PDA

View Full Version : Floating Apple hollow form.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-18-2008, 1:07 AM
I made this Apple hollow form from some Sweet Cherry wood that came from my DIL's tree at her parents home, the tree was dying and got taken down.
So while I was at my son & DIL's place I turned this HF on my little Delta Midi that I take along, the wood was getting almost too soft at places to keep it from falling apart, had to add some woodcrumbles at one spot.
And my pictures taken over there don't quite make the grade, sorry for that, it's the best I've got, I just thought it might be an interesting turning to show, it is supposed to be an apple floating on the water waves :)

Any/all comments appreciated, thanks for looking.

Gary Max
08-18-2008, 6:28 AM
That would be so much fun to take to a show--------gee How did you get the apple to do that??????
Yup I can hear them now.
Nice job

Bob Hallowell
08-18-2008, 7:59 AM
Leo,
while not my most favorite peice to look at the skill is high once again. I think you have more skill in your little pinkie than I do in my whole body.

Bob

Matt Hutchinson
08-18-2008, 9:27 AM
That's a fun idea! I like it. I have only barely touched the surface of similar designs, and I think it's a fun approach to explore. Have you done this winged style very often? Can't wait to see more! :)

Hutch

Jason Whelehon
08-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I turned this HF on my little Delta Midi that I take alongI love how true masters downplay their skills...

"Yea, I just toss this in the air and swing a hammer at it and it lands as a 3' deep hollow vase"

True props!

I hope I can come visit someday and learn more than I could figure out on my own in 100 years!

Mike Vickery
08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Vewry nice p[iece Leo, I like it quite a bit.

Mike Golka
08-18-2008, 1:16 PM
Great looking peice, I did some crabapple a while back and had the same problems, you got through them a lot better than I did.

Jim Becker
08-18-2008, 1:30 PM
That is incredibly clever!! Nice work!

Hilel Salomon
08-18-2008, 1:31 PM
Leo,

Again you add humor and imagination to artistry!!!!! Being incredibly lucky, I can't bring myself to envy anyone, but I sure wish I had your talent.
Regards, Hilel.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2008, 1:56 PM
Love the imagination Leo! Also appreciate the way you consistantly get people to think outside the box when it comes to turning! Looking forward to being surprised (again) with your next post!

Cody Colston
08-18-2008, 8:36 PM
You know, just about every old fart that buys a lathe and turns something nice fancies himself an artist...even if most of us would never dare admit it out loud.

Then, along comes someone like Leo who IS an artist and we get our bubble busted pretty dang quick.

That floating apple is skillfully done, whimsical and very artistic. You sir, are an inspiration to us wannabes. ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
08-19-2008, 2:36 AM
Thank you all for the flattering comments :o, but I just turn for the love of it.
Also I didn't make myself, I just work with what I was given along, I guess we all do.

Matt thanks, I'm not much for doing the same thing twice, if I could, but yes I've done winged pieces, like bowls in a plank as I call them, with and without bark on them, or angle wings and things like that, whatever form you think off just DO it, and keep it fun what you do, it will show in your pieces, what else can one ask for, than to do what we like doing :).

Thanks Cody, but I don't consider myself a artist, I just turn wood my own way, never been told I couldn't, (probably wouldn't listen anyway, you know the Dutch way :D), it's something I have loved doing for a very long time, and hope will be able for some time to come .

Not enough hours in a day or days in a week or weeks in a year or years in a lifetime, it's especially that last part I don't like much, so we'll have to make them count :rolleyes: :D

curtis rosche
08-24-2008, 1:47 PM
nice peice again, where do you come up with this stuff?

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2008, 5:04 PM
Leo that is different but very pleasing to the eye. I like it.

robert hainstock
08-24-2008, 5:07 PM
We who cannot recognize those who can sometimes, and you definatly can. Beautiful art Leo, and that's from a whole bunch of us. :D:D:D
Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the reply Curtis :D

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the comment Bernie I do appreciate it :D

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Thank you Bob, you are to kind, though I am glad you do like it :D