PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Cordless Drills

todd johnson
08-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I've been using the same corded drill for about 15 years now and FINALLY decided to take the plunge into the cordless world (again after a failing with a Firestorm set). I've been looking at the Ridgid cordless drill, 18V LI, and have read good things about it. It hasn't scored at the top of every list but it hasn't been at the bottom either. From what I've heard and read (and had experience with - Firestorm), the batteries of cordless drills are the Achilles heal. Ridgid's lifetime warranty over the tool AND the batteries are what have me hooked. Has anyone here had any bad experience with that tool? Since offering a life time warranty is only half of the deal and honoring it the other half, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the Ridgid lifetime warranty policy on any tools?

Larry LaRoque
08-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I bought the Rigid 18v L-Ion about 4 months ago to replace a Dewalt 18v and Ryobi 18v that were lost in a shop fire. It was the lifetime warranty on the drill and batteries that finally made my decision also. I must say that I am very impressed with the drill and the charge life of the batteries. I am just a weekend warrior but it seems like a charge last forever. Very pleased with the ergonomics of the drill and the sensitivity of the trigger, I would recommend it.:D

Joe Von Kaenel
08-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Todd,

I have a Ridgid cordless 18 Volt hammer drill that is awesome. I also have a 14.4 Volt Ridgid Impact driver I use all the time. They are well made cordless tools. The batteries last a long time and charge fast.

Joe

Prashun Patel
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I was tempted by the Rigid too. I'm not sure the batteries are lifetime warranteed, though. Just double check - The phone num's on their website. I also found the Rigid tool body to be abnormally heavy. Pick up the Makita compact's body (without tool) and you'll see what I mean.

IMHO, an 18v LiIon should feel like a 12v NiCad or NiMH drill.

When yr at the BORG, i suggest you consider the Makita compact Drill/Impact driver combo. Having one tool for drilling and one for driving is Heaven.

Scott Kuykendall
08-18-2008, 1:29 PM
I have had the Ridge Combo set for about 4 years and love it. Have not had any problems. I also bought a 14 volt drill to go with the 14 V impact driver and double checked with them and they will replace the batteries for life. There tools are a little on the heavy side but since I am not carrying it all day that doesn't matter to me.
Scott

skip coyne
08-18-2008, 1:41 PM
Ive read complaints elsewhere that they make you send the tool , charger and battery in when its time for a replacement
It not a over the counter at the borg thing

something to consider if you need your tools on a regular basis