PDA

View Full Version : Band saw blade tensioning

Prashun Patel
08-19-2008, 1:26 PM
Curious: do you all untension your bandsaw blades between uses? I'm new to the bandsaw and don't want to damage my tires...

Jason Beam
08-19-2008, 1:34 PM
Yes.

Some say it isn't needed ... others say it is. 5 seconds to never find out who's right? I do it :)

Peter Quadarella
08-19-2008, 1:50 PM
I do because I have a quick release tension handle thing. If I didn't, I probably would not bother. They (them again) say that leaving it tensioned can cause extra wear on your blade, tires, and machine, which makes sense to me, but I don't think it really makes that much of a difference in practice. People used bandsaws for decades and never thought about detensioning until relatively recently.

Verne Mattson
08-19-2008, 2:16 PM
I always de-tension. I've also read conflicting views on this, but the majority is on the de-tensioning side. I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially since I might not use it for a week or two between projects.

I find it to be a minor pain. I would love to install a tension lever like that made by Carter, but my shop is in my basement, and with a riser and mobile base the saw barely clears my home's support beam. The Carter adds another inch or so to the overall height. I don't want to keep my bandsaw on just one side of the basement!:rolleyes:

Dave Sweeney
08-19-2008, 2:16 PM
Add me to the list of those that detension the blade after each use.

Frank Drew
08-19-2008, 2:32 PM
People used bandsaws for decades and never thought about detensioning until relatively recently.

True, but you've no doubt noticed that most older bandsaw tires have deep grooves permanently compressed into them. Oliver replaced the tires on my 192-D wheels and recommended detensioning the band between uses; it never would have occurred to me without their suggestion.

Takes maybe all of 15 seconds at the beginning and end of each workday, even without a quick release (make it a habit, like turning on and off the lights).

Verne Mattson
08-19-2008, 2:41 PM
If you do loosen tension, make yourself a little sign as a reminder. I made mine out of a flat refrigerator magnet. Even though I'm really good about it, there were a couple of times I started the saw with the blade loose. No harm done, fortunately, but I like my little reminder.

Larry LaRoque
08-19-2008, 4:37 PM
If you do loosen tension, make yourself a little sign as a reminder. I made mine out of a flat refrigerator magnet. Even though I'm really good about it, there were a couple of times I started the saw with the blade loose. No harm done, fortunately, but I like my little reminder.

I left the knob loose on the shaft and simply take it off and set it on the saw table near the blade at the end of the day, hard to miss when I use the saw again. :D

glenn bradley
08-19-2008, 5:04 PM
I do. I have a little plastic clip that goes on the power switch when the blade is loose as a reminder.

Pete Bradley
08-19-2008, 5:22 PM
Curious: do you all untension your bandsaw blades between uses? I'm new to the bandsaw and don't want to damage my tires...
:eek: This question comes up regularly. If you do a search for "detension" in the forums, you'll get as many answers as you could want. Some of them even make sense.

Pete

Russ Hauser
08-19-2008, 5:40 PM
I detension mine with the nifty lever...... when I remember to do it.

Russ

Eddie Darby
08-19-2008, 7:53 PM
I crank the handle a specific number of turns after use, so I can crank it right back to where it was during use again.

It can't hurt to do it!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-19-2008, 8:53 PM
I did it and cant remember how many turns I did it by.....So I'll try to tape a card with that information the next time.

I'm telling you folks, develop a sense of humor about yourself as you get older or you could live an awfully long time!

Steve Clardy
08-19-2008, 8:57 PM
No...The few times I did, I forgot it wasn't tensioned :o

John Thompson
08-19-2008, 9:04 PM
On both BS's. One has a tension release.. one doesn't. As stated much debate but I got the issue covered by doing so. And as Verne mentioned always be sure to check to see you re-set it. It can get nasty on occasion if you don't.

Sarge..

Earl Reid
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
My old Sears 12" , !963 modle has never been detentioned
and still has original tires. It is the second most used power tool in the shop,
Earl:)

harry strasil
08-20-2008, 2:06 AM
I use a shop made detension/tensioner I made after I had to replace the original rubber tires when they came loose. Best way I can explain why its needed in a simple way, is to remember the vehicle tires before steel belted radials, the vehicle set overnight and in the morning especially when it was cold, You thumped down the road for aways till you warmed the tires up enough to make them round again.

Just think of the stress on the BS blade when it gets a bit looser then tighter each revolution when running. Also the problem is compounded when trying to make a cut and the blade tension varies as the wheels turn.

Mark Singer
08-20-2008, 9:05 AM
the Trimaster should be de tensioned. I had one fail under tension

Raymond Fries
08-20-2008, 4:59 PM
But then I have the nifty lever also. :)

harry strasil
08-20-2008, 6:27 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73734&highlight=bandsaw