PDA

View Full Version : "Zipcode Tablesaw" discontinued?

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I was in Sears yesterday, about 5 hours away from home. When we walked in, the "zipcode" table saw (22124) was on sale for $999, down $100 from the usual $1099. When I left about an hour later, there was a new sign posted above it saying the saw had been discontinued, and the clearance price was $849. Checked online, still showing $999. Was this specific to the store, or slowly making its rounds? Wife said if it went down by another $100, I could pick one up... :cool:

Curt Harms
08-18-2008, 1:39 PM
That'd be dumb--the zipcode saws are one of the very few well respected stationary woodworking machines under the Craftsman label. Of course, we ARE talking about Sears:rolleyes:. The Steel City hybrid saws are by most accounts very similar if not identical, both made by Orion whose executives are ex-Delta vets.

HTH

Curt

Tim Thomas
08-18-2008, 1:56 PM
If you would be willing to pay $750 for the saw, call up the Sears and tell them that. Tell them you will plunk down $750 in cash, all taxes included, out the door. If they really are trying to get rid of the saw, I would be very surprised if they didn't take you up on it. There is absolutely no harm in asking.

(I got a killer deal on some discontinued appliances at Best Buy by doing something similar. They were already marked way down, but I showed an interest and said if they took off another $200 I would take them. Bam! Sold. They wanted the floorspace more than they wanted my money.)

Ted Torres
08-18-2008, 2:50 PM
James,

Curt is right, it would be kind of crazy as it is a popular hybrid saw. My local store says NO clearance, just a sale on the 22124 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922124000P?keyword=%22Craftsman+Pr ofessional%22&vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws) for $999, with units in stock and available for order.

May have been a floor model clearance...if in good shape, try and get another 10% off for a really better deal.

BTW, Love Mine!

Ted

John Thompson
08-18-2008, 3:47 PM
Steel City Toolworks owns Orion. Could be a clearance as the newer hybrids by SC all have a riving knife in lieu of a splitter? I don't know for sure but I will check it out tomorrow and try to post what I do find out (if anything) by Wednesday.

Sarge..

John Sanford
08-18-2008, 6:36 PM
My guess is that Sarge's take is probably dead on. There's probably a new "Zipcode saw" on the horizon (perhaps breaking cover at IWF) with a Riving knife. The clearancing of items from national retailers often proceeds in fits and starts from region to region.

John Thompson
08-18-2008, 6:53 PM
My guess is that Sarge's take is probably dead on. There's probably a new "Zipcode saw" on the horizon (perhaps breaking cover at IWF) with a Riving knife. The clearancing of items from national retailers often proceeds in fits and starts from region to region.

I know See.. I No Hear... I No Tell... ! ;)

Sarge..

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-19-2008, 6:14 PM
I look forward to your updated info on Wednesday, Sarge... :D

I checked, these things aren't normally kept in stock, so I'm not sure an offer of $700 to the manager would yield a sale, since it isn't there taking up storage space...unless I wanted to finagle a deal on the floor model. Not sure I want to do that.

scott spencer
08-19-2008, 7:28 PM
Nice hybrid saw, great deal below $750! Never hurts to ask....and it never hurts to ask more than one manager at more than one store...it only takes one to say "yes"!

Mike Heidrick
08-19-2008, 8:27 PM
Not discontinued in IL as of today. Funny though, the one in the store has a couple rust spots. I bet you could get a deal on it. It is used for storage more than display it seems.

John Thompson
08-19-2008, 8:47 PM
James....

I spoke with the SC media and price setter today as we worked together. Scott B. was busy with some WW magazine folks and setting up a new ZCTI insert with Ron from Leecraft. He was not aware of any change Sears was making. There were 3 original versions of the saw and they did drop one. He said they could be dropping the other of two or just clearing stock locally in a store that doesn't turn them as the Box stores do.

So... I will get with Scott Box tomorrow but it looks as though all is well and just a local deal? I have my serious doubt they would drop a machine they have sold many of over-all through-out the country as there is no problems on the Manufacturer's end. How many truck-loads you want?? :)

Regards...

Sarge..

Mike Goetzke
08-19-2008, 9:39 PM
I was just at Sears and the 22124 was $999 but I noticed they had one in the box on the display floor. That's usually a sign it gets a clearance tag next.

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-20-2008, 5:13 PM
Didn't see any boxed units on the floor of the Sears I was in. Wonder if it was ordered, then canceled, or if it really is a sign of an impending clearance. Can't go back and check as that Sears is a 5 hour drive from home. Need to go check my local Sears, see what they're up to.

James