PDA

View Full Version : African Mahogany Nesting Tables Finished!

brett gallmeyer
08-17-2008, 2:41 AM
Here are some nesting table I built out of african mahogany. They are finished with witches brew and a coat of wax. What do you think? I have alot of prodjects displayed at a local consignment shop. they were thinking of listing these at $265 ??? what do you think?

Brett G.

Jim Becker
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Those really have a wonderful color and attractive design, Brett. Nice work.

Barry Bruner
08-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Great job, they are going to look out of place in a consignment shop and they sure will not last long at that price. We might need to find out where you have been buying your wood. Barry Bruner

gary Zimmel
08-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Great job on the nesting tables Brett.

At $265.00 I think someone is going to get a deal....

Jesse Cloud
08-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Beautiful tables!

What's 'witches brew?

John Thompson
08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Exellent... I think $265 would be giving them away.. but you have to stay in line with the local market I realize as the reality.

Sarge..

C Scott McDonald
08-17-2008, 12:19 PM
They look really nice. Does your consignment shop get many people from Vail or Beaver Creek? If it does $265 seems really light. But as stated you have be in tune to your local market.

brett gallmeyer
08-18-2008, 1:36 AM
Lol!
Here I was thinking "Wow $265 seems like a lot to ask..." I get my mahogany from the only local supplier within 4 hours of here... needless to say its not cheap. I also got a lot of free wood from a wonderfull guy that was moving out of state. check out the thread below
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88204

The consignment shop is pretty new and most of the stuff they have in there is better looking furniture. The only sell furniture. I don't know if they get clients from out of town but the owners just asked me about commisioning a piece for there home after seeing these tables. Yeah!

As for Witches Brew.... I spent alot of time trying to figure out how to finish these tables. I found alot of info on this site about mixing your own finish. I ended up doing a three part mixture of BLO, Mineral Spirits, and Semi-Gloss Poly.
4oz. BLO
4oz. Mineral Spirits
2-3oz. Poly.
It worked out pretty good, however it dried really slow. even after 24hrs it was still a bit sticky.. any ideas?

Well my next piece will be a walnut and maple nightstand/side table. don't worry i'll post pictures soon.

Thanks for all the great comments!

Brett G.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-21-2008, 2:16 PM
Your price of $265 is very, very modest. The tables look wonderful.
-Jeff :)

Michael Pauly
08-21-2008, 3:42 PM
Those are really nice. For the top, is that veneered mahogany on a ply substrate or solid wood? If the latter, how did you accommodate for movement with the frame?

Michael

Dave Tinley
08-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Brett-
The tables look very nice, the design and execution was spot on.
As for the price, it would depend on your area, down here that would be a fair price. What percentage are you on with your consignment shop??
We have a very large one here that is furniture only, and really no junkie stuff. The seller sets a asking price, then a bottom price so when the customer haggles they dont have to call the seller to see if they will accept the lower price.

In regards to your WB- I had the same problem when using blo, even tried cutting back 25 percent on the blo. About three months ago I switched to pure tung oil and get much better results, and it dries in less the 24 hours.
Of course since I switched I dont call it witches brew, its now.........
Texas Tea :D:D;)

brett gallmeyer
08-22-2008, 12:32 AM
the center of the tops is a veeneer over mdf. so didn't need to acomidate for wood movement. i will snap a picture of the underside of the tables and post it tommorow.

Leo Zick
08-22-2008, 9:39 PM
ahh, witches brew must do wonders to keep em sealed :p

http://www.britta.com/HW/recipes/brew05.jpg