PDA

View Full Version : Starting my shop (long)

Timothy Weed
08-18-2008, 2:36 PM
I'm between jobs right now and I've been "pretending" to be a woodworker for awhile even though all I have is a few hand and portable power tools. Last week I finally got fed up with saying "I hate this thing" every time I picked up a tool. (My main workhorse was actually a rotozip. Need I say more?) So I spent the better part of the week reading everything I could find on table saws, band saws, routers etc.

From my research, I had pretty much made up my mind to go with the Ridgid TS3650. However, this weekend I went to the local Rockler to look at their router table hardware and I ended up walking away with a Delta 36-978 on manager's blow out for $400 including fence. I was already starting to regret it before I even got home, partly because I had done all the research on one item and then bought something else which is never a good idea, but mainly because the price tag on the box said $589.99 and I began to wonder what was so bad about this thing that they slapped a just-get-it-out-of-my-sight sticker on it. I've been afraid to read any reviews on it because I don't really want to hear how much people hate it before I've even put it together. But my previous research seemed to indicate that Delta was a solidly mediocre brand. Not great, not trash.

As far as assembly goes, I'm not sure what I was expecting but I was dismayed by the estimated 4-6 hour assembly time. The instructions are a curious mix of the astute "Make sure the short panels are opposite each other and the long panels are opposite each other," and my favorite: "Using a straight edge, align the motor pulley with the arbor pulley in the saw cabinet." Now, I don't have a lot of experience with this type of thing but I somehow felt like this was perhaps the single most important step in the whole manual, yet they did not even bother to include a picture, leaving me to scratch my head thinking, "And I get my straight edge in there how exactly?" Eventually, I discovered that if you crank the blade tilt wheel way over it gives you a lot more room to see what is going on inside of the cabinet. By the way, the manual said nothing what-so-ever about ensuring that the motor shaft was parallel to the arbor, which again I'm assuming is reasonably important and was also far from easy since the motor mount was designed with about a half an inch of adjustment in any direction for each bolt. That step alone took about 45 minutes of trying to support the motor with my knee while I alternately loosened and tightened the bolts while checking the whole set up with the straight edge. I'm sure there's an easier way to do all of that and maybe the belt is more forgiving of a slight misalignment than I give it credit for but you can't have too much accuracy can you?

At that point I was already at the 6 1/2 hour mark and decided to call it a day. My favorite part of the whole operation was when the manual said to assemble the whole thing upside down and then flip it over with a MINIMUM of two people. Well, I immediately thought "Nuts to that" and assembled the it in the bed of my truck and then slowly rolled it over the edge so that the legs were on the ground. Which I admit had a rather high potential of going horribly wrong, but in fact went off without a hitch.

I realize this is pretty long for my first post but I wanted to share my experience and figured this forum was the best place to find people who care about such things.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-18-2008, 4:43 PM
First off, that is a very good saw. I have a 36-675 in my shop now and it has cut flawlessly since I bought it used from a buddy. While the Ridgid may be okay for some, I happen to think the Deltas are a cut above them, especially when it comes to service after the sale.

When you get it all set up right, I think you'll love it.

Von Bickley
08-18-2008, 5:12 PM
Sounds like it's time to start making sawdust. Congratulations on your new saw. You can build a lot of things with a tablesaw, mitersaw and router.

Now get busy.....:D

John Thompson
08-18-2008, 7:25 PM
Excellent contractors saw, Tony. I remember putting my first together in 1974 after using a circular saw under a piece of 2 x 4 ply for two years. Yep... I'm getting old I suppose.

You have taken the first steps of what hopefully will be a long journey. Take your time and take one step at the time until you reach the top rung. Enjoy.....

Sarge..

Don Bullock
08-18-2008, 9:52 PM
Timothy, congratulations on your first table saw. At least you did some research and knew more about table saws than I did when I bought my first one. As I recall, I just opened the Sears catalog, figured out which saw my wife and I could afford (not much -- we were just beginning our careers as school teachers) and went down to the closest Sears store to buy it. Enjoy.

Dave Lehnert
08-18-2008, 10:21 PM
That is a good buy on the saw. One advanage of doing all the assembly is you will get to know the saw. How to tune and maintain. The experience you gain now will be with you forever.

Glenn Howard
08-18-2008, 10:29 PM
That is a good buy on the saw. One advanage of doing all the assembly is you will get to know the saw. How to tune and maintain. The experience you gain now will be with you forever.

Great point Dave! Don't feel bad Tim, I also had done tons of research and was all ready to pull the trigger on a new Jet Proshop TS when a great deal on a Delta hybrid came available. Yes, the assembly was quite a chore, but like Dave points out, I know my saw inside and out, which will continue to come in handy with maintenance and calibration issues. Because unless you can afford to bring someone in to do all of this type of work for you, this kind of knowledge is an absolute must for a woodworker.

