PDA

View Full Version : Adding riser to Delta BS

Jim Eller
08-18-2008, 6:18 PM
I looking to add a riser block to my Delta, Model 28-280 14" bandsaw so I can do some bandsaw boxes.

OK, the questions:

What exactly do I need totally and where do I buy it?

What problems am I going to encounter?

Will it cut perpendicular the full length if it is adjusted correctly or do you get a lot of blade wobble? I'm currently using the Carter ball bearing system.

What size (width) of blades do you usually use with this system?

Once you install it do you ever have a reason to remove it?

???? Anything else you think is valuable ????

Thanks,
Jim

Chris Knudsen
08-18-2008, 6:30 PM
Hi Jim,
all that you need is the riser block kit from Delta (available at most Delta dealers) and some 105" blades. (you would need a wrench or two and a screwdriver of course) Once it is on, there is no real reason to remove it, as it comes with a longer arm for your upper guides. The most common blade which I have seen used with this is 105" x 3/4" x 3tpi, but that depends on what you are after, as in any other case of cutting with a bandsaw. If your saw has less than 1hp, just watch your feed rate if you are ripping 12" (for bowls etc):D.

Lance Norris
08-18-2008, 6:35 PM
Unbolt the arm and lower assembly. All the needed parts are in the kit. After the riser is installed and things are lined up, you buy longer blades and you are set. 105" blades are a standard, you can buy them in this length or have a local saw shop make them for you. For bandsawn boxes, buy an 1/8"~14tooth blade and for general purpose, a 1/4"~3 or 4 tooth blade.

Jim Becker
08-18-2008, 9:09 PM
Once you have the kit, what you really need is a helper...this is one tough job to do alone because the top end of the band saw is awkward to handle. And that can be dangerous to your body as well as to the saw. I did manage to do it alone with the Jet saw I owned years ago using blocks, etc., but it was darn tricky.

Oh, and this is not something you reverse. Once it's installed is stays there. It's not a trivial installation. Not difficult, but not "pleasurable", either.

rob mason
08-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Jim - if you purchase one, please list your source here - I'm looking for one as well. I've been shopping around and it is somewhat expensive; at least in MY book.

Steve Mellott
08-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Jim:

I just added a riser block kit to a 14" Jet bandsaw and the holes on the riser block were filled with paint. I had to clean them out to get the riser block to seat properly on the base frame. Other than that, the riser kit was easy to install with my father helping me.

Steve

Steven DeMars
08-18-2008, 10:47 PM
My wife & I did it . . . but it is a little on the heavy side . . . you will need help . .

Works very well though . . . .

Steve

Jim Becker
08-19-2008, 9:27 AM
I just added a riser block kit to a 14" Jet bandsaw and the holes on the riser block were filled with paint. I had to clean them out to get the riser block to seat properly on the base frame.

Oh, yea...I forgot about that one. Definitely some clean up is going to be indicated on many saws in this respect to get a good, accurate and clean mate of the parts.

Jim Eller
08-19-2008, 4:34 PM
Rob,

I'm still looking but right now it looks like $125 is about the cheapest. I can find them for a lot more.

Best I've found so far, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Y9GC/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=1103966921&ref=pd_sl_763bxcr39d_b

If anyone has and suggestions, jump in.

Jim

Lance Norris
08-19-2008, 4:48 PM
If anyone has and suggestions, jump in.

Jim

Grizzly has the riser kit cheaper, but there are 2 different kits. The difference is the diameter of the guide post. If the guide post is round on the Delta, (NOT 8 SIDED) measure the diameter of the guide post and post back here and I will tell you if the kit I got for my Ridgid, from Grizzly, will work or not.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H3051

Bart Leetch
08-19-2008, 4:59 PM
Also keep the shorter guard for the blade for when you want to cut real thick material because the long guard won't let you because it will hit the top of the inside of the case. DAMHIKT. I still have my short guard.

Dick Strauss
08-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Jim,
Amazon does have the delta riser block kits for under $100 from time to time.

As far as assembly is conecerned, I did have a problem with a Delta riser kit. Unfortunately Delta didn't drill the holes deep enough to accept the alignment pins on my first unit. If yours doesn't fit flush, call Delta immediately for a replacement.

Once I solved that issue, I did use some blocking to support the far end of the top assembly and completed it by myself.