PDA

View Full Version : Live and learn with pattern routing

Jerome Hanby
08-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Thought I'd give carpet tape a try for duplicating a MDF part for my daughters "doll house" bed. Roughed out my blank, added tape, peeled off the top cover of the tape, and carefully stuck on my template. Held it in place with the Workmate's clamping table and proceeded to use my little Colt to trim away the excess. And proceeded to chase the template across the blank with the pattern bit:eek:.

I'm guessing that either all carpet tape is not created equal or I should of wiped down the MDF better before trying the tape. Tonight I'm giving up and bradding the pieces together and doing them on the router table.

It's amazing how much time I can waste trying to save a little time.

Mike Heidrick
08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
The red backed 3M double sided tape is SUPER strong and works well on MDF. Do not use too much of it! One time I used way too much and I had to use fly fishing line to rambo line saw the two pieces apart.

Jerome Hanby
08-18-2008, 11:52 AM
is that tape "flat" or does it have the foam stuff in the middle. I don't recall the brand, but we used to use the foam type to stick test gear in all kinds of odd positions.

The red backed 3M double sided tape is SUPER strong and works well on MDF. Do not use too much of it! One time I used way too much and I had to use fly fishing line to rambo line saw the two pieces apart.

Dewey Torres
08-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Carpet tape is pressure sensitive. The more pressure you apply, the stronger it gets. I did the same thing the first time I tried it with standard carpet tape. Next time try pressing extra hard or even clamping for a few seconds and you will see the holding power increase dramatically.

Jerome Hanby
08-19-2008, 9:28 AM
Used brads to tack my template to the stock and used a pattern bit on the router table and everything worked perfectly.

Thought it would be quick silly method: 0
Actually quick sensible method: 1

Don't think I'm going to stage any rematches any time soon :D

On the plus side, I did generate twice as much "floury" MDF dust.

Dan Gill
08-19-2008, 9:56 AM
I pattern route all the time using an MDF template held on with cheap plastic carpet tape. I use generous strips of the tape and either press the template and blank together in my vice, or whack them several times with a deadblow hammer. I have seldom had them slip, and when I do, it's usually because of dust on one side of the tape.

Wayne Cannon
08-19-2008, 2:49 PM
I use 2"-wide exterior carpet tape. Mine is white with a very thin fabric mesh from the local hardware store. I've heard that interior carpet tape isn't as tenacious.

I use a three-inch piece of tape about every 4 sq ft (never less than two to prevent rotation, though, except for tiny pieces). If I press down thoroughly over the tape, it requires a pry bar to separate the pieces. For pattern-routing and straight-edge ripping, I intentionally don't press very hard over the tape to make it easier to get apart. For turning, I press it down firmly.

The tape is quite sensitive to sawdust, though; so the surface must be brushed pretty clean.

Peter Quinn
08-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I use double stick tape from woodcraft or highland hardware for turners, and man does it stick. i have used it to pass parts through the shaper with a power feed, no problem. You need to clean the dust off the parts and apply good pressure to achieve a good bond, sometimes a clamp and release strategy helps. Sometimes I need a pry bar to separate the template from the work piece!:D

Lee Schierer
08-20-2008, 1:42 PM
I use the double sided carpet tape from Lowes. I find I have to be careful how much I used as it becomes difficult to get the pieces apart if I use too much. The wood has to be clean and free of sawdust. I've stuck, lexan, plywood, cherry, walnut, cocobolo, red oak, maple, poplar, pine, treated lumber to each other with double sided tape with no problems. The problem you are having may be related to MDF as I've never tried sticking anything to mdf. I apply strips of tape at several locations and clamp those spots briefly but firmly with a C-clamp. Also DON'T leave the tape stuck over night as it get an even tighter bond. DAMHIKT!!!