Timothy Weed
08-23-2008, 5:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have no doubt that it was a great DEAL, I'm still hesitant about whether it's a great SAW. I just don't have the best of luck on my impulse buys. I'm trying to adopt the motto of "You'll miss the quality far longer than you'll miss the money." But I'm unfortunately still a sucker for a bargain. Though to be honest, I am a little suspicious of the Ridgid brand in general, (for reasons I won't go into now) so maybe it is good that I didn't go that route.

Since I've had it about a week now I thought it time to post a review. It took me two days to completely set it up. I'm sure it wouldn't take nearly that long for someone who knows what they're doing, but if anyone is planning to buy one of these for a project they're working on that day... good luck with that.

My first impression was that the steel side plates are not very impressive (as opposed to cast iron). I think that's the only difference between the 978 and 979 as far as I can tell. I'm thinking about replacing them with some MDF panels or something but we'll see. I don't expect them to really be a problem in use, I just think that they look kind of cheesy.

I tried the nickel test once I got it all together. There is a little shudder when the motor starts that knocks it over, but once the saw is running, I can (carefully) stand it back up and it will stay on edge. Out of the box, the table seemed square to the blade at least within the tolerance of my ability to measure it (which may or may not be good, but it's as good as it's going to get.) The stop at 0 degrees for the blade angle is rather soft. Meaning that once the mechanism contacts the set screw, I can still give the wheel about another quarter turn, so I will need to use my square each time and not rely on that. The stock blade cut great through some scrap pine I had, but was pretty messy through plywood. I bought a Freud something and was planning on making some zero clearance inserts, but the new blade works quite well already so I'm holding off on that for now.

I then tried to dive right in with some compound miter cuts for a project that I had started several months ago but at the time, it defeated me with my hand tools. For some reason my cuts are coming out a little concave, which at this point I'm willing to blame on pilot error rather than the saw itself. Maybe I need a crosscut sled to do this? (Maybe I ought to just start with some !@#$ straight lines? Always got to make stuff more complicated...)

My one main issue is that I can not seem to get the splitter lined up properly. It's a real pain because you have to take the whole blade guard/splitter assembly off, then take the blade itself off, then get down in the hole with a straight edge and try to line the splitter support piece up with the blade support, then put it all back together again and... hey, it's still off a little bit. I have had a couple of times where the work will catch on the splitter and I have to stop the saw and back out of the cut. I'm about ready to ditch the whole safety assembly, but I really don't think that's a good idea. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Cutler
08-23-2008, 7:32 AM
Timothy

First off. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Pleased to meet ya'.

Second. You have a nice saw. There is really no need for any type of buyers remorse.

Compound miters are not an easy tablesaw operation for someone new to them. So please don't get down on yourself, they give even experienced woodworkers fits.

You are correct.The easiest way to control the material through the blade is with a purpose specific sled/jig. The blade at a 45 degree angle wants to lift the material, and trying to apply the downward force, forward motion and keep the material passing through the blade in a straight line is tough.

There is a book called "Tablesaw Magic" by Jim Tolpin. It's a great book with tons of pics, tips and jigs to make the tablesaw a lot easier to use.

The initial shudder on start up may be remidied with changing out the OEM belt. Changing to a link belt may alleviate this issue.

scott spencer
08-23-2008, 7:52 AM
Timothy - "Great" is a subjective term, but none of the contractor class of saw us without the issues of the motor hanging out the back. Most are very functional with proper setup. That is a really fine deal on a very good contractor saw. Far above "mediocre" relative to others in it's class IMO. While I'd rather have solid cast iron wings, I think you got the better fence with the steel Delta T2 than the Ridgid aluminum fence. A link belt might address the shudder you mentioned on startup if you're concerned about it. Microjig makes an inexpensive pop-in splitter that you might prefer. Once aligned and equipped with a good blade, that saw should serve you very well, and you've got $200 in your pocket for other items!

Enjoy and be safe!

95332 95333

Cary Falk
08-23-2008, 9:20 AM
That's a great table saw. I wouldn't regret the purchase, especially at that price. I don't think I haven't bought a tool that didn't require at least some assembly. If it makes you feel any better, if you had went with the Ridgid you would more than likely still be trying to assemble the Hercu-lift mobile base. I put on on my Delta 36-680 saw some years back. It is a great mobile base but it was a pain to assemble. I agree with the cast iron vs steel wing thing. At the price you got the saw, you can probably keep a lookout for some CI ones for cheep and be way far ahead. Make some sawdust and you will forget you assembly pain. Try a link belt to fix the startup shudder.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-23-2008, 9:32 AM
Try taping a straight edge to the table along the blade, then remove it to install the splitter...got a friend who did that with his.