PDA

View Full Version : I am mad at woodcraft

Mike Stanton
05-03-2004, 1:02 AM
I drove 80 miles one way to portland store to get the incra 1000se . I got home and put it together and I don't like it ,So today I drove sanother 80 miles one way to take it back and they told me that they will not give cash refund on over 50 dollars they said it had to come from corp office.I was spendind 30 dollars today . I have got a 735 planer with stand plus extenions plus a jet table saw plus a jet band saw from them. I will never go there again. I told them I was going to post about it on the internet also. Mike Stanton

Howard Barlow
05-03-2004, 1:25 AM
It's not unusual or unreasonable for stores to have such a policy. They may not have enough cash on hand to make the refund. What if you bought a $2000 tool and didn't like it? How much cash should they have on hand to satisfy the refund? What if another guy comes in before or after you with the same request.

If they did give you the refund, it may leave them without enough cash in the drawer to make change for the guy that drove 100 miles to spend $50 and couldn't get change for his $100.

The fact they will take it back and give you a refund at all should be enough. Seems to me you would have asked the question before you loaded up the machine and headed home. "What if I'm not happy with it? Can I get a refund?"

Just my 2˘ worth.

Lee Schierer
05-03-2004, 8:33 AM
So if you need corporate approval, get the name of the person you need approval from and call them if you wnat the cash refund. Most stores keep limited amounts of cash on hand for a variety of reasons. Were you there when they first opened in the morning?? Did you talk to a clerk or the manager? Since you were already a customer and were planning on spending another $30 that day, a $150 store credit should be useful to you. You could have kept your $30 cash in your pocket, walked out with the new items you wanted and had $120 credit for a rainy day.

Lee

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 9:03 AM
Interesting response from them..."who's" corporate office? Almost all Woodcraft stores are franchises and locally owned!

Greg Heppeard
05-03-2004, 9:11 AM
Mike,

Most of the Woodcraft stores are now franchises. I manage the one in Tulsa, OK and we have a policy that if the return is for over $50, we either offer a gift certificate (works like store credit) or I write a check. If the purchase was made with a credit card, we can do the refund to the credit card. If I'm not on duty at the time, and the customer wants a check refund, he/she would have to wait until I was back to work...I'm the only person, besides the franchise owner that is authorized to write a check. I'm sorry you had such a hard time getting your refund. I don't know what the policy is for that franchise, I can only tell you what works here. I suggest that you call the manager and discuss the event with him/her, or the owner. The phone number to the store is 503-684-1428.

Richard Allen
05-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi Mike

If Woodcraft isn't living up to your expectations you should do something positive about it.

They should have given you your money back. This is their Satisfaction Guarantee:

"Satisfaction Guaranteed –We Promise!
We're absolutely confident that you'll be satisfied with your purchase from Woodcraft! If you're not, return it anytime within a year and we will gladly replace the product, give you credit, or refund your money, whichever you prefer. Returns of special-order items or manufacturer drop-ships through the Endless Toolbox are subject to a 25% restocking fee.
Your satisfaction is guaranteed – we promise!"

That store did not live up to your expectations. You should mention this issue to the corporate office:

Toll-free in North America - 800-225-1153
Regular Phone - 304-428-4866
FAX - 304-428-8271

Woodcraft
PO Box 1686
Parkersburg, WV 26102-1686
USA

custserv@woodcraft.com

At this point I think Woodcraft should send you a refund by mail and a prepaid return shipping sticker. That is what you should ask for if you contact them.

Good Luck

Scott Coffelt
05-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Not sure on the cash policy thing, I know that everytime I have needed to return something there has been no questions and returned. I usually use plastic when I shop there (love those free miles :D ). Anyways, custoemr service is the only reason I ever shop there beyond quick need. Their prices are usually not the best, but you do have to buy to keep them around for when you really need them. Heck, I have returned things without a receipt and they look my stuff up in their computer and there has never been a problem. Besides, many stores have the same policy if the purchase is greater then XX $ amount, a check is issued. There are two reasons this is done 1) They usually do not have too much cash on hand 2) Protection against check fraud (this allows time for larger checks to clear before a new check --return-- is processed). To avoid this, pay by CC, I've never had an issue with getting a credit.

Let's try it this way... Imagine you owned a business, how would you handle purchases and returns for larger amounts? Or what about selling something on EBAY, if someone wrote you a check, would let it clear before you mailed the item? Would you look at it differently if it was $5 versus $500?

I don't know if you wrote a check or not, but this just some of the reasoning that goes behind their policies. 90% of us are honest, its that 10% that they have to protect themselves against.

Mike Stanton
05-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I paid cash for the tool. I can understand if it was a large purches. But It was 150. And I was geting 30 dollars dust mask and it would be 120 cash. If they said they did't have the cash today and wanted me to come back another day that would be ok. They did not even offer me store credit. Mike

Greg Heppeard
05-03-2004, 12:57 PM
I would definately bring this matter up with the store manager and possibly the local franchise owner too.

Mike Stanton
05-05-2004, 9:18 PM
I called the owner at the Eugene store and told him what happened. He told me to bring it to him and he wrote me a check Not a problem he said wants to keep his customers happy .I bought more things that day. Thanks for any help Mike

David Rose
05-06-2004, 5:26 AM
Aha! I just pegged you, Greg. Yeah, you guys pulled that on me too. I got the "store credit" and ended up spending another hundred before I could get out the door with it. :D Bummer! Why do you have so many fun toys in one store? :o

David, who is overdue a trip to Tulsa

Mike,

Most of the Woodcraft stores are now franchises. I manage the one in Tulsa, OK and we have a policy that if the return is for over $50, we either offer a gift certificate (works like store credit) or I write a check. If the purchase was made with a credit card, we can do the refund to the credit card. If I'm not on duty at the time, and the customer wants a check refund, he/she would have to wait until I was back to work...I'm the only person, besides the franchise owner that is authorized to write a check. I'm sorry you had such a hard time getting your refund. I don't know what the policy is for that franchise, I can only tell you what works here. I suggest that you call the manager and discuss the event with him/her, or the owner. The phone number to the store is 503-684-1428.