PDA

View Full Version : What do you make for the military?

Steve Clarkson
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I just read yet another post from someone that runs an engraving store on a military base. Is there really that much demand for laser engraving for the military? I'm about an hour away from an army base and hadn't really thought about tapping that market. Is it primarily awards and plaques or are there other items in high demand from military personnel? Anyone care to share some examples? Thanks!

Frank Corker
08-19-2008, 5:42 AM
Steve I'm sure that you will get quite a few replies here. There are a few engravers who do just that. It has to be a good source to sell engraving stuff, I know that for police there is a similar demand for mottos and logos, steel yourself and approach them. They are bound to have an internal store that would be more than happy to see you. Anyway, what is the worst they can say to you? "Get lost we don't like engravers in Area 51"

Mike Null
08-19-2008, 7:17 AM
I do some military work-mostly at Scott AFB but some Navy work as well. These are usually quarterly and annual awards--usually plaques or some other award with personal id. as well as outfit id.

I also do some Coast Guard work--mostly labels for the cutters they use on the rivers.

Marty Boeckers who is a member here runs the engraving shop at Scott AFB and does much greater military and civilian volume than I. Don't forget the civilians as they get a lot of awards too.

Also, think about flag boxes with rank emblems and ribbons.

Steve Clarkson
08-19-2008, 7:56 AM
"Marty Boeckers who is a member here runs the engraving shop at Scott AFB"....................see what I'm saying? Yet ANOTHER Creeker that runs a shop at a military base......in order to have an onsite engraving shop.......there MUST BE a huge demand for laser engraving by the military. But do they really need that many plaques?

David Fairfield
08-19-2008, 8:21 AM
Another great thing about doing engraving for military types is the availability of ready-to-go clipart for insignia. If doing police insignia, watch out for licensing issues. Out here, everything NYPD is copyright.

Dave

Belinda Barfield
08-19-2008, 8:54 AM
Good golly! I'm within 15 minutes of one military base, and within an hour of two more. I don't mean to sound stupid (that hasn't stopped me in the past) but, do military bases have purchasing agents? Who should be my initial contact?

Mike Null
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
1. Do they really need that many plaques? Well, that's their decision but they buy a lot.

2. These awards are usually purchased in small quantities by individual depts. rather than by purchasing agents. (I will reject any offers to bid from purchasing agents as it isn't worth the time) but virtually all of the depts give quarterly and/or annual awards. These are handled from dept budgets on military credit cards. Going away/ retirement awards are sometimes handled by collection of funds within the the dept.

A typical quarterly order for one dept. might include 5 military awards and 3 civilian awards.

These are categories such a FGO, CGO, SNCO, NCO, Airman, CIV. 1, 2, 3.

It could be any number of things including pen sets, plaques trophies, acrylics, etc.

There are other kinds of work available as well but I would rather not reveal that now.

Phil Salvati
08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I think you are limiting yourself when you think of The military as a group too.

I make a lot of different things for the military members, more than the Military as a whole.

For instance, Zippo lighters, Leather name patches, License plates, Denim jackets with service logos, battalions etc laser engraved. Plenty of POW-MIA patches, motorcycle parts and chrome as well.

Laser dog tags for family members with troops abroad is a hit as well as the two single star flags, made as a car mirror medallion, that signify a family member abroad or lost in service.

There are hundreds of items to gear towards the military as well as the The police and fire departments.

Phil

Jim Good
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
It all comes down to the marketing. I'm guessing the military would be interested in a lot of the fine products that can be made. They just need to know that the products are available and how they can get them.

Jim

Steve Clarkson
08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Exactly Jim. I'm just wondering what these products are......and Mike's keeping it a secret from us!!!! Just kidding Mike!

And thanks for the list Phil......although smoking isn't politically correct anymore (ie. lighters)......I'm sure it's still pretty popular in the military.

See.....I knew it was more than just plaques.........

Mike Null
08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
steve

There is another category that is hot with those in and out of the service and that is LaserBuzz tributes.

http://www.laserbuzz.com/

For those who will be attending the show in Indy in early Sept. Tom Bernard is usually there and you can see these first hand.

Marc Myer
08-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I work for the military in the Pearl Harbor area, and as a result I don't do any military work. It's a conflict of interest thing, and I'd like to keep my day job :)

But keep in mind the military is made up of lots of people, and each department or group can be marketed to just like anyone else. The Navy, as far as I know, does not sign contracts for services such as these, they simply use the phone book or personal contacts.

