PDA

View Full Version : Any Nova lathe owners?

Phillip Bogle
08-17-2008, 3:39 PM
I am in the market for a new lathe. I am looking at the Teknatool Nova 1624-44. Does anyone have one of the Nova lathes and how do you like them? Any concerns?

Any input is appreciated.

Marc Martindale
08-17-2008, 4:15 PM
I have it and love it. In it's price range I don't think there is anything better. I have a friend who has a Jet 1642 and he stopped by and turned on my lathe and was quite impressed with it. To me, the next lathe to consider is the Jet 1642 and the advantages it has (variable speed, length and weight). You have to consider what those advantages are worth, and of course your budget.

Mike Minto
08-17-2008, 5:53 PM
Phillip, I have had one since Nov of '07. It is my first lathe, and with my limited experience with it (along with 2 turning classes at WoodCraft) I have to say it is well worth the money. Turning has taken over all my free time. Lots of power, the rotating head, 110/115, and compact size - expandable, if desired - make it a great value for the money. A lot will depend on where you are going to use it, I believe - as in my case, in a small (!) shop with a wood floor, the cast iron legs and perhaps some reinforcement in the floor would be a good idea - helped me immeasureably. But if you are going to use it on concrete, you might not need all that. Let us know what you do! Mike

Jerry Gerard
08-17-2008, 7:35 PM
I am in the market for a new lathe. I am looking at the Teknatool Nova 1624-44. Does anyone have one of the Nova lathes and how do you like them? Any concerns?

Any input is appreciated.

Check out the Nova message board over on MSN .

(http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/messages.msnw)

Eugene Malone
08-17-2008, 7:42 PM
Hiya Phillip, I cant give you any Info. as yet as I've just ordered one myself. I live in Ireland and have to order from UK and the deal I got includes an outrigger +Supernova 2 chuck and delivery to Ireland for a total cost of £1074.00 which is about $800.00.
It is 1.1/2 hp and has a 5 yrs. guarentee. So hopefully it works out well for me . I cant advise you to buy one but I've had great reports about it . Whatever you do I hope you enjoy many years with your new lathe REgards Eugene Malone.

Doug Miller
08-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Love mine. I've raised mine up 3.5" because I mostly turn bowls and hollow forms. Get it home and play with it a week or two. Experiment with raising it up for a bit. Just see what you like as far as height. As for the lathe itself, I think you'll love it. I have no complaints at all. motor is strong and true. Speeds are quick and easy to change. Angle design on the legs make it strong and stable. If you have the extra dollars, the cast legs would be a nice addition, but not a necessary expence. In the price range I know know how you could possibly get as much lathe without getting used equipment. Let us know what you finally do and remember to post some pics.

Paul Douglass
08-18-2008, 12:20 AM
I've had mine for about three month. I have not really used it's full potential because I mostly turn pens and small stuff. I love the lathe have absolutely no regrets for buying it. There is only one little thing that annoys me and that is the door to get to the belt, opens up and hits the lever that you lift to loosen the belt so you can change speeds. When it hits that lever it, of coarse, wants to close. I think they could have thought that out a little better. It is a small annoyance though.\

I will say if I was using the lathe to make income or if I was marketing what I make, I would spend more and get a varible speed. Changing the belt does slow things down a little. Slowing thing down is good for me. Make me take more time to enjoy what I am doing.

Daniel Heine
08-18-2008, 9:53 AM
I bought mine in June of this year, and I love it. I eated for a long time between the 1624 and the Jet 1642. Two factors played into my decision: Proce, anmd space constraints. I do not regret my decision at all. It is a fantastic lathe, and I love it. I plan to upgrade to ther outboard turning attachment at some point, but for now, it is just fine. You will not be sorry with this lathe!!!!

Good Luck,
Dan

Maria Alvarado
08-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I have had mine about as long as Mike. I had the same 1624/1642 debate and decided on the Nova because it still has a pretty low speed for a non-VS lathe that I knew I would use as I mostly start out with out of balance blanks. If you think you will want to turn longer spindles, you will want the bed extension. For pens, bowls and such, it is just fine and doesn't take much space. Belt changing is a non-issue for me, since I need to stop and look at what I'm doing now and again :rolleyes:. Woodcraft has it on sale a few times a year, you can generally save 100 bucks (but you know you'll find something to spend it on).

John Gornall
08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
The door to the belts fell off when the spot welds let go the other day. I'm glad, now I have to make a better door. I've had a lot of fun with this lathe. It's got a lot of versitility with the swinging head. I have a bed extension which I sometimes bolt to the main bed but other times I put this bed extension on another bench to turn long stuff or a low bench outboard to turn big stuff. It's kind of a mini Stubby the way you can configure the bed and extension to suit your needs. I'm planning a 36" diameter wall plaque similar to one on David Marks site - I'll turn it outboard with the bed extension and banjo on a stand with sand in it - again got the idea from David Marks site where he uses a homemade stand outboard with his big Oneway.

I dumped the Nova legs and built a bench which has tool storage and vacuum pump in it - fits my shop better. Flip out caster boards let me move it around - I like turning outside on a sunny day.

Paul Douglass
08-18-2008, 5:34 PM
HA! just thought of one other negative I have with the lathe. I used the legs that came with it and they are fine for my use. Others find they need heavier. Anyway the legs are hollow and there is no cover at the top of them. After I dropped one bolt and a finial for a pen I was turning and they ended up going down inside the leg I got smart. I covered the top of the legs with duct tape. The only way I could get the items out was to unbolt the leg and turn it upside down. PITA!

Doug Reesor
08-18-2008, 5:35 PM
My Dad left behind his Nova TL1500 and I have no idea how old it is or how many hours he used it, but it is still going strong for me! If their new lathes are anything like their old ones, you'll do OK!!

Doug