PDA

View Full Version : Cosman or Bird video?

Jake Helmboldt
08-18-2008, 9:36 PM
I have a Woodcraft coupon and planned to get Rob Cosman's Hand-Cut Dovetails DVD but it isn't in stock. They do have Lonnie Bird's Mastering Dovetails DVD, but I've not heard as much about it.

Can anyone chime in on which is better, or whether Bird's is worth the money? Everyone raves about Cosman's videos but I don't see as much about Bird's.

thanks, JH

John Dykes
08-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Buy a tool instead?

You could try renting them from SmartFlix... I've been very satisfied with that service.

And my vote would be Cosman... but I've not seen Bird.

- jbd in Denver

Pam Niedermayer
08-19-2008, 1:22 AM
I'd choose Kingshott's, now available in dvd.

Pam

Steve Hamlin
08-19-2008, 7:44 AM
I'd go Kingshott or Cosman. Klausz is good too - but perhaps more off-putting for an ab initio (IIRC he quotes twenty mins for a whole draw :eek:)
I found Bird the least in depth.
If the DT DVD isn't in - how about Rob Cosman's Mastering the DT Saw?

Brent Smith
08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Jake,

I'd go with the Cosman DVD. Rob has a natural talent for passing on the technical end of aquiring a handtool skill. Kingshott is also great at it, but I find he tends to drift a bit during his lesson (though that hasn't stopped me from buying and watching all his videos). As Steve mentioned, the Bird video isn't in the same lleague as the other two.

Eddie Darby
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
I would use your coupon for something else and go with Rob Cosman's DVD.

http://www.robcosman.com/

If you stick with the same teacher you will have the benefit of other DVD's as well.

John Dykes
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Yes - Kingshott.

But shouldn't every woodworker have the complete set of 4 of Jim Kingshott already? If you've not watched a Kingshott video, you owe it to yourself - and this craft - to do so. For the instruction, yes - but he has something more... He's not a woodworker, he's a craftsman who works with wood.

An exceptional talent, with an endearing way. It's my loss that I'll never have the opportunity to shake his hand.

- jbd in Denver

Brent Smith
08-19-2008, 1:30 PM
Yes - Kingshott.

But shouldn't every woodworker have the complete set of 4 of Jim Kingshott already?

- jbd in Denver

Hi John,

Actually there are 6 Kingshott videos out there!!!

John Dykes
08-19-2008, 1:33 PM
Oh reaaaaally??

I have planes, special planes, dovetails, and MT.

Now feverishly looking for the other two...

- jbd in Denver

Brent Smith
08-19-2008, 3:53 PM
Hi John,

The other two were "Sharpening the Professional Way" and "Sharpening Carving and Turning Tools". They were put out on VHS by the Craftsman's Guild in England, I haven't seen them offered on DVD yet. You might try Ebay for them or some of the woodworking book sellers.

Brent Smith
08-19-2008, 5:13 PM
Hi again John,

I just found both of them on Highland Hardware's website. Just check the video section.

My apologies to Jake, the OP, for this detour in his thread.

Jerry Gerard
08-19-2008, 5:48 PM
I just picked up the Cosman dvd combo , haven't watched it yet but I do like his style of teaching . There's some previews on Youtube on most of his dvd's .

Keith Starosta
08-19-2008, 8:40 PM
I've got four of Rob Cosman's DVDs, including the instructional dovetail video. I really like all of them. I've watched the dovetailing DVD four times, and am almost confident enough to actually try one!! :eek: :rolleyes:

- Keith

Jake Helmboldt
08-19-2008, 8:51 PM
Hi again John,

I just found both of them on Highland Hardware's website. Just check the video section.

My apologies to Jake, the OP, for this detour in his thread.

Brent, no worries. I see it as more info that I wouldn't otherwise have had to consider. OK, so Bird is out, but now I have to consider Jim Kingshott. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the input guys.

JH