If it were me, I'd begin asking around and prepare a special promo piece that can be sent to department secretaries, etc. You'd be surprised at how independent each activity/department is. Word of mouth can be effective. There may also be a military phone book you can find which will provide you with contacts.

martin g. boekers
08-19-2008, 1:02 PM
My ears are ringing, is someone talking about me?:rolleyes:

Stephen Beckham
08-19-2008, 3:00 PM
Steve,

I'm 2 miles off of base now and business if off the hook. A month ago I was 15 miles off base and business was just steady. Being an hour away, you might make an effort to fine a niche around base. Your homework assignment should include price comps and visits to the engravers near base - not sneak peaks, but professional visits - if they're rude to you, count your blessings because they're probably rude to the customers too!

There is at least one engraver (and frame shop) at the MWR shop on every base and usually two or three off base. There are three total here (including me). We are all three gangfully employed most of the time.

We are all friendly towards each other and have offered help on two way streets - work has also been pushed from one to the other when objectives couldn't be met or something wasn't on hand. I've even used some stock and replaced it from one of them to meet a job requirement. It can and will be competitive, but can still be professional.

The difference is we all offer some similar items and then we all have our own line of stuff that other two doesn't carry. MWR is limited to what or who they can buy from - so they don't carry much local artist work - coin holders, saber holders, stetson holders etc.

The laser buzz items work well as a PX concessionaire - free to set up, 20% of your take at the end of the week. If you're interested - being as far as you are, that might be your market for base. Get your foot in the door and sell pre-made items. Things like spouse prayers, veteran stuff, POW-MIA and other memorabilia works well. But while you're there, find out what people are looking for then start to carry it.

One other note - you'll have to apply to become an 'on-post' vendor. In most cases, you are not allowed to compete with MWR on base. So depending on what you're base has for MWR capabilities - you may be forced to sell off base only. Okay - one other 'one other' note. If you are set up portable - MWR can't do that. That's how I got my permit to sell on base when I was using the bus. I'd pull up, plug in, engrave, shut-down and leave... It was great!

Steve

Belinda Barfield
08-19-2008, 4:19 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the advice. Had you not posted this I wouldn't have remembered that there is a laser engraving business right at the gate to the post. If the owner is a member here, and has been following this thread, I would like to apologize. I wasn't intentionally trying to step onto your toes or your territory.

Frank Corker
08-19-2008, 5:39 PM
Good golly! I'm within 15 minutes of one military base, and within an hour of two more.

I doubt you would have been stepping on anyone's toes Belinda, jeez my moving to your area a week Thursday is stepping on toes, but with two bases baby, I'm there!

martin g. boekers
08-19-2008, 6:31 PM
MIlitary bases can provide a fair amount of business. Try to be creative, show them something they haven't seen before. Dress up standard awards and gifts with optional items.

Awards and plaques aren't the only items that are purchased. Think going aways, retirements, fundraising items and other items for special events.
If your into tee shirts or ad specialty items they buy that too!

Stop in the Arts & Crafts Centers on base and see the type of items they have there, then take it one step farther.

There are quite a few conference rooms on base, provide items for that. Don't forget coin holders, flag cases & shadow boxes.

I haven't even mention signage possiblities.

The list goes on and on and on. You have to be creative in your products
most of all keep a positive and friendly attitude then provide them with great service.

Don't forget the Veteran's Posts either. The work is there, the next step
is yours.

Marty

Michael McCoy
08-20-2008, 8:16 AM
Steve,
I don't know if something like challenge coin displays would work for your area or your equipment (I'm just lurking thinking about getting a laser :) ) but I've lost track of how many I've made on weekends in the last year. The first one was a retirement gift for a friend and I've since lost track of how many I've sold. Simple to mak and beats the dickens out of what you can find on the web sice most are just slotted boards with token engraving.

Mike Null
08-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Michael

That's especially nice work on the coin display. If you are interested in selling those in modest quantities i can put you in touch with a prospective customer.

Michael McCoy
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Feel free Mike. They have gotten a good reception and the one in the photos is rosewood and cherry.

Frank Corker
08-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Very nice work Mike. The plaque seems to be well carved, how was that done?

Michael McCoy
08-20-2008, 1:29 PM
Thanks Frank. The other side had an American flag carve - and were done with the CarveWright.

Frank Corker
08-20-2008, 7:44 PM
Well good example for the Carvewright!

Stephen Beckham
08-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Michael,

Exactly.... The guy down the street sells stuff like that at his store and I have one on display that I had commissioned. Prices are comparable, but design and work are different since they were different crafters. Like Mike (Null) I might be able to find a place or two to sell a couple of those - I'll ask before I PM you...

