PDA

View Full Version : Applying metalgraph to wood

Mike Lush
08-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi all,

Any thoughts of the best way to get rowmark metalgraph onto a piece of wood? I was going to epoxy it, but I thought I would see if anyone else has had some success with this or another method.

Thanks,
Mike

Joe Pelonio
08-17-2008, 12:01 AM
If the wood is finished I just use double sided tape (3m Laminating Film). If not, contact cement.

John Noell
08-17-2008, 12:43 AM
How do you handle very small pieces? Do you apply the tape the the back before lasering?

James Stokes
08-17-2008, 3:11 AM
If I am doing any thing small or very intricut I put the tape on first.

Richard Rumancik
08-17-2008, 9:49 AM
You could consider Loctite Power Grab. It is a white construction adhesive. Keith mentioned it in a thread a while back for bonding acrylic letters to wood. (Search Power Grab) I have a tube here to try but haven't tested it yet. It does not specify use for plastics on the tube but may work for your application. You can get it at most home centers in a small tube for less than five dollars.

Scott Shepherd
08-17-2008, 9:57 AM
WeldBond. For small stuff, I agree with Joe, double sided tape. If it's a larger area and it needs to be there forever, then weldbond glue is outstanding.

I glued a piece of Rowmark to a piece of MDF last year and once it dried, I couldn't pry it off with a screwdriver. I couldn't even lift an edge. It actually started destroying the plastic. Super, super glue for that application (not superglue, but a super glue).

It's white, dries clear, and looks like good old Elmer's.

Used to be available at all Ace Hardware stores. I've seen it in some craft stores as well in small bottles. Also, I know Ed Lang bought a batch of it recently and would probably be more than happy to sell tubes of it, since he had to buy much more than he needed.

Bill Cunningham
08-17-2008, 9:18 PM
Clear GE Silicone adhesive. sticks to just about anything, weather proof, water proof and lasts forever.. A lot of times, I will laser a recess for the metal plate so it sits flush with the surface even with a thin smear of silicone on the back.. The lasered wood also gives the silicone something to grip!

Mike Lush
08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the great answers.

Richard Rumancik
08-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Scott, I think Weldbond is a decent adhesive but in my experience it is more of a woodworking adhesive. It looks like Elmers because it is really a PVA adhesive and although it may be better than some of the competition it is still PVA white glue. I have not had as good of success as you with bonding plastic to wood with Weldbond. Perhaps if the plastic is sanded it would work better. When you read the ad copy for Weldbond you would think it was a revolutionary adhesive ("Space-Age") but PVA adhesives aren't anything new. I do use it, and it is a good product for woodworking, but it would probably not be my first choice for bonding plastics or metals to wood.