PDA

View Full Version : Roller featherboard for resawing

Adam Reetz
08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I just bought a bandsaw off of craigslist in the hopes of resawing some lumber to make laminated curves. I wanted a featherboard that could hold both the top and bottom of the board against the resaw fence and not need adjustment for each cut. Here's what I came up with.

It's not especially pretty, as I used whatever I had around the house. The featherboard provides only slightly more pressure if the board being resawn is wide rather than narrow. This should mean that you can run the board through several times without adjusting the featherboard.

Bruce Page
08-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Clever idea Adam.

glenn bradley
08-17-2008, 2:23 AM
That oughta do it. Nice job.

Chris Parks
08-17-2008, 7:35 AM
Have a look at the frontline engineering jig. Just cut curves out of the solid...
http://www.frontlineengineering.com.au/

Jim Becker
08-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Nice one, Adam! I'm thinking that I may want to create something like this for my resawing activities.

steve reeves
08-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Have a look at the frontline engineering jig. Just cut curves out of the solid...
http://www.frontlineengineering.com.au/

Thanks for that link Chris but they show scant information about the thing, no technical information at all and apparently they're afraid to post the prices!

The video runs so quickly you have a hard time seeing what the "jig" is actually doing... they only show it working on a piece that's already been contoured... basically just tracing a template. Surely there must be more to it that that?

steve reeves
08-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Adam, that's a great "McGiver" use of what was at hand and looks like it should work just fine.

I must admit that I've never really understood the "resaw fence" concept.... for a piece of lumber that's already milled.... why not just use the paralell fence?

While I do resaw a good bit I'm likely missing something by being so dumb as to not know the purpose of the resaw fence thingy... I have one that came with my bandsaw fence...somewhere I have it anyway.. I don't think I've seen it in several years.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Cool. ........