PDA

View Full Version : Sold 12" Crapsman Bandsaw, so...

Scott Coffelt
05-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I get to buy a new bandsaw. The Mini Max sure looks nice, but way, way, way out of the tool budget. The SWMBO dropped her jaw when I showed her the price of the new saws. :eek: My budget puts me in line for the Grizzly 17". Now do I go pick up it Friday or place an online order..... :p
Since I live 3-4 hours from Springfield and I have not been there, I am leaning towards visiting the show room.

On the other note, I sold my 12" tiling head Crapsman at a garage sale for $110, I think a fair price. The new saw should fill the space just beautifully.

Does anyone know if Woodcrafter's carries 131 1/2" saw blades? I have three NIB blades that I bought there and may check to see if I can exchange them for blades for the new saw.

Jim Becker
05-02-2004, 1:50 PM
Scott, compare the shipping cost from Griz vs the sales tax you'll pay at the showroom, although there is a certain "instant satisfaction" from picking up regardless.

As to blades...order direct from Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) and pay close to half what you'll have to pay at Woodcraft, even if they have that size in stock. You might also talk to Iturra about a 1/2" Lenox carbide tipped blade for your new saw...they are not inexpensive, but life is measured in years rather than weekends!

Scott Coffelt
05-02-2004, 2:31 PM
I will pay sales tax regardless of the method, I believe the Internet taxes are now used by the state of Kansas. Thanks on the blades, I was just wanting to trade out for blades that will fit. All future blade orders would be of better quality. An alternative method is to get store credit (I spend $25 just for walking in the door when ever I go anyways).

Rick Haigh
05-02-2004, 9:16 PM
Scott,

The Grizzly showroom is really cool. I stop by whenever I am coming home from Branson. You will probably come home with more than just a bandsaw...

Rick

Lars Thomas
05-02-2004, 9:46 PM
Scott, the 16" Jet is in that same price range. I was going to get the 17" Grizzly until I found the Jet on sale ($100 off) at Rockler a month or two ago. Plus it matches the other white stuff in my shop. The two designs seem to be identical. If both saws were at regular price, I think I would lean towards the Griz because of the bigger motor (2 vs 1.5hp) and the Griz comes with a fence and miter guage which the Jet doesn't.

By the way, I think you did great getting $110 on the 12" Craftsman. I'm in the same position as you, but I can't sell my 12" Craftsman at $75 (via Saw Mill Creek Classifieds).

Scott Coffelt
05-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Lars,

I looked at the Jet also but for about the same money, the Grizzly gives you so much more. I was hoping they would be equal so I could add some more white, but instead it will have to be green and white :D . Besides what you mentioned, the Grizzly has bearing guide blocks and great throat and resawing capacity. I've heard some real good reviews with the grizzly and have always been impressed with my 1023S. Some of the lower end Grizzly stuff is questionable on quality, but the more expensive stuff seems to give others a run for the money. Like i said, the Mini max would be the ideal, but at 3 times the price, there is no way to get that approved. besides, i like my tools I just do not want to have to sleep with them :rolleyes: .

Yes, I was pleased to get the amount I got. I knew the guy was hooked when he came back after five minutes. He originally offered me less. I can tell you his wife wasn't too pleased about it as she lost the chance to buy some furniture next door as it sold while he contiplated the purchase.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Scott, the latest issue of FineWoodWorking gave an evaluation on bandsaