PDA

View Full Version : Hook angles for card scrapers

Kevin Blunt
08-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Hello,
I currently own the Veritas scraper set with about five different thicknesses of card scrapers. Although I have used very successfully, I got to wondering tonight if there was a general recommendation about what hook angle a card scraper should be at relative to it's thickness. ight now I use the thinnest scrapers with approx 5 degree for fine removal and th ehook angles go up from there with the medium thickness scrapers around 8-10 dgrees and th ethickest up around 12-15 dgrees although I have never actually used the thickest card scrapers.
I came up with these numbers entirely on my own and wonder if they are far off from anyone elses. Maybe I should be doing things a little different to improve results. Sorry for all the questions lately but I am just learning as I go.
Appreciating all your help.
Kevin

Eddie Darby
08-18-2008, 8:25 PM
I like your angles.

The thinner the steel, the more flexible it is, so one can bend it more to fit curved surfaces, and so a small bite is used.

For heavy duty removal over bigger surfaces, and more aggressive, thicker scraper is used, and so the more aggresive angle.

You can also use a less agressive hook angle on a big scrape if you want to refine the quality of the finish on the wood.

glenn bradley
08-18-2008, 8:33 PM
I have the same burnisher. I use 10 or less for most stuff, 15 for aggressive removal and 5 for fine work. That doesn't make it right but its been working for me. 10* seems to be about what I get when I do it by hand.