PDA

View Full Version : Blum Hardware Display - What I'd Like to Achieve

Mike Shields
08-16-2008, 4:34 PM
I was recently shopping at Denver's Louis and Company for confirmat screws and hinges. While browsing, I was very impressed by a Blum display cabinet for hinges and drawer slides.

The cabinet face and doors were made from maple, and appeared to have been sprayed with poly. The door stiles/rails were mechanically fastened, not glued, as evident by very small indentations at the corners. This display cabinet was incredible for this beginning woodworker to lookover. IMO, the product was flawless. I'm sure I was looked at twice, as I was obviously spending more time admiring the construction, instead of looking at the Blum products!

I wish I could have found a picture to post, but no luck.

So, I'm curious if anyone knows or can guess:

1. Is this the kind of work that comes from a very expensive production shop? Is it possible to achieve this level of quality out of a hobbyist garage?

2. If it came from a production shop, is it likely that a spray method was used, and with what type of finish?

3. What would be the likely fastening method if glue wasn't used, possibly a pin nailer?

Sorry if these questions seem a little out there. I does help to have a goal in WW, and if I could ever achieve to that (Blum) level, I may have to say I've reached one aspect of my goal.

Gotta love this hobby!
Mike