PDA

View Full Version : ROS vs. Sheet Sanders

Lance Norris
08-16-2008, 6:19 PM
I have 2 Bosch Sheet sanders, a 1/2 sheet and a 1/4 sheet. I have used sheet sanders for quite a while now and have always had good results. The latest issue of Wood Magazine just came out and there is a tool test of Random Orbit Sanders, and it got me thinking. Do I need a ROS?

Ed Peters
08-16-2008, 7:40 PM
Wouldn't be without mine. It is the sanding workhorse in my shop.

Ed

Bruce Page
08-16-2008, 7:59 PM
I use my PC505 for aggressive sanding and it works great for that, but I grab one of my PC ROS’s when it comes time for finish sanding. They have better dust collection, are easier to work through the different grits, don’t care about grain direction, and give a better finish, IMHO.

Peter Quinn
08-16-2008, 8:08 PM
I find it difficult to sand rail/style intersections with a straight line sander, so if that is part of your work a ROS might prove useful.

glenn bradley
08-16-2008, 8:34 PM
The ROS by design has a pattern that gives less grief across grain directions. I have two 1/4 sheet (one is restricted to cast iron surface maintenanace) and two ROS. I wouldn't want to give up the ROS if I had to choose.

Bill Arnold
08-16-2008, 8:52 PM
I have one PC ROS and one Makita ROS. I also have a sheet sander that I haven't used in so long I can't remember where it is! :confused:

Bruce Glazier
08-16-2008, 8:57 PM
I have both. I use the ROS by far the most.

Rich Engelhardt
08-17-2008, 6:03 AM
Hello,
A ROS is close to being one the best things since sliced bread when it comes to a ROS vs a sheet sander.
I've owned a fair number of sheet sanders over the years, (& probably still will - they have their niche) and there's no comparison.
The ROS is a whole lot more forgiving of grit goofs.

Chris Kennedy
08-17-2008, 7:07 AM
I have a sheet sander and an ROS (and a belt). When I moved, I didn't unpack the sheet sander, and I haven't missed it.

Cheers,

Chris

Tom Esh
08-17-2008, 1:10 PM
I have 2 Bosch Sheet sanders, a 1/2 sheet and a 1/4 sheet. I have used sheet sanders for quite a while now and have always had good results. The latest issue of Wood Magazine just came out and there is a tool test of Random Orbit Sanders, and it got me thinking. Do I need a ROS?

I used the sheet type for years before trying a ROS, which I now use almost exclusively. I really like the ROS's fast grit changes and better dust collection. However because they're more aggressive I quickly discovered how easily you can "dish" the workpiece if you aren't paying attention.:eek:

Don Bullock
08-17-2008, 3:00 PM
I have both a Festool ROS and sheet sander. By far the ROS is my "go to" sander for the bulk of my work. In the past (at least 40 years) I only had a sheet sander and had no idea what an improvement a ROS could make for my woodworking. Wow, what an improvement.

Lance Norris
08-17-2008, 3:41 PM
Thanks for everyones comments. I just ordered the top rated ROS in the Wood Magazine review, the Porter Cable 390K. I will be looking forward to using it on the table I am refinishing. I have sanded this table to 150 grit with my sheet sander, but will finish with 220 and the ROS.