PDA

View Full Version : Couple of slim line pens

Glenmore Henry
08-19-2008, 3:36 AM
Here are 4 that are going to the Th Artillery shown the group in an earlier post here are a couple of individual ones the one that isn't listed in the picture it self is a juniper with a gun metal finish. Hope you like them.

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2008, 7:35 AM
Glenmore - all are very nice pens and sure to be appreciated by their new owners! Hard to pick a favorite but the Red Cedar really stands out! Very nice work!

Brian Loucks
08-19-2008, 1:10 PM
Very nice work Glenmore,
I've just started playing around turning pens and have become addicted already. A few more practice pieces and I'll be ready to go public with a few pictures. How did you finish them? I'm trying different techniques to come up with one that I like the best.
Brian

Glenmore Henry
08-19-2008, 1:31 PM
Thanks Steve hope they come back safe. Had my preist bless all the pens before they go in harms way.
Brian I been experimenting with my finishes. I start out with 150grit sand paper and work my way up to 1200 micro mesh. I use hut crystal coat and then the glossy white hut bar to top it off really like the results. Tried CA glue finish once and that should tell you how that went. I know a lot of pen turners use but all thumbs and skin stuck together hahaha so I shied away from using it.

robert hainstock
08-19-2008, 5:47 PM
Glenmore, I recetly switched to CA after using wipeon poly for two years. I keep a can of acetone around for "sticky finger relief. I buff longitudinginly with tripoli after aaplying two or three coats. Then go to white diamond. The poly is exxcellant, but takes too long to cure. In any case you need a finish that can be buffed, people seem to like the shiny finish. Good luck, and let us know how it works out. Try this site for his
pen finishing video, www.woodturneruss.com (http://www.woodturneruss.com)