Stephen Beckham
08-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Belinda - I wouldn't sweat it - you have't been too forward (except maybe posts about falling to sleep :eek::D;)).

There are lurkers as well - that may or may not be local. We're all adults and should have thick skin with professional discussions. Going back to my comment about 'rudeness' it happens sometimes when people feel you're in their back or front yard. Truth be told - it's the American way... It also happens over 'intellectual ideas' when you see people make things. I love going to craft fairs and seeing signs of "NO PHOTOs" - what a riot...

Shin Zu (sp) said keep your friends close and your enemies closer (paraphrase). A business writer for one of them 'startup advice' magazine re-worded that to take it a bit further - you don't have to compete over the same product and cause friction. If you are communicating with your competitors to know what they like to do, and you can compromise on that item - then claim your niche in a different area.

Think about two markets in the same town. Piggly Wiggly doesn't have better Milk than Krogers - but they may offer it at $.25 less a gallon - meanwhile right next to it, the same egg's will be $.35 more per dozen than Krogers... Think that's an accident? I'm sure there are occasions where it may be, but for the best part, you'll have professional knowledge and planning that allows for survival between two local stores.

Belinda Barfield
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Belinda - I wouldn't sweat it - you have't been too forward (except maybe posts about falling to sleep :eek::D;)).

I'm never going to live that down, am I?:p

Thanks for the advice Stephen. There is another Creeker here in town (Judy Halliday), she doesn't post as much as she used to, but she does wonderful photo frames, photo albums, all types of wooden pieces. She has the perfect shop location down on River Street. Out of courtesy I don't display the types of products she produces if I do a A & C show in her back yard. I just don't feel right about it. I understand your point though about working in conjunction to provide the market with good products.

Sometimes things work out strangely, but well in the end. A couple of months ago a representative from one of my best customers asked me to demo the laser for him as his company was planning to buy a laser. Initially, I thought "great, well there goes that business". We went through the demo geared specifically towards the type of work he was interested in. Turns out, his company wants to purchase the same brand of laser I have so that they have a back up in case something happens to their laser, and I will get all overflow work once they are up and running. Actually I will have more work from them then than I do now because they don't realize the variety of things the machine can produce. For example, the company rep isn't thinking of things like luggage tags. Employees of this company travel constantly. Many of them will want personalized items but the company isn't going to want to tie the machine up producing items for employees for free. The little things won't set me up for retirement, but they do help pay the bills.

Stephen Beckham
10-23-2008, 2:31 PM
Steve,

Wanted to bump this thread back up and show you what I just sold 900 of... 500 of the tank and 400 of a circle (not as fancy, didn't include foto). I've got a few other guys looking for the possibility of buying a handful for their use...

Basic square cut Jewelry box. 1/4 Cast acrylic (2 - 4'X8' sheets).

The military coin tightly fits into place and allows for personalization on the acrylic. I was going to through buyers remorse on the full sheet of 1/4" when the first guy came in. Therefore I lowballed the quote figuring he'd buy 50-100 and he blew me away... Then he showed his buddy who was another coin custodian who bought 500 more.

Anyway - just wanted to show you so you could try it if you'd like...

Steve

Mike Null
10-23-2008, 3:10 PM
Steve

Congratulations on the sale but I can't tell from the picture what you did.

Bob Tate
10-23-2008, 3:22 PM
Laser Engraving really is popular with the military bases, here in Colorado Springs, two of the bases have their own machines, in the on post craft shops. Fort Carson also has a really good selection of glassware that can be engraved. It is popular with military folks to give soldiers a going away gift, personalized. That is the big attraction. The Craft Shops are Non Appropriated Funds ventures, meaning they support themselves. No tax dollars at work there.

Steve Clarkson
10-23-2008, 3:32 PM
Are you sure you didn't accidently attach the wrong picture? I know my eyes are bad, but I couldn't make out a tank in that picture to save my life.

Stephen Beckham
10-23-2008, 4:24 PM
Steve,

The tank is in the coin. Did you see Indiana Jones movie where he fought the Germans (okay - that was all of them - sorry). The one with the really old tank? That's the same tank on the coin with the crossed sabers behind it and the lightning bolt at the bottom.

Mike,

I attached foto's of the other coin. The custodian awarded it to me for the design work (remember, I don't charge setup charges and that impressed him - enough to get permission to award the coin and enough to bring in his buddy to work the tank coin up... Another argument, another time, but due to not charging the setup charge, it led to another $2K plus job...).

