PDA

View Full Version : End Table

Mike Conley
08-16-2008, 10:23 PM
This is the second one of these tables I have built. Several years ago I started two of the tables for our home. After I got partially into the project, my wife changed her mind and decided she only wanted one. So I only finished the one and put the rest of the pieces I had cut aside. After a few years, I decided to go ahead and make the second table. Can't let that nice cherry go to waste!

Finish is BLO, garnet shellac, varnish rubbed with 0000 steel wool, then rubbed with wax and steel wool. I put hours into this finish since this is the first time I have done this finish schedule. Hopefully I learned a lot.

I am thinking about trying to sell this table. We don't have room for it in our family room. Anybody have suggestions on what a fair asking price would be?

Thanks for looking.

Bruce Page
08-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Beautifully done Mike. The cherry will age nicely.
I would find some room for that!

Don C Peterson
08-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Very nice. Well done.

Jack Camillo
08-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Just a guess, but it probably wouldn't go for the hours you put into it. I'd love to say it would, because it's finely crafted and very beautiful. I only think it's difficult to sell, unfortunately, to get a fair return on the effort you've put into it. My guess would be 300-400 dollars, but that might be based on location, and finding a buyer in the market. Just a guess.

Mike Conley
08-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Just a guess, but it probably wouldn't go for the hours you put into it. I'd love to say it would, because it's finely crafted and very beautiful. I only think it's difficult to sell, unfortunately, to get a fair return on the effort you've put into it. My guess would be 300-400 dollars, but that might be based on location, and finding a buyer in the market. Just a guess.

There is no way I could charge based on the hours I have into it. I am way to slow!!!!! If I charged based on the hours I have into this table, it would be the most expensive table you have ever seen ;)

John Eaton
08-17-2008, 7:34 AM
Look up the cost of a decent table of similar size - I'd recommend Copeland Furniture (this is a line from Vermont that does modern interpretations of Arts/Crafts http://www.copelandfurniture.com/), the line was previously sold by Storehouse and now by Crate and Barrel. It will give you an idea of the price of a modern piece of furnitue using mostly hardwoods with machine-made details (Copeland does machine-made dovetails, hardwoods pretty much everywhere except for the sides of case pieces). I think that would provide a good starting point - based on the last Crate and Barrel catalog I received, a nightstand would sell in the $4-500 range. Then adjust for your market - you might need to research the area and see how well A&C furniture sells for, etc. Yours is handmade and I would think it would sell in the high-end of that range if not more, but really the local market dictates price.

As an aside, Restoration Hardware was selling A&C furniture and did very well with it - a table of similar size (but round) sold for about $700 (but eventually would go on sale for about $400). The furniture was well made, but most of the QSWO was put together from strips. It provided a rich field of ray flecks with almost all faces having QS or Rift Sawn faces, but it did cheapen the over-all effect. The jointery wasn't the best (few real M&T joints with a lot of screws/plugs instead) but the furniture was very solid and sold extremely well for many years. I especially like the double "mule" bedroom chest of drawers.

-- John

Jim Becker
08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice work, Mike.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Very nice work, Mike. If it were mine it would be a keeper.

John Thompson
08-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Well done, Mike.

Sarge..