PDA

View Full Version : Newest cherry bowl - comments welcome.

Mike Minto
08-17-2008, 6:09 PM
Here's a bowl I started and finished in 2 days, from a pretty dry piece of cherry from Gloucester, VA, given to my by a friend. For the first time, I used my cole jaws and made quite a nice footless bottom - it started out with a small foot of a single bead, but, being me, I had to deal with 2 screw holes that went deeper than I knew, and I'm afraid if I turn them out I'll destroy the form - so, I guess I'll just have to live with it. 1 coat of teak oil now, with more to follow. Comments / criticism welcome. Mike

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2008, 6:15 PM
Really nice looking wood Mike! To bad about the screw holes -maybe you can fill them with something. Nice form and I really like the grain on this piece! So, how do you like form with the foot removed?

Gary Herrmann
08-17-2008, 6:21 PM
So it's about 6" in diameter? Very nice grain in that bowl. I like the foot, or lack thereof. Try dying the filler so it will be less noticeable. You can also try Minwax cherry wood filler.

Mark Hix
08-17-2008, 6:25 PM
Beautiful grain and I like the form. Maybe fill the holes w/ some cherry sanding dust and CA? or just leave them.

Matt Hutchinson
08-17-2008, 6:31 PM
Hey, great looking bowl!

As for the holes, you could remount it and turn a shallow groove that will hit both the holes. Then fill it with epoxy, or grounds, or whatever. Then the foot will have a nice decorative ring on it. :)

Hutch

Mike Minto
08-17-2008, 6:53 PM
You talked me into it - didn't take much, haha. I'll try and fill the holes, and if that doesn't work, may try cutting that shallow groove. Steve, I do like it with no foot, but was disappointed I had to do away with it to try and turn out the screw holes - I'm still surprised that they were there - it's almost as if I only found them as I turned deeper into the wood, I don't remember seeing them at first. Wierd. I'll post a pic of what I wind up with! BTW, when you guys use coffee grounds to mask mistakes or for decoration, are these unused, used or wetted with something? Mike

Doug Miller
08-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Coffee grounds DRY. Used or unused is up to you, but they must be dry to begin with.

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Mike great looking bowl out of some nice wood. Well done.

John Shuk
08-18-2008, 6:24 PM
That is a very nice bowl. The grain, form, and color really compliment each other nicely.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-19-2008, 1:42 AM
Hi Mike
Good looking bowl Mike, and the screw holes could probably be turned out, if I look at your continues curve on the inside and the shape on the outside, there seems to be enough wood there, but you should measure just to make sure, both the depth of the screw hole and the thickness of the wood at the hole location.
It is a good idea to have some measuring device so you can do this when turning bowls or other forms.
I got a pic here from someone's homemade woodturning calipers, (forget where I got it or who made it) but it is serviceable.
It's made from coat-hanger wire and those wash-line crimp-on dohickies, simple enough to make.