PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning inner air filter of Jet AFS-1000B

Michael Panis
08-18-2008, 4:42 PM
Hi,

I'm curious how people clean the air filters of the units like the Jet AFS-1000B, especially the inner filter. The directions say to clean the inner filter either with blown air or by washing it. Blown air seems silly, since that will only release all the fine dust the unit worked so hard to get out of the air in the first place. Washing it is a pain since the filter cannot easily be turned inside out.

I searched SMC and only found one comment about cleaning it in a bath tub.

As for the outer filter, it seems to clean fairly well by whacking it against my driveway (i'm too cheap to buy a replacement). Any other techniques?

---Mike

Dave Sweeney
08-18-2008, 5:59 PM
Depending on how dirty mine is I either just take it outside and beat it around a little bit with my hand, wearing my respirator of course. The other method I use is to spray it down with the garden hose and let it air dry.

Jeff Duncan
08-18-2008, 6:08 PM
Blown air isn't silly if you do it outside with a dust mask on. If you decide for some strange reason to do it inside...well yes that would be silly:eek:

Anyway the way I clean mine is to use my hand to just knock the heavy dust off from inside the bag. Takes only about 5 minutes to do all 3 of my air cleaners and they're good to go.
Did I mention that I do this outside:confused:

I think washing is a bit overkill, but hey...whatever floats your boat!
good luck,
JeffD

Alfred Hoffmann
08-20-2008, 11:03 AM
I have two sets of the inner and outer filters. The outer one was bought at Woodcraft and has the wire mesh instead of paper so it can be cleaned with water easily without damage. The inner one I bought from Amazon. After replacement I clean them with a garden hose and let them dry thoroughly. I had to clean the inner filter only ones in two three years.

Tom Kelley
08-20-2008, 5:09 PM
I have a Delta with the same type of filter and have had some luck just using a shop vac. You need to use the long narrow tool to get into the folds. I didn't think you could wash them. I guess it's worth a try. The replacements are expensive!

Jim Becker
08-20-2008, 8:12 PM
I know that the inner pleated filter in my JDS is a royal pain to clean! And I'm reminded by this thread that I need to do it "soon". It's completely clogged from all the water borne spraying I did for my addition cabinetry.

Like Tom, I used a shop vac the last time I did it...outside of course...but I may just use compressed air next time, keeping myself upwind if at all possible.