PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments....PICS

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and I didn't get much shop time in during the weekend. I managed to turn a couple of Freedome pens and get more blanks ready to turn. I finished a English Maple bowl that I started almost a week ago now and this maple bowl was my first very serious attempt at making a decent bowl for once. I'm still new at bowl turning and still have a LOT to learn. I even managed to turn a Gentlemens Rollerball Pen for a guy at work who saw one I just made for a fellow SMC'er ;) that I still have to get engraved and shipped out. :D

I was commissioned today to make a couple of twin size beds for a guy at church and that will be the only real "flat" project I take on this year. I'm trying to dedicate as much time as I can to getting better on the lathe.

BTW, the bowl is English Maple and the pen posted here is Desert Ironwood. The pics don't do either one of them justice. :rolleyes:

Jim Ketron
05-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Great Job Dennis!!
Nice bowl and the wood on that pen looks great!
Do you use mini or full sized chisels on your pens?
Jim

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Great Job Dennis!!
Nice bowl and the wood on that pen looks great!
Do you use mini or full sized chisels on your pens?
Jim

Jim,

I use full sized turning tools on everything. Sometime I wish I had smaller turning tools to do detail stuff with, but hey, that takes more money and I have a septic system I still have to get fixed. :rolleyes:

I have one other Gentlemen's Roller ball pen but I'm not posting pics of it since it goes to a fellow SMC'er and I just don't want to spoil the surprise! :D

John Miliunas
05-03-2004, 7:58 AM
Hey Dennis, wonderful job on both! I'd say your "serious attempt..." was a resounding success! I have found Maple can get a bit "testy", especially when you're switching back and forth between sap and hardwood. Good job! I need to try one of those Gentlemen's pens one of these days. Obviously, it too would have to be made for someone else, as I don't believe I *qualify*! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 9:28 AM
It was a "this and that" weekend. Friday evening, Dr. SWMBO and I drove up to Dan Smith's place to pickup some cherry lumber...he did a bulk buy from a mill and was selling a portion. We had a nice time and brought home about 80 bd ft of material.

Saturday, after the normal morning abulations and watching Normie, I took to the tractor and mowed the "estate" for the second time of the season. I also removed the remaining portion of the old fence at the front of the property to make ready for the new fence to be installed in a couple of weeks. Taking care of that demo and disposal work saved a "few" bucks on the job, especially when you consider it's over 300 feet of split rail fencing! LOML and I then traveled off for a quick bite at Friendly's before selecting a new gas grill--it was time; the previous unit had been in service for a dozen years and just couldn't be rejuvinated for a third life.

The remainder of the day was spent flattening and skim planing the cherry I got from Dan and putting four bins of shavings on the paths of our vegatable garden. This helps keep weeds down and by next season, it's composted in place and available to add to the beds along with our normal compost. The DVD of the week was The Cooler, staring William Macey...a most excellent actor as well as a serious follower of the "spinny" thing activity.

Sunday was a day for stickering and stacking the cherry on the rack to dry further for use later this year, a major photography session for turnings as it was an overcast day and perfect for setting up an outdoor "studio" and for starting a small storage project for my office.

Pics:

* After the milling (should be a song...)
* Cherry "floors" in the garden
* The "bill box" gets started

John Miliunas
05-03-2004, 9:44 AM
As is the case with so many "good intentions", I did not find time to get on either lathe again this weekend! :mad: As of yesterday evening, I finally did get one of the "staging areas" (right in front of my little spinny thing) cleared, so I'll be able to get back on the pen bandwagon. :) Part of that "clearing" was the result of completing all the carcasses for the bathroom cabinets. :D The rest of the doors and drawers are next in line and I managed to get all my rough lumber milled and dimensioned, ready to make the doors (and finish one last face frame). Also did a real thorough cleaning of the cyclone filter. All I've got to say is, for those considering choices between a regular DC and a cyclone, I would very highly encourage you to do whatever you have to do to make it the cyclone! Wow! :eek: It never fails to amaze that, even though I clean that filter about every 3rd emptying of the bin, the amount of fine particulate coming off of it is extraordinary! Have a great week, all! Work safely! :cool:

Tyler Howell
05-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Too Nice Dennis,
Jim Looking good.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=877 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>I shopped till I dropped. Great weekend for checking off punch list items. Every correction seems to reveal a couple more.

The Phoenix Bench rose up out of the ashes this weekend. Got a chance to really test out my low angle block plane. You never warned me how satisfying the neander techniques could be.

Played some music with friends and tried out a few new licks. They were a hit.

Helped a friend cross over to this side of 50. A good time was had by all.

Have a good week. Play safe.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Scott Coffelt
05-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Jim, how was "The Cooler"? I almost picked that one, but went with "Kill Bill Vol. 1" and "Commander and Chief". Bill was typical Quintin, but I liked it. I really enjoyed the Commander, I like those strategy war type movies.

