PDA

View Full Version : Dresser is finally finished

Alex Berkovsky
08-16-2008, 7:13 PM
My daughter has been patiently waiting for it G-d knows how long. For me, it's a second project in furniture making. Some of you may recall my previous posts asking a lot of questions about drawers and finishing. Thanks to all of you and a very special thanks to Richard Wolf for saving it from a sledge hammer. The plans were taken from Wood Magazine with a few modifications. Instead of a solid maple top, I used quilted maple veneer. Unfortunately it had a little defect and I had no idea how to fix it; I guess it gives it some character. :D Drawer construction used was NK style; another first for me. Someone had posted a nice tutorial here how to build them that helped a lot.

Glaring mistakes made... when I glued up the carcass, it came out a little out of square. That caused a snow ball effect... I had to adjust the false drawer fronts to fit the openings. Since the drawer boxes are square, when you pull out the drawer, you can tell (or at least I can) that there was a major screw-up. I guess that's part of a learning process. For a finish I sprayed a coat of dewaxed shellac followed by lacquer. Looking closer at the drawer fronts, you can see some blotching though. Next up... a mirror to hang above it. Again, thanks to all for your guidance throughout this project.

John Keeton
08-16-2008, 9:49 PM
Alex, we are our worst critics. I don't see anything wrong with the dresser, and the top really sets it off. Nice work!

James Ashburn
08-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Seriously nice. Even though you pointed out flaws, I can't find them. Great work and I bet your daughter is proud. Next time just play "Where's Waldo" with the flaws.

Jim Becker
08-17-2008, 10:05 AM
That's a sharp looking dresser, Alex. I agree with the others..."we" can be our own worst critics. Any small flaws that are "real" just add to the character of the piece, so don't sweat it!

Paul Girouard
08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Very nice. On flaws ya we beat ourselves up over them, they happen, whats a mother to do.

She should treasure that piece for years / a life time. Hopefully she'll lose the girlie girlie pink wall color choices in that future:D

Are you Jewish? I noticed you left the "o" out of God. I was trying to make it into another shortened form of a often used term of endearment, well really a curse I guess.:eek:

Anyway fine job:cool:

John Thompson
08-17-2008, 11:23 AM
You handled the drawer fronts very well... I like em... Nice job overall..

Sarge..

Jerome Hanby
08-17-2008, 3:13 PM
Looks similar to one in Bill Hylton's book. Great job, it looks fantastic. Hope my wife doesn't see it.

glenn bradley
08-17-2008, 3:31 PM
Wow, how did I miss that this morning. Beautiful job.

Alex Berkovsky
08-17-2008, 4:13 PM
Thank you all for your comments; it means a lot coming from accomplished woodworkers.

... Are you Jewish? I noticed you left the "o" out of God.Paul,
You are correct, I am.

Hopefully she'll lose the girlie girlie pink wall color choices in that futureOh no! No more painting please.

Ed Sallee
08-17-2008, 5:37 PM
Very Nice, Alex! I look forward to seeing the matching mirror that is on your next up list.... That looks like it was fun to make.

Don Bullock
08-18-2008, 1:09 AM
Alex, that's a beautiful chest. Congratulations on a job well done. I'd say you have talent for this kind of work.

...For me, it's a second project in furniture making. ...

I wouldn't dare post a picture of my second furniture project. I'm positive that it is in a landfill somewhere.

Craig Hemsath
08-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Alex, that is a beautiful piece of work. Couple quick questions. What issue of Wood did you find the plans? That's exactly like the plans I'm thinking of for my wife's dresser I'm supposed to build her and I'd like to see them.

Second question, what did you use for a finish? I think it looks terrific.

Steve Pirrelli
08-19-2008, 5:30 AM
That's surely an heirloom. I like the hardware you chose also.

Dewey Torres
08-19-2008, 11:43 AM
I like!
Thanks for sharing.

Clara Koss
08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
beautiful, gorgeous dresser!!!!! a family heirloom for sure!!!!! great workmanship.... thanks for posting....

Anthony Anderson
08-20-2008, 3:30 PM
Beautiful job Alex! That will last forever, and I'm sure that your daughter will cherish it. If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of the dresser? My son has also been waiting on a dresser for some time, and I really like the dimension, and design, of your dresser. Although what I have in mind will be about half the length of the dresser that you built, but about the same height. I really like the cherry and maple, and the two drawers on each side of center. Form and function, I really like it. Don't be too hard on yourself for the errors. Like Jim said, they add character. I don't recall a project that I ever completed that I hadn't made at least one mistake on, but I seem to be the only one who notices. Thanks for sharing, Bill