PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2008, 8:19 AM
18 Aug 2008

Good Morning,

I hope each of you are experiencing the cooler temps in what is normally a "fire breathing" month of weather. This has been the "coolest" August that I can ever remember.

No real woodworking this weekend. Worked at the day job, scouted around for some firewood, played bass guitar at church, spent time with the family, and spent considerable time dealing with "teenage" issues with my oldest son.

I got the Shelix cutter head installed in my PM 15S planer and I really love the reduced noise as well as how well it cuts. It's SO much better now that what it was with the original spiral head/cutter knife setup that would dull just from looking at them. Needless to say.....I'm satisfied with my cutter head arrangement now and should have done it a lot sooner.

That's it for me.....so what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
08-18-2008, 8:55 AM
Hah! The 90º and humid mark returns today just as I take a week of vacation to largely do landscaping work outside. LOL

Weekend was somewhat productive relative to said landscaping. Also had a nice barbecue/swim at a friend's house last night. The 'rents headed home after having a week at our house at the tail end of their summer vacation "up north". Alesya turned 9 years old. And we leased a horse (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90255)...

Matt Meiser
08-18-2008, 9:08 AM
Saturday morning I visited the local urgent care--seems I got into something I'm allergic to while pulling weeds around the house late last week, something like poison ivy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that. And since it was getting near dusk when I was doing it and I was hot I wiped sweat off my face and swatted mosquito bites spreading it around. By Saturday my eyes were pretty swollen and my wife insisted we go. So I got a steroid shot, a prescription for more steroids, and instructions to take Claritin to control the itching.

The rest of the weekend was spent prepping and painting our master bedroom which is the only room (besides the laundry room) that hasn't been painted since we moved here. We're ripping out the carpet and putting in hardwood over labor day weekend so we needed to get the painting done. I was pretty surprised when I started looking at how bad the old paint was marked up.

rob mason
08-18-2008, 9:08 AM
I started building my first cross sled for my Delta Contractor's saw. I've been putting if off far too long.

So far, I have cut the panel, 1/2" MDF 29" wide x 24" deep. I fussed with the cherry hardwood runners for quite a while to get the to fit snugly. Last night, I polyurethaned the panel and runners. I plan to build the fence during the week.

I'll try and get photos up soon.

This place is awesome!

Adam Cavaliere
08-18-2008, 9:45 AM
I completed my first "Fine" woodworking project. I have done other woodworking projects, but nothing like this.

I built an end table out of poplar. It called for Cherry, but because I didn't feel fully confident and Cherry is so much more, I didn't want to risk it :)

For the most part I am happy with it, but like all projects, I know where I can improve. I would have to say I have learned to appreciate mortise and tenon joinery much more. It takes a lot of precision work!

I have yet to fully finish sanding and staining. I am thinking of doing a Cherry stain with a water based poly fnish.

Jeff Hallam
08-18-2008, 9:47 AM
I finished building some storage for router bits and accessories that fills some unused space under my JessEm table. Haven't filled it up yet, need to wait for the baby's nap to give me some free time.

glenn bradley
08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Re-did my small lumber rack (it had never been quite level with the world). Cleared a lot of space in it for a lumber run.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94922&d=1219001948

Moved the shorts to these temporary holders:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94923&d=1219001948

The plywood approach has been used many times and they have been up and down as required.

Mike Heidrick
08-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I made a booster seat for my daughter out of some oak pallets and a piece of mahogony that was used in shipping water well pipe. Seat has a piece of oak I salvaged from a dumpster. Wife likes the thought of recycling wood. I tried to keep the look of the spaces used for the pallet fork tines in the booster seat. Used kreg screws and filled the holes with plugs. Finished it with butcher block oil/stain finish. Still need to get a booster seat harness for it.

Also put some BB finish on a small 2-piece wedge drink table for the back of the couch my wife uses. It just slips in between the couch and the wall.

Eric Larsen
08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
I finished my router side table for my PM66. The thing I love bestest about the Bosch 1617 is the RA1165 router table base. The maple for the side table cost more than the router lift. No frills, thats for sure, but it does the job and is rock solid. That's all I really ask in a router table.

Using said saw and router, I milled and finished 60 lf of stair rail cap for the staircase. I'm staining newels and cutting iron ballusters today.

My, woodworking has certainly improved my vocabulary: Newels, Ballusters, dado, chamfer, arthroscopy... :rolleyes:

rob mason
08-18-2008, 1:59 PM
I completed my first "Fine" woodworking project. I have done other woodworking projects, but nothing like this.

I built an end table out of poplar. It called for Cherry, but because I didn't feel fully confident and Cherry is so much more, I didn't want to risk it :)

For the most part I am happy with it, but like all projects, I know where I can improve. I would have to say I have learned to appreciate mortise and tenon joinery much more. It takes a lot of precision work!

I have yet to fully finish sanding and staining. I am thinking of doing a Cherry stain with a water based poly fnish.

Adam
I built some tables very similar to this using Home Depot poplar. Like you, the plans called for Cherry, but I wanted to prototype in poplar. It came out so well, I made a total of 5! I used a Minwax Golden Pecan stain with satin poly.

Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
08-18-2008, 2:20 PM
Saturday, I had a wonderful Creeker visit with Brian and Tamara Brown, and Joel Sauter. We played with the evil skew and tamed it somewhat, made a colabrative FPP pen. The Browns made a collabrative pen. Only tools used.....1 1 5/8" Lacer radius skew and 1 3/4" Robert Larson straight skew. Joel showed us how to apply a CA finish on a pen. Temps got into the 103º F range. Whew.

Sunday it was even hotter. I managed to blow up another expensive pen kit....I gotta work on my technique......and I turned a few bottle stoppers for a church bazaar. Later it was too hot to work in the shop for any lengthy periods.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-18-2008, 4:49 PM
Is tarted out by finishing a fiend's deck Saturday and picking up my pay....a 19,000 mile 454 Chevy motor! Can't wait to tear into that one and get started building it for the little stepside in my avatar.

Sunday I went to the wildlife center and started a racoon pre-release pen and installed the turtle enclosure pickets.

I didn't get much rest but we made some serious headway at the ranch [we're trying to get funded by December]. I made a few signs for the different wildlife enclosures late Saturday night after the deck job.

Last weekend we finished the deer/fawn area and all five fawns are frolicking in it as we speak!

Glenn Clabo
08-18-2008, 5:02 PM
Scuttlebutt has it we had a GREAT tour of Old Ironsides. THANKS Doc!!!

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2008, 5:24 PM

OK....I'm SOoooooo jealous.!!!! I'd LOVE to see/tour Old Ironsides as well as visit with "Doc".

Ed Sallee
08-18-2008, 8:01 PM
A while ago, I posted over in the Turner's Forum, a request. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89975
fellow creeker, Ben Dahl, who lives in nearby Decatur, GA offered his talents and Ben came over on Sunday and picked up the chunk of Macassar Ebony.....
That gave me the perfect excuse to clean up my shop.... which I did on Saturday. After Ben's visit, I took the opportunity to take pics. Why not, my shop was clean and I needed some current pics for my new (other project), website. Forgive the plug... www.waxingmoonwood.com (http://www.waxingmoonwood.com)
I also applied a coat of BLO to the project that's "on the bench"... put on a second coat today....
Anyway, all in all, it was a good weekend in and around the shop!
Here's a picture of Ben taking the Macassar Ebony..... I'm sure in a little while, and then some.... we'll get to see what Ben makes out of all that turnable Macassar Ebony....
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC05924.jpg

Don Abele
08-18-2008, 10:54 PM

It was a pleasure to finally meet you Glenn and show off the ol' girl to you and the misses. Hopefully I'll get a chance to come down for your tour before I ship off here in Octber.

Be well,

Doc

OH...and for you that have no idea what Glenn meant about that...the thing I'm standing next to is a scuttlebutt - a double butted (end caps) barrel that has been scuttled (hole cut in it). It was what drinking water was served from and the only area Sailors could talk around. So it's where you got your daily dose of gossip. So in today's Navy, scuttlebutt means water fountain or gossip.

Eric Larsen
08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
OH...and for you that have no idea what Glenn meant about that...the thing I'm standing next to is a scuttlebutt - a double butted (end caps) barrel that has been scuttled (hole cut in it). It was what drinking water was served from and the only area Sailors could talk around. So it's where you got your daily dose of gossip. So in today's Navy, scuttlebutt means water fountain or gossip.

Thank goodness! When I saw that photo, my first thought was, "Every night except Thursday night. Because Thursday's your turn in the barrel." :D

You can shoot me now if you want, Doc.

-E

Tyler Howell
08-18-2008, 11:59 PM
This is my current Mistress. She's the Hjordis (your-diss) "Norwegian Goddess of War". A spry 38 Y.O. lady built by a Michigan auto worker in his back yard, She is a gaff rigged schooner. He started in 1970 and completed construction in 78 to coincide with his retirement. He and his wife sailed her to the Bahamas' and lived aboard for 12 years. 50 ft LOA. Sleeps 6-8.

I work as a deck hand, work on the ground tackle, electrical, and rigging.
North House is the 4th owner and has been training and giving tours for 11 years.
We gave Moon light tours this weekend. Had a ball. :D:D

Dewey Torres
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
I work as a deck hand, work on the ground tackle, electrical, and rigging.

Dang Tyler... Is there anything you don't do?

Dewey Torres
08-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I am continuing with my dreaded landscape project. Bit by bit!

Tyler Howell
08-19-2008, 4:53 PM
Dang Tyler... Is there anything you don't do?
No WW lately Dewey:o:o, but the shop is getting ready:D:D

Adam Cavaliere
08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Adam
I built some tables very similar to this using Home Depot poplar. Like you, the plans called for Cherry, but I wanted to prototype in poplar. It came out so well, I made a total of 5! I used a Minwax Golden Pecan stain with satin poly.

Thanks

Very nice looking table! I like the part underneath too. I think in the future I may consider making something like that as part of another end table.

Jim C Bradley
08-20-2008, 1:57 AM
Hi,

That's neat! It would go great under my Rockler router table.

Enjoy,

Jim

rob mason
08-20-2008, 9:14 AM
Very nice looking table! I like the part underneath too. I think in the future I may consider making something like that as part of another end table.

thanks!

If anyone wants measurements of my tables or anything, please let me know - I'd be glad to measure them up.

Some of my woodworking projects can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robmason/sets/72157603978573604/