As far as my other activities, Garage sale on Friday and Saturday. It went better then expected as I really didn't have much to sell. I mentioned the bandsaw I sold.

Yard work.

I had a migrain (or least a nasty headache) yesterday, so sat around and watched NASCAR.

Byron Trantham
05-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Finally got all the finish work done the LOML sewing room. The light dividers are painted, all molding is painted, the two fluorescent fixtures are installed, the fan is re-painted, ceiling has been painted and the walls have been "Woolied". The ball is officially in my court. Tomorrow morning I cut 12 datoes and start construction of the wall hanging cabinets. :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Jim, how was "The Cooler"?
Good film. Enjoyable. Amazing that it was shot in such a short period of time. Be sure to watch the special feature after viewing the movie--it's about how they made a key scene in the movie and very instructive.

Robert Ducharme
05-03-2004, 1:02 PM
Power to all!

I was able to finish all the electrical and FINALLY tested the motors on the Woodmaster 725 and Agazzani B24. All spun up smoothly - now I can do some real damage :o Started hooking up the DC to the equipment but my neighbor needed help so we manually carried 100 bags (80#) of concrete from his truck to where is new closet foundation is going - up a hill!!! With all the work with concrete we seem to be constantly doing, we decided to jointly purchase a concrete mixer (minor gloat). Oh well, maybe I will get the DC hooked up sometime this month! Also started installing the sliding table from laguna onto my Delta Unisaw - found out they did not ship me a piece. Contacted them this morning and they are investigating. Back to the job so I can have a vacation from all this hard work. :)

Bart Sharp
05-03-2004, 2:58 PM
I spent a good seven hours or so on Saturday finishing the tile on our kitchen backsplash. No, the kitchen isn't that big, but boy am I slow! Sunday I caulked, and next weekend I will grout. I'll have to grab some pictures, I think it has turned out well. Other than that, just did a little grading for the second job and hung out with my girls.

Chris Padilla
05-03-2004, 4:18 PM
Michael Perata and I visited the Woodworking show in Sacramento on Saturday and I have a little gloat from that visit:

I have the purchase of MiniMax FS 41 Elite officially on order. This is their 16" Jointer/Planer combo machine. They threw in the mobility kit and a couple sets of HSS knives for the Tersa cutterhead. They also knocked down the shipping a bit. I am quite happy with the price and the extra goodies. :)

Today, Mr. Becker put me on the trail of someone wanting to dump a practically brand-new MM20 (20" MiniMax bandsaw) and of all places, the guy is in Sacramento. Doh! I was just there. Now I gotta talk SWMBO into freeing up funds for the BS. The Walker-Turner I have I may just "give" to my father...he seems to be having quite a bit of fun with the machine and he is hitting retirement age...don't wanna take some fun away from him.

The show killed my Saturday and Sunday I spent working on some of the little things on my EC like cooling and cable managment. Those two items proved to be more time-consuming than I thought and so working continues this week on getting all that done.

Fun, fun, fun Saturday!!! :D :D :D

Fred Voorhees
05-03-2004, 4:48 PM
After the township building inspector came out to ok my floor joists and the insulation job, it was right to work on laying the subfloor. Nine hours later and a tired right arm due to a bum elbow, the floor was down and complete. Late dinner that night while the LOML was away at her sisters.

That long day of floor work opened up Saturday for other stuff which included mowing the lawn, planting a couple of flats of annuals in the beds, doing some lawn patching in an area or two and cleaning up my garage bay that has had the floor sheathing stored in it for roughly three weeks. YEAH - I can finally park my truck back in the garage! Then heading off to the Saturday night dirt track modified races. Wasn't planning on going Saturday night because there was a special event in Central PA on Sunday evening. The weather gods changed all of that this weekend.

Sunday AM found me sinking a sharp Mustad into the lips of a few unlucky bass in a private pond of a buddy of mine just across the highway and then just puttering around with a few tasks until the days NASCAR race came on.

Bobby McCarley
05-03-2004, 6:28 PM
Finally returned to work on an idle project. Was suppose to go camping, but got up Friday morning and it was storming. Told the better half I could work in the shop and watch it rain better than sitting in a camper watching it rain. Finished up a set of pens for the FPP and while waiting for more pen kits I managed to work on a project that I have set aside for too long. I started making a wooden steam locomotive and coal car several months ago. It includes both flat work and turning so it satisifies both of my passions. Hopefully I can get it finished and add it to my collection of wooden models.

John Miliunas
05-03-2004, 9:31 PM
Hey Bobby, that's pretty neat! May we see more? :cool:

Steven Wilson
05-03-2004, 9:38 PM
Well you can see my weekend projects; install a 2HP Oneida commercial system and finish painting a bed for my daughter. The bedframe was one my mom bought 30 years ago and it was old at the time. I stripped the old paint off, painted it white with hot pink and red accents. Now I need to get the shop cleared so my CU350 combo machine can be delivered this week.

