PDA

View Full Version : Replascing Garage door moulding

Brian Brown
08-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I have to replace the moulding around my garage/shop door. It is on the southern facing side of the house, and it is a dark brown color, so it is really aabuse by the weather. Extreme heat in summer, and cold and wet in the winter. It is always expanding and contracting. This causes the weather stripping to break, and the wind blows right through the door. This means cold in the winter, and lots of dust in the summer. The worst problem is that the wood casement will not hold paint. No amount of priming or prep work helps. The house is steel sided, but the trim is painted wood. Do any of you know of good non wood materials to re-do the moulding, that will hold paint in extreme weather conditions?

Matt Meiser
08-17-2008, 12:59 PM
For brickmold moldings on our doors, I've been using the PVC-based trim and am really happy with it. It seems to hold paint very well too. Some of the oldest I installed 3 years ago now and it still has the original paint with no signs of deterioration. I believe Home Depot and Lowes both sell it. I think I've even seen the garage door trim with a weatherstrip.

terry richards
08-17-2008, 3:15 PM
I agree on the PVC brick mouldings for garage doors. I have switched entirely to this over wood. I don't splice - I generally replace the entire vertical piece. An 8 foot piece runs around $9 retail around here, so it's just a little bit more costly than wood, but well worth the difference.

It doesn't rot; it doesn't move; it splits less frequently when nailed, and caulks like a dream. Further, there is no need to seal the backside or the end grain as is necessary to do a good job with wood.

I would add to the previous reply that it is probably a good idea to hit the flat surfaces of the PVC with some 100 or 120 sandpaper before painting - not much - just enough to break the glaze. The PVC is extremely smooth, & a little 'tooth' on the surfaces will improve paint holding.

Michael Donahue
08-17-2008, 6:42 PM
PVC/vinyl all the way my friend.

I was also able to get vinyl brickmould with an integral J-channel for my front and side doors. It'll look great once I get some time off to finish siding the house! :rolleyes:

Roger Lance
08-17-2008, 7:17 PM
I just replaced some rotten brick mold with the PVC stuff from Menards...have not painted it yet, so can't comment about that aspect...price was a little over $1 more per 8 foot length...machines with standard ww blades on miterbox...nails up nice...no installation problems...looks good...etc etc...recommend the product.

Jay Yoder
08-17-2008, 9:48 PM
I just replaced my existing brick molding around one of my doors, i was going to use PVC like most of the others that i have done, but i had to rip it down to fit with minimal mod's to siding. The other projects i did with the PVC, i absolutely loved! The sad thing is, in our area, the PVC is actually cheaper than the wood!! No reservations, I think it may need more nails b/c it sags a bit more, but other than that, It is great and no need to worry about rot!! Go for it!!

Matt Meiser
08-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Just thought of something--if you do use the PVC, it will probably leave white gunk on your blades. The Boeshield Bit and Blade cleaner takes it right off.