PDA

View Full Version : Cadex or Grex?

Richard Andersen
08-18-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a 23 gauge nailer, probably the 1 3/8" model. Both Cadex and Grex rate high in the tool reviews and feed back from this site. I like the Cadex for its versatility to shoot slight headed brads. When I do a search I find more on Grex and don't know if there is a reason Grex seems to be more popular. If you had a choice of either the Grex P635 or Cadex CPB23.35 which would it be and why?

Jim Becker
08-19-2008, 9:20 AM
Well, you could add Nickel to your list, too! LOL

Both the Cadex and Grex are fine tools. I bought the Grex recently when I wanted more capacity in a pinner than my old Accuset delivered. I'd probably be equally happy with the Cadex. If the alternative fastener (slightly headed brads) capablity is important to you, then the Cadex might be a better fit. It wouldn't for me 'cause I bought the pinner specifically to have nearly invisible fasteners for finish work, such as face frames. If I need more holding power, I reach for a different gun.

BTW, Welcome to SMC!

Greg Robbins
08-19-2008, 9:47 AM
I've had the cadex for 3 years and never had a problem with it. It works very well.

David DeCristoforo
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Ferrari or Lamborghini? RR or Bentley? Which name you like better?

Mark Grotenhuis
08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I've had no problems with my grex. Works great

Kevin Gagne
08-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I have been using my Grex for 6 months and have had no problems. I have used it on hard and soft woods and it always performs great.

Don Brubaker
08-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm looking into purchasing a 23 gauge nailer, probably the 1 3/8" model. Both Cadex and Grex rate high in the tool reviews and feed back from this site. I like the Cadex for its versatility to shoot slight headed brads. When I do a search I find more on Grex and don't know if there is a reason Grex seems to be more popular. If you had a choice of either the Grex P635 or Cadex CPB23.35 which would it be and why?
Richard,
It seems I shopped the 23 Ga pinner's forever ...... at least a year. I saw, and demo'd the Grex's at two woodworking shows over a year apart. They are "pretty green", but found that was about the extent of it. I finally found the articles that reviewed the Cadex, which I had never heard of. It has the best range of lengths, and the best features, and the best pricing for the features.
And yes, I finally got one from the best seller I could have hoped for, and I found it on Ebay ....... here is his info:
Bob Gadd
Woodworker Specialties
c/o Maillardville Post Office
1031 Brunette Ave PO Box 57508
Coquitlam BC V3K 6S8
email: csr@woodworkerspecialties.com
www.woodworkerspecialties.com (main website)
www.23gauge.com (Shortcut to specialty air nailers)
www.swissmadecarvingtools.com (CARVERS - shortcut for you!)

He also has EVERY size pin, including partial headed pins (that work in the Cadex - but not in the Grex). Very reasonable, and fast shipping.

I've used the Cadex for 9 months now and am extremely happy with it. The biggest problem with Grex is their sales tactics at the woodworking shows! Well, of course there are things that swayed me to the Cadex ..... quality, just a couple models instead of many, and the Cadex has all the range you could want up to 2" I believe. Adjustable depth, viewing of pins, large pin capacity, swivel air connector, side air blower for blowing away any residual dust while pinning, etc.
One review is http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2007/10/cadex_cpb2350_23_gauge_pinner_1.php

Basically ...... highly recommended.

"Gary Brewer"
08-19-2008, 3:27 PM
Richard: I looked at this a few years ago and have seen in person both guns. They look very similar in construction and may share parts ( just my hunch ). They both are high quality guns. The prices are relatively similar or at least when I looked two years ago. The cadex shoots slight-headed brads which greatly increases the functionality of the gun. Some times you want to have the nail pull the wood toward what is being nailed. The headless pins keeps alignment only. To me it was like deciding to buy two identical cars but one has two wheel drive and other has two and four wheel drive for the same money. Would you like the extra features for no cost? I got the cadex ( 1 3/8" ) and then tested the holding power of the slight-headed pins vs the headless pins. Those little slight-headed pins added tremendous grip where the headless had none. There is more hype for the grex but the cadex is a better value in my opinion. I am very happy with it.
FWIW
Gary