John Miliunas
05-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey Steve, looks like you've got plenty to "gloat" about! I do have a quick question on the cyclone, though: I note that you've got the cyclone mounted at a height for easy removal of the small fiber drum. Well, especially with that monster 350 you've got coming, might you not consider mounting the unit up higher to possibly accomodate a full-size drum later on? I've only got the small one on mine for right now, as well, but I mounted the unit up high enough for a large drum and simply threw together a stand for underneath the little drum until I replace it. Just a though, as it looks like you've got the clearance up above. :cool:

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 10:26 PM
I note that you've got the cyclone mounted at a height for easy removal of the small fiber drum. Well, especially with that monster 350 you've got coming, might you not consider mounting the unit up higher to possibly accomodate a full-size drum later on?
I was thinking the same thing...I fillled four 55 gallon bins worth of shavings on Saturday milling just under 80 bd ft of cherry. (flattening and skim planing to 15/16" for further drying) That took about two hours total with the FS-350...:o

Jim Baker
05-03-2004, 10:37 PM
We made the 3 hour trip to Peoria to participate in the Woodcraft Freedom Pem Turnathon. It was a good time. They had a good crowd for most of the day. It was good to see Terry Quiram again and also good to meet Bruce Shiverdecker. I picked up several good tips while I was there. Of course you can't come home emptyhanded from a place like that so I picked up an 8" slow speed grinder and Wolverine attachment. So far I really like it although I haven't used it too much yet. I also brought home a nice piece of Bocote to make a few pens out of. Can anyone tell me the proper pronunciation of Bocote?

Sunday I turned 10 Freedom Pens. I have about 20 ready to go. Tonight, I drilled and glued the rest of my initial 50. I should have them all ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Tyler Howell
05-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Earlier I mentioned the Phoenix bench, truly a Rube Goldberg special. The frame is from the magnetic tape transport for a vintage main frame computer system mid 1960s. It had welded on casters with a plywood top when I got it 29 years ago.
The top is a 1902 solid core door and sheathed with with reclaimed oak flooring from a moonlighting project I did. (Home theater and LAN.) The top is banded with 3/4 oak shelving from the home of a friend. The top glued and staple, is three inches thick, weighs in at 107 lbs.
The drawers and 100 lbs rated glides came from dumpster diving after a renovation project at work. The paint is left over from my home remuddling.
I have a hardboard sacrificial top for it and will put into service after it is sanded and finished. I'm bringing heavy equipment in to do the floors in a few months.
Nothing was purchased for this project except the bench dogs, Wonder Dog, hold downs. Loaded, it weighs about 400 lbs and is very stable. the clamps keep it real steady while hand planing.
The quick release vise was purchased from Rockler on sale for another project.
I like it, and the fact that most of it would be in a land fill some place makes it all the better.

John Miliunas
05-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Tyler, I've heard you make mention of "recycling" on numerous occassions. It's good to see you practice what you preach! That's a great idea on using the reclaimed flooring for the top! :) I'm contemplating the building of a genuine WW bench (nothing too big, though) with bench dog holes and all that stuff. Just don't know when I'll find the time. When I do, I may try to "cheat" a bit and do a top similar to yours. Looks great! :cool:

Tyler Howell
05-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Tyler, I've heard you make mention of "recycling" on numerous occassions. It's good to see you practice what you preach! That's a great idea on using the reclaimed flooring for the top! :) I'm contemplating the building of a genuine WW bench (nothing too big, though) with bench dog holes and all that stuff. Just don't know when I'll find the time. When I do, I may try to "cheat" a bit and do a top similar to yours. Looks great! :cool:Yea John, I'm going to do the bench thing too some day. That time thing is the issue. More than anything I wanted to get that #%@11 (#%@11) flooring out of my shop and what better way than put it to work. Virgin material is much more fun to work with so you gotta weigh all the factors. Even pulling the nails was a major production.This is a work table that with storage that moves. It can take a direct hit from a scudd missle and not dent it. ;) Later

Steven Wilson
05-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Well, especially with that monster 350 you've got coming, might you not consider mounting the unit up higher to possibly accomodate a full-size drum later on?
The mounting bracket is 24" down from the ceiling. According to the Oneida install instructions I would need to move it up around 12", to accomidate the 55g drum, which would place the motor about an inch from the ceiling (motor rises 10" above the bracket). I thought about the 55 gal drum but this is a temporary installation. As soon as I can sell my fathers house I plan on selling my house and moving to someplace with a shop. At that time I'll probably go with dual drums. Besides, I would rather take a break every once and awhile and empty a lighter drum.