PDA

View Full Version : Let's Try that Again - Solution for Turning Tool Storage!

Kent Cori
03-11-2003, 6:10 PM
My original post was apparently a victim of whatever dragged down the Creek site. For some reason, only the subject was posted. Here is the text that was supposed to go with it.

I’ve devised one solution for storing turning tools on a Jet 1236 lathe or the HF clone. I wanted something that would allow me to store the tools within easy reach yet not get piled high with chips. My solution was a $3.39 section of wire shelving from the local Big Box.

I bought a 12” wide by 48” long section of the type without an integral hanger bar. The small diameter wire spacers are 1” apart and wrap over the front edge. I cut off the last 6” so it fits within the interior space between the support legs. I drilled and drove two sheet metal screws into the front legs about 2 ¼” above the horizontal support brackets. The extra length of screw extends behind the legs. I then laid the cut piece of shelving up side down so that the short overhung edge was in the front and pointing up. I inclined the piece about 45 degrees so that the rear of the shelf was just touching the inside of the back legs. I marked the point where it touched and drilled a suitable hole on the vertical centerline of each leg. Finally, I inserted two more sheet metal screws from the back side of the rear legs so that the extra length of screw again extended toward the inside of the rear legs. Then I simply laid the inverted shelf back in position and put the tools handle down on the shelf..

This arrangement makes it easy to see the tips of the tools so that you can easily tell which one you want to grab. The open shelf configuration allows the chips to drop past the tool handles onto the ballast box below. Best of all, it is cheap! :D

John Miliunas
03-11-2003, 9:30 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Bet it looks pretty cool, too. (Hint, hint...how 'bout a pic or two?) :cool:

Kent Cori
03-12-2003, 3:07 PM
John,

I'll try to get some photos next week. I am currently out of the country and, therefore, not spending time in my preferred spot, the shop. :(

John Miliunas
03-12-2003, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by Kent Cori
John,

I'll try to get some photos next week. I am currently out of the country and, therefore, not spending time in my preferred spot, the shop. :(

Gotchya' Kent. Yeah, that *would* make it a bit difficult! Hope you have a safe trip! :cool: