lot of the folks that write for Fine Woodworking are quite instructive; Chris Becksvoort, Will Neptune, Lonnie Byrd, etc. Any of the folks who work for or did work for or studied at the North Bennett Street School float my boat when it comes to design and joinery.

Tim Sproul
05-03-2004, 3:15 PM
Look beyond the "style" and see what they did for construction...you shouldn't be surprised that much of the work employs classic joinery for strength and durability.

That's the main problem I have. So much talk and literature (both online and in print) on the "how to" but so little on the aesthetics....I've studied a bit of Krenov's books on working with grain and appearance of boards....and to that end try to keep as large a stock of boards I can on hand. I've read a bit on Nakashima on the spritiuality of working wood....and like it too. Though LOML and most customers are at odds with keyed splits, bark and such. So I know/have read a bit of:

Moser
Stickley - mission/arts and crafts/craftsman
Krenov
Nakashima
Maloof

Are there any others who I might look up for design inspiration? Wether you like their style or not is unimportant....it is always good to examine/study design you don't like as well as stuff you like.

I do know that joinery and it's associated topics - tools and techniques - are certainly much easier to discuss...especially in written form....than aesthetics.

I kind of find cutting joinery rather mundane.....I like it but after you've cut the joint a few times....it is just repetition. I really like it when you've assembled a piece...and see it's form...and I REALLY like it when you've finished a piece and seet it's form as well as "spirit."

Pete Lamberty
05-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi Tim, I find it interesting that you are keying your learning process on what others have done. My advice to you would be to stop expecting to find your way by studying books about or by these people. Instead I think you should just learn about good design. Take some industrial design or architecture classes on design, or probably any other type of art class. Read books about what good design is. Books/classes that teach design and drawing. Not books that teach about a persons career. The books that you have read have there place, but I think what I have described to you would be a better way to learn design. Study design, not what people have designed. All of this may not be worded exactly right to express my thoughts, but I hope you get the idea of what I am saying.

Tim Sproul
05-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Pete,

I have a rudimentary education in art and design....I understand about proportion, color, lighting, texture...blah blah blah.

I don't agree though with the implication (I'm now paraphrasing your response so take this as a - "this is what I hear you say") that one should not look to previous designs when developing your own design/style....Would you say Frank Loyld Wright was not a good designer because he took so much inspiration from Japanese culture and Craftsman style? I think design has to come from many sources....it is your own personal synthesis of forms...wether man-made (previous designs), natural - landscapes, wood colors grains and textures, or purely imaginary - from yourself that gives you your own style.

I am just looking for suggestions of other design/styles to look at......

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Tim
It's very nice to look at past and present influences and great woodworkers of past and modern times as illustrated in their teachings and writings,
BUT
here on the Saw Mill Creek Forum lies a wealth of information and some of the most significant influences of modern times.
Here on the forum you can ask questions of folks, yes folks, and get straight answers about design and execution from folks that have their heads (and bodies) on the ground. That have designed pieces - whether it's furniture or other "stuff" and give you first hand experiences with it's construction.
I'm talking about Todd on design, and Wolff on carving, and Jim B. on execution, and Bill G. on turning, and Ken on pens, and Bobby H. on design and execution, and Jason on paint, and, and, and on and on and on. Check out the posts and the questions. These are OUR fine folks and noted authorities. Some work in "high class" art and other working in "down to earth" straight forward design.
I love this place.
Daniel :cool:
(Just throw money!) (Now, I know that I left out allot of names - but I appreciate all of you - it's just that I turned 60 and my brain is slowly going to mush, so can't remember names like I used to)
Now, I left myself off the list of great ones but then again I'm modest and shy.

Jamie Buxton
05-04-2004, 1:18 PM
If you're reading the current Moser catalog for inspiration, it may help to understand that there are two designers there: Thomas, and his son. In general, Thomas' designs are very strongly traditional, while his son's are more modern. And -- I'm not sure why -- the son's are often a little less expensive.

Pete Lamberty
05-04-2004, 3:10 PM
Hi Tim, I didn't mean to say that each person should come up with their own design/style. That would be very difficult for us to do. I do agree with you that one can be inspired by others or build on what others have done. I see nothing wrong with this as long as it isn't actual copying of someone elses work. I guess what I meant is, I think it is important for a person to learn about good design first. Then apply what they have learned. If one knows the "rules" of good design, they can then understand what they see when they look at another persons work. And understand what it is that they are attracted to in the piece. I think it would be difficult for a person to learn how to design something by just looking at great designers work. Obviously, I didn't know your level of education.

Earl Kelly
05-11-2004, 2:33 PM
Tim, why not look at current furniture artists. You have Wendell Castle, Gary Knox Bennett, Jake Cress and Mark Levin. I know there's lots I've left out. Mind you this is more along the lines of gallery type furniture but it is an indication of what has and can be sold. Take ideas from nature and other furniture, use these to develop your style. This usually happens by accident or thru a progression of sorts to arrive at the end product. If your going to make the same types of pieces as others, you need to make it superior and/or cheaper. After all, if you doing this for profit, your work needs to stand out.

PS: www.furnituresociety.org is a good site with lots of info.

neil radcliffe
06-24-2004, 8:28 AM
Hi Tim

Have a look for a book called" furniture for the 21 st centurary ", it has quite a few designers work inside but dose not show any construction details at all. Hope this is of some use

Mark Singer
06-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Tim,
I always like to go to the roots for purety and simplicity when looking for design inspiration. That would include the Masters that influenced Nakashima, Frid and others , such as Arne Jacobsen, Hans Wegner, Marcel Bruer,Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright, Carlos Scarpa, George Nelson, Isamu Naguchi...they are masters of form, detail, and the human form. Their designs are not only in wood but other medium as well. They can inspire great designs in wood or mixed media. I have a book in my library that contains many classics and I will find it and send you the name. Here is one website:

http://www.eurofurniture.com/shop/category_2.aspx?CrumbID=de&CatID=41

I found the book...it is German , but I think there is an English version: "Moderne Klassiker" publisher is Schoner Wohnen
There are too many great designers in here to mention...a really terrific book

Dave Bartley
06-24-2004, 8:53 PM
I am one of those mavericks who design just about everything that I build. My inspiration comes from the various web site's where people post pictures of their projects, catalogs as well as visiting antique stores.

The design for a piece, will depend on the end user and how it is to be placed and or used. Design is all about personal taste. Piccaso art is a bunch of scribbling on canvas to me, but to many others a master piece. MHO.