PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cast acrylic hearts

mike klein
08-17-2008, 2:52 PM
Anyone know where you can get blank 4"x4" (approx.) x1/2" or 3/4" thick acrylic hearts similar to as shown.

Thanks
Mike

Anthony Welch
08-17-2008, 6:24 PM
Mike,

I cut and engrave practically that same one in your picture out of 3/8" acrylic from Delvies. No need to buy the blank. Now i have some 3/4" acrylic, but haven't found a "round TUIT".

But if 1/4" or 3/8" blanks are what you want, I'll cut all you need. :D

Now whether what Delvies sells is cast or extruded, I don't know. But it'll fit your need, if your laser wattage is there. You don't show what machine and such in your profile. So it's just a guess that is the reason your not cutting them yourself.

Anthony

mike klein
08-17-2008, 6:40 PM
Anthony,

I cut 1/4" to 3/8" with no problem. I have some 1/2" here which I can cut but it's putting my machine to the limit and I'm not at all satisfied with how it cuts. All around the edge it has a melted look to it, I assume from having to set the speed so slow to cut thru the 1/2", I don't know, but anyway it don't look good to me. Thats why I was wondering if there was someplace out there to buy the pre-cut 1/2" or 3/4" blanks.

On your 3/8" hearts, are you putting some sort of mount on the bottom or do they stand on there own ok. I figured the thicker material would sit better, say on a table or something.

Thanks
Mike

Lee DeRaud
08-17-2008, 6:42 PM
Not quite what you're looking for, but I've seen similar ones sold as picture frames at Michaels: two layers of 3/8" held together with a couple of tiny rare-earth magnets so you can put pictures inside.

GF thinks they came from IKEA.

Stephen Beckham
08-17-2008, 8:51 PM
Mike,

Plexi-fab out of California carries those. http://www.plexifab.com/

Not sure if they have the thickness you want...

mike klein
08-17-2008, 9:01 PM
Thanks Steve,

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see.

Mike

Joe Hayes
08-17-2008, 9:18 PM
Mike - check with Laser bits. www.laserbits.com or with jbobs.com. I think I purchased some from one of them a few years ago as a stock item.
I know that J Bobs will make them for you in whatever size and number you want.

mike klein
08-17-2008, 9:27 PM
Joe,

Laserbits does carry an acrylic heart, only one that I know of. but from the looks of the picture of it on their site it has beveled edges, which is nice, but I believe it takes away a lot of surface area if you want to have it sit free standing on a table. I'd have to call them to verify that though.

Mike

Steve knight
08-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I can cut them on my cnc router if you need them I have some high quality cast in 3/4" on hand. the edges won't be as clean as with a laster but I can make them any size you want.

mike klein
08-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I can cut them on my cnc router if you need them I have some high quality cast in 3/4" on hand. the edges won't be as clean as with a laster but I can make them any size you want.

I might take you up on that Steve if I can't locate them anyplace.

Mike

David Takes
08-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Mike,

You should be able to get those from Huang Acrylic in Texas. See more info on bottom left of page 47 of their catalog. http://www.huangacrylic.com/catalog/pages/g47.jpg