PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds?

J.R. Rutter
08-16-2008, 9:39 PM
Did I miss something? I'm not able to post to classifieds and didn't see anything in the FAQ that mentioned it... Not sure who to PM about it.

Bruce Page
08-16-2008, 9:46 PM
JR, read the 3rd sticky down in the classified forum.

J.R. Rutter
08-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks! Donation sent!

jerry nazard
08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
J. R. - Had the same problem. It helps to read the fine print!

Ed Peters
08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
If we are all friends here, why do we need fine print?

Ed

Jim Becker
08-17-2008, 10:19 AM
It's not "fine print"...it's something that's clearly detailed and has been since the policy was instituted. Unfortunately, many folks still don't notice or read things like the stickies at the top of some forums. Nature of the world...

Jim
SMC Moderator

Fidel Fernandez
08-22-2008, 6:53 PM
Not to steal this thread but I paid the $6.00 but still cannot post in classifieds.

What should I do to post? I have the paypal receipt email.

Thanks for your attention.

Keith Outten
08-22-2008, 8:21 PM
Fidel,

I just manually updated your account, it will take a few minutes for our script to update your title. If you use the link on the donate page to donate via PayPal your title upgrade is done automatically. If you just go to PayPal and make the donation your account has to be updated manually. We check our PayPal account once per day generally and updates accounts.

Richard Niemiec
09-11-2008, 4:15 PM
I understand the rule about not being able to initiate a post in Classified ads unless you pay the dues, but why can't you respond to a Classified post with a question, perhaps one which would be of value to others interested in the item. It seems that sort of defeats the purpose of the prime directive, e.g, the exchange of information.

Rn

Eric Larsen
09-11-2008, 4:37 PM
I think it'd be too easy to circumvent the rules if we were able to respond.

Things like, "I'd like to know more about that 12" jointer, because I'm planning on selling my 8" Powermatic for $500 and upgrading."

That sort of thing.

One thing I find funny is the "Classifieds Fee is $6.00 to Members, Free for Contributors" message. Has anyone ever emailed, saying, "I absolutely do not want to contribute to the Creek. Here's $6 so I can post an ad, but don't you dare put 'contributor' under my avatar!"

(And, no, I'm not selling my jointer.)

Eric

PS -- My $6 will be on the way shortly. I've certainly received far more than $6 worth of information this past year.

Justin Leiwig
09-11-2008, 4:37 PM
I understand the rule about not being able to initiate a post in Classified ads unless you pay the dues, but why can't you respond to a Classified post with a question, perhaps one which would be of value to others interested in the item. It seems that sort of defeats the purpose of the prime directive, e.g, the exchange of information.

Rn

I don't think the system is set up to be able to differentiate between actual posts or just replies, so the whole forum is post only for members. What I mean is that right now if it were set up as you want if a non contributor could post a reply then they could post a classified ad. I don't think forum software has reached that level of sophistication.

Keith Outten
09-11-2008, 7:48 PM
Justin,

Your right, we can control who reads and who posts in a Forum but we can't prevent anyone with posting rights from posting ads. Members who are interested in responding to Classified ads can do so via a Private Message.

Thanks to all of you for supporting The Creek, the 50 cents per month adds up over a years time and helps us to pay the bills keeping The Creek flowing for all to enjoy.

Keith