PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Hollow Vessel

Jim Becker
05-02-2004, 7:33 PM
This is a maple burl hollow vessel I recently turned. It follows the southwestern style that I enjoy so much. The wood came from somewhere near Des Moines, IA last year when I had a visit from a friend, Allen Darrow.

Dimensions are approximately 8" diameter by 3" high. The finish is BLO which still needs to be buffed out.

Anthony Yakonick
05-02-2004, 8:33 PM
Nice work!

John Miliunas
05-02-2004, 9:24 PM
Your enjoyment of that style truly shows, Jim! :D Beautiful. So, just BLO and then you buff it out? Never tried that before. :cool:

Glenn Hodges
05-03-2004, 7:04 AM
Nice work Jim, SW Indian pottery style is one of my favorites. The wood chosen for this was so appropriate.

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 8:25 AM
The wood chosen for this was so appropriate.
Ah, but the wood chooses the form, especially when working with materials like burls and other highly "variable" stuff. Many times the shape of a turning is not determined untiil you cut into it. That's why it's common to put a hunk of wood between centers and play with it a little, rather than using a faceplate or other "fixed" mounting system up front. Sometimes just rotating the axis slightly can make all the difference in the world in the final product. As you reveal a little of the wood you can step back and ponder what it's telling you and make changes accordingly.

Glenn Hodges
05-03-2004, 9:18 AM
Jim, believe me when I say I know what you mean. I have these ideas about a design I want on a bowl, but the wood or something else often dictates the results. The other day a big piece of black walnut had my head spinning with a paticular plan for a bowl, but when I got into it....click, click, click, a 20 penny nail, and a big gap in my gouge. I found 6 of these things in this big chunk of walnut, well there went my design, but that is all in it. I have found chains, bullets, nails, wire, etc. Anyway, I sure like the SW hollowform you did.

Wolf Kiessling
05-03-2004, 9:30 AM
One of my very favorite shapes. Fabulous (shape and figure) Many people don't realize just how often the wood itself dictates a certain form that may be entirely different than what they envision when they start.

Bill Grumbine
05-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Very nice Jim! I too like the southwest shapes, but I have trouble blowing them out from time to time! :D SWMBO tells me I should have someone watch me when I turn hollow forms, because then they always come out. If I am alone, I get impatient, and you know where that leads.

Bill

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 1:02 PM
I too like the southwest shapes, but I have trouble blowing them out from time to time! SWMBO tells me I should have someone watch me when I turn hollow forms, because then they always come out. If I am alone, I get impatient, and you know where that leads.
I had that problem more when I was hollowing by hand. Since moving to the captive system, I've only blown out one. It's incredibly easy to take a very light cut on the interior with the captive system (Jamison in my case) and you can really focus easier when you don't have to support the tool yourself.

Tom Sweeney
05-03-2004, 4:10 PM
& as usual a very nice finished piece - love the form & the varying patterns on the wood.