PDA

View Full Version : Pear tree info needed

Rick Potter
08-19-2008, 2:41 AM
I live in SoCal, and have a pear tree in the back yard that my dad planted about 15-20 years ago. It never got watered much, and I never saw pears on it. It's only about 12-15' high. In the last three years it has been watered and now has pears on it.

The problem is....I know nothing about pear trees, so I would like to ask a few questions please.

1. Do they need a freeze to produce good pears? We get a couple nights of high 20's here, but that's about it.

2. How much water do they like?

3. How much should I trim it this winter?

4. When do I pick them? They don't seem to ripen on the tree.

5. If I pick them green, will they ripen indoors, or just rot.

Thank you,

Rick Potter

Joe Pelonio
08-19-2008, 8:28 AM
We lived in the SF Bay Area (rare freezes) and had over 30 pear trees. They do not require a freeze, most varieties do require another pear tree to pollenize. Once well established we never watered them, however in your drier climate I'd say a deep soak around the "drip line" about once a month during summer. All pears are picked green, and ripened off the tree. If you let them ripen they will quickly rot and/or be eaten by birds. They also will gave a gritty texture.

You know they are ready when the base is lifted gently and the stem snaps off the tree. Place in single layer at room temperature until they turn yellow and start to feel soft.

Pruning, which I had to do for many years. I'd cut the new vertical growth to 3-5 buds, always cutting on a bud that faced the outside of the tree. Other than that, remove any dead or crossing branches.

julie Graf
08-19-2008, 10:52 AM
thanks for the info & post. i have a small pear tree - must be a dwarf variety - with a lot of pears on it that i have been wondering what to do with...

Ted Shrader
08-19-2008, 2:51 PM
Rick -

Joe's info/guidance seems to work for us. Our major problem here in southeastern Virginia is the battle with the squirrels. It is a contest to see who will get the pears first.

We have picked (from a single tree) so far this year about 3/4 of a bushel. Many have fallen off and many others attacked by squirrels and birds.

Regards,
Ted

Joe Pelonio
08-19-2008, 4:14 PM
Rick -

Our major problem here in southeastern Virginia is the battle with the squirrels. It is a contest to see who will get the pears first.
Ted
Aha, another squirrel foe! My apple is completely covered with netting and so far so good, no attempts to steal them though they are not ripe yet, and there were a couple of bites taken out of one zucchini. I have a 3 variety espalier pear but it's young yet and the 3 types never have blossoms at the same time so they don't get cross pollenated.

Eddie Watkins
08-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I have a pear tree that produces very firm fruit. The texture is more like an apple. The flavor is great. LOML bought it and I planted it several years ago. Late freezes semm to always get it but the years it does have fruit they are really good. I took some to work to share and was told they are Asian or Indian pears(as in India). The tree is not very big and is more tall and slim.

mark page
08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Joe,
I can't remember and too lazy to search posts. Was it you that planted an apple tree and the first year it beared fruit the squirrels or some other critters got to them. It all boiled down to IIRC that there was "one lone apple" on the tree that was left. IIRC if it was you that you were guarding it "like the DODO birds were guarding the last melon" in the Ice Age movie my kids love.:D

Rick Potter
08-20-2008, 2:13 AM
Great info as usual on the Creek. Has anyone ever asked a question which no one answered with knowlege and experience?

Squirrels? Hey, this is SoCal. Most of the squirrels around here live in the ground. Other than birds, it's my dogs that are the problem. They seem to have developed a taste for fruit fresh off the tree.

Rick Potter

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2008, 8:20 AM
Joe,
I can't remember and too lazy to search posts. Was it you that planted an apple tree and the first year it beared fruit the squirrels or some other critters got to them. It all boiled down to IIRC that there was "one lone apple" on the tree that was left. IIRC if it was you that you were guarding it "like the DODO birds were guarding the last melon" in the Ice Age movie my kids love.:D
Yes, that was my Gravenstein, no apples on it this year, and the one lonely apple last year shriveled up and fell off at the size of a walnut, may not have been fully pollenated.

Jim O'Dell
08-20-2008, 7:22 PM
We have one pear tree in the back yard the LOML insists I will cut down this winter. Been here for 4 summers now, and not a single pear made it past the walnut size...squirrels take a bite, then throw them at the dogs on the ground barking at them.:D Lots of mess to pick up for weeks.
Growing up, neighbors always picked the fruit in September, and wrapped them in newpaper, and put them in a cardboard box, no top. Stored them in the cellar and they kept for weeks. I remember getting them at Halloween instead of candy, and they were always delicious. Jim.