PDA

View Full Version : Rub N Buff on Name badges

bill harmon
08-17-2008, 3:43 PM
Has anyone here had success using Rub N Buff to color the engraved areas of Rowmark name badges? My customer wants gold letters in part of the badge. Thanks for any help.

Bill

Bill Cunningham
08-17-2008, 9:43 PM
When I have a job that needs colour in the badges, I use rev. engraved rowmark, and laser the filled area first, colour fill it gold or what ever, then laser and fill each colour the same way, one colour at a time (all badges in a sheet) once everything is engraved and colour filled, I just use the laser to score the plastic (about 3/4 through) then snap them apart and stick on the pins magnets etc.. Working from the back is a lot less fiddly, cleanup is easier, and the colours look pretty sharp! I used to hot stamp them, but not anymore!

Frank Corker
08-18-2008, 6:32 AM
Bill - rub'n'buff (and I might be wrong here - search on my history I've been wrong before) is wax based. It will hold for a short time, but will wear off relatively quickly on something being handled all of the time. I would suggest you go to your local art shop and buy a tube of gold acrylic paint. It dries in minutes but is really very durable and will have a similar appearance, quite reflective.

Mike Null
08-18-2008, 7:04 AM
There are also some IPI plastics that engrave to gold. Like Bill, I prefer color filling name tags from the back in a reverse engraving process.

Pete Simmons
08-18-2008, 8:31 AM
Bill / Mike :

Please explain the method again. I must be missing something cause I do not understand.

Say I want white letters on black LaserMax, with a little blue color fill.

How would I do that?

bill harmon
08-18-2008, 4:25 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. You've given me lots of food for thoughts. With success here, I'll post the results.

Bill

Pete Simmons
08-18-2008, 4:44 PM
It is the part about engrave from the back I do not understand.

Do you burn all the way to the front surface??

Mike Null
08-18-2008, 9:27 PM
It's clear plastic that has been painted onthe back. You engrave through the paint then color fill the engraved portion with whatever color you want.

Pete Simmons
08-18-2008, 9:45 PM
Thanks - I understand now.

Clear was the key I was missing.