PDA

View Full Version : Pull out shelves/drawers for a cabinet

Rob Blaustein
08-17-2008, 2:32 PM
I'm building some storage cabinets--Euro-style, frameless--and would like to have pull-out shelves/drawers in one or two of them. But I'm stuck on something--choice of concealed hinges and how to install the slides. It seems like there are two options:

1. Use a zero-protrusion hinge that allows the door to open without getting in the way of pull-out shelves. I could mount the slides directly to the inside of the cabinet, but I would need to place the hinges where they wouldn't interfere with a drawer. If I placed a hinge close to the bottom, it seems like I lose space--the bottom of the lowest shelf/drawer would need to be about 5 inches higher than the bottom of the cabinet. Or I could have a drawer on the bottom but place the lowest hinge 5-6 inches from the bottom. Or I could not worry about the placement of the hinges/drawers and mount the slides on spacers/cleats. But if I'm going to the trouble of doing that I think it makes more sense to use:

2. 'Standard' concealed hinges like Blum 120 degree for frameless. For near full overlay, these will allow the door to open leaving a protrusion of 11.5 mm, with the hinge protruding from the side 20.5 mm (I looked this up on the Blum site). So if I didn't want to worry about placement of hinges and drawers, I would mount on spacers that are thicker than 20.5 mm.

Those of you who've made cabinets and pantries with sliding shelves/drawers--have you wrestled with this issue, and what did you end up doing (and why)?

--Rob

Dick Bringhurst
08-17-2008, 2:52 PM
I used the spacers and coordinated it with the hinge location and the placement of the drawer slide side rail to get to the placement necessary. Why? Ask the boss she'll let you know all about it. Dick B.

glenn bradley
08-17-2008, 3:32 PM
I use spacers and these (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FSC-2501/Drawer-Bumper-10-pack) with 3/4 and full extension glides.

Dick Bringhurst
08-17-2008, 4:42 PM
Wow Glenn. I wasn't aware of those or I'd have used them. Thanks for the info. Dick B.

Rob Blaustein
08-17-2008, 8:14 PM
If I placed a hinge close to the bottom, it seems like I lose space--the bottom of the lowest shelf/drawer would need to be about 5 inches higher than the bottom of the cabinet. Or I could have a drawer on the bottom but place the lowest hinge 5-6 inches from the bottom.

Looks like I was a bit off math-wise. I just took an actual hinge and slide and played around with placement on a mock-up assuming 32 mm hole spacing, and the shelf would be a little over 2.5 inches from the bottom. Not too bad. Makes me think I could get away with no spacers with zero protrusion hinges which would be less work.