PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla glue

Ron McAllister
08-16-2008, 2:15 PM
I was considering using gorilla glue to attach a Corrianne counter top to some wood strip build up on a vanity cabinet instead of silicone. Anybody have experience with this idea?

Steve knight
08-16-2008, 2:22 PM
silicone or e6000 (silicone glue) will both work better then gorilla glue. I have never found gorillas glue to stick to plastic very well. epoxy would work too.

Don Abele
08-16-2008, 5:05 PM
Ron, when I attached my counters I use 100% silicone caulk and have never had a problem with them.

As for the Gorilla glue, a while back there was a magazine comparison (I think WOOD magazine) of different glues, including GG. The GG was among the worst glue rated for pretty much EVERY application. After reading that article, I stopped using it. I used to use it primarily for gap filling applications. While it does fill the gaps, it has next to no strength. I switched back to what I had been using before GG, two-part epoxy.

Be well,

Doc

Jason White
08-16-2008, 5:38 PM
I've seen granite installers use nothing but silicone. If you really want it to stay put, you might consider construction adhesive like PL. Gorilla Glue will likely just make a big, foamy mess.

JW

I was considering using gorilla glue to attach a Corrianne counter top to some wood strip build up on a vanity cabinet instead of silicone. Anybody have experience with this idea?

jerry nazard
08-16-2008, 6:52 PM
Don was referencing the FineWoodWorking article from sometime last year. Gorilla Glue didn't fare well in those particular tests: but, if IRC, the tests were bonding wood to wood only. I'd still use silicone.

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2008, 7:30 PM
silicone or e6000 (silicone glue) will both work better then gorilla glue. I have never found gorillas glue to stick to plastic very well. epoxy would work too.

Yup...I agree AND concur. :)

Peter Quinn
08-16-2008, 8:21 PM
Silicone. That will do it. Gorilla glue is pretty rigid when cured. Corian is pretty rigid too, but wood moves. Any adhesive used to bond solid surface to wood should allow for wood movement.

I do like gorilla glue for a strong waterproof wood to wood bond. It foams but that foam is much easier to remove than hardened PVA glue. Kinda tricky in some stain grade work. As much as I respect FWW I haven't had a problem with PL glue failing. That article seemed to conclude, "Do you want the bond which is stronger than the wood, way stronger than the wood, or complete overkill?" I don't think they were suggesting PL glue is junk, and I'm not sure I would draw any strong conclusions from a test with so much science yet such a small sample size.