PDA

View Full Version : Spoilboard/humidity

Corky Cook
08-19-2008, 3:12 PM
I have a CamTech RouterMaster II with a bed that allows me to cut 72" x 150" and a 30 hp vaccum. My problem is humidity. I'm in Savannah, GA, where at this time of year the humidity is 90-95%. I work with very tight tolerences (.002")with plastics. My spoilboard is 1.25" MDF. It works fine early in the a.m. but changes as the day goes by. I do a table clear before each job but still having problems. My prior shop had A/C so I didn't have the problem. Not so lucky here. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Michael Kowalczyk
08-19-2008, 9:12 PM
It all depends on what you are cutting. if it is the same part use a dedicated spoil board. If you area apart shop where every sheet is different, then do like I did and built a room around the CNC with it's own AC. Make sure you put your dust collector's filter media (bags or cartridges) inside the room so you do not loose your AC'd air back into the shop or outside. You AC will never keep up with a dust collector's CFM.

If you are short on floorspace, you can get creative as to where you place your bags or cartridges. You can build a shelf to hold them as you suspend them from the ceiling or what ever else you come up with. A roll-up garage door works great for me. I can still drive the fork lift in to load a pallet of material on the rolling pallet. Take a picture and post it here so we can see what we are working with.

Corky Cook
08-20-2008, 9:49 AM
I'm cutting Corian, acrylic, and Lexan. It's only the Corian that I have to pocket, this leaves a drip ledge around the countertop. The consistant thickness of the material is very important.

I see that you are an ArtCAM user too. If it's OK, I may have questions on this soon. I had to purchase my router through a dealer in FL who stopped representing CamTech in the middle of my purchase. There was very poor traing to an employee that isn't here any longer. CamTech has recently sold to another company. The machine is good as is the software. I'm just having to figure out everything on my own. There are classes available at GA Tech in Atlanta, four hours away. Can't work it in and keep the work up here.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey Corky,

Are you going to IWF???

I am flying out tonight. I sent you a PM with my cell # if you want to meet. If you can go I would definitely recommend going to the Artcam booth. They will be demoing the software and you may get some quick pointers from Sean, Brad, Tiffany, Jen or who ever else is there.
If you paid for your artcam advantage maintenance, you are entitled to upgrades during your 1 year term. You should be running insignia 4. You will see some substantial advantages between 3 and 4. If you don't have a new reseller, they can direct you to who should be servicing you.

Not sure if this will help but you may also look at a pod system. Using Phenolic as your base. Not sure if it will be rigid enough for your use but phenolic should have ZERO impact from humidity.

Steve knight
08-22-2008, 12:48 AM
what about using a more stable material and making a direct vacuum top. do the parts shape vary? instead of a bleeder board idea you make a solid one with pockets slightly smaller then the part and a hole to let the vacuum in.
here is a picture. above is the pat below is the pocket for the part. a couple of pads to keep the material from flexing and a hole for the air. this will actually hold better then a bleeder board. it works well for small parts too. but of course it is a custom fixture so it's not as versatile

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/jig.jpg

Corky Cook
08-22-2008, 8:29 AM
Thanks Steve,

A good idea for smaller parts but most of mine vary from 19 x 31 to 30 x 103. No two exactly alike. Maybe I should look at making 3 or 4 generic sizes to use in this way. And I'm definately looking at a way to close off the area and AC. I know of at least six other CNCs close to me, all but 1 are in AC. The 1 that's not has my problem. Looks like if I'm going to keep up with competition I'd better be cool too.

Steve knight
08-22-2008, 1:17 PM
Yes if you put all your drawings in one file you may be able to work it out.
or you can go with high vacuum and pucks. that may be the way to go.
get a pen attachment and draw the outline of the pieces on material that is non pourus held with your regular vac setup and place the pucks. this should be fast once you get it down.