Since I still have it on hand, I took some photos to try and show how the acrylic piece holds the coin and lays down in the box. It mainly was supposed to keep the coin from moving around. But because of the extra real-estate, I offered to put the name of the coin in the plastic as well. Another option for the awardee is to take the acrylic piece out and stand it up on the desk as in the photo.

Steve

Mike Null
10-23-2008, 6:50 PM
ah ha!

Nice idea and good work.

Frank Corker
10-23-2008, 7:18 PM
Steve, that looks fantastic.

Martin Boekers
10-23-2008, 9:37 PM
Nice work Steve.

See with a little creativity what can be done.

I just finished a framed upright project that had engraving with 13 coins "press fit" in 3/16 acrylic. I'll post a shot of it this weekend to give you some ideas, now that your in with coins.

Coins are VERY big in the military and I guarentee that you show them ways that they can see both sides of the coin you'll be selling, word travels fast.

Congratulations on receiving a coin for your work. Getting "coined" is really
considered an honor.

Marty

AL Ursich
10-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I am retired from the Navy in 95 at San Diego. I got a GREAT Oak Plaque that was Laser Engraved in great detail with our unit logo and my name. I was Impressed, I had never heard of a Laser Engraver at that time. Saw my first Laser at a LA Wood Working show in 95. Then Sony had one where I worked in San Diego making Valve markers.... 5000 of them....

Back in the early 80's my brother and I were stationed together in Norfolk. I was on a old Tin Can and my Brother was on a Repair Tender ship. His shop also did the engraving and in my many visits I learned how to use a manual rotary engraver.

So back to the San Diego. As part of my retirement package, I got a few plaques and a shadow box with a flag and rotary engraved tags listing all my duty stations over 20 years along with all my ribbons and awards.

So anyone near any base with wood working skills can get into the Retirement Game... A big market....

With the Navy, you were at a duty station for anywhere from 3 to 5 years then transfer. So with a command of 100 people that can be a lot of transfer plaques....

Military Guys and Gals have a thing we call the "I love ME Wall"..... I will be a place in your house where you display all the Awards you get. Advancement and other special events with certificates and plaques. Events like crossing the Equator is called a Shellback or crossing the Arctic Circle... a Blue Nose.... All opportunities.....

So there are many other opportunities to cash in by word of mouth or by placing an ad in a Local FREE Military paper, every base has one... The life blood of the Car Dealers selling cars to Military guys.... "We Finance E1 and UP"....

Name Tags.... Some uniform's require Plastic Name Tags, I couldn't begin to count the number of Name Tags I have purchased.... Military LOVE Inspections.... And your uniform is subject to INSPECTION and that scratched name tag is an invitation to be looked at closer.... So a NEW Name Tag was in order at every BIG Inspection....

There are some great web sites of guys near bases making Engraved Wood Chests and everything Military.....

October is the New Fiscal Year in the Military and many transfers take place when the budget is refreshed. I had a Military Credit Card for my Travel Expenses since I was a Mobile Technician my last 4 years. A designated guy in my Command was tasked with finding the Plaques and Retirement stuff. He did not really care where he got it, as long as he got it.... Paid with a Credit Card then doing the paperwork later.

Don't discount the Retired Military guys too..... Some get sentimental about the military years and want a keep sake to hang on the wall.... Laser Engraved plaques fit the bill here... It's just marketing.... I am a member of 2 e mail groups for prior Military Guys. Two of the 3 ships I was on have active Groups... With yearly Reunions..... Another opportunity.... Contact the major Hotels in Military areas and ask if they book reunions.... I get daily e mails from the guys.... We are all getting OLD and have nothing better to do then tell SEA Stories.....

I have links on my web site in my "I love ME Wall"... On the Web.... http://www.poconodigitalwoodshop.com/my_personal_journey

I am too far from a base here, but when I was working at Sony in Philly, I was 22 miles from Fort Dix/McGuire AFB and I became friends with the Base Laser Engraver Jim. The 2nd Gulf War was in full swing and he was always busy...... Lots of Plaques.... K Bar Knife on a plaque and a name plate. He was a PX Vendor. Later he was out bid by a new vendor and moved off base. I had just bought my First Mistergram Laser Engraver and was setting it up.

Every Branch has it's traditions and people will always be happy to get a Plaque.... With the Navy, when I made Chief it was a Custom Coffee Cup with your name and rank on it.... They hung from a hook in the lounge on the ship..... Lined up by seniority.

Hope that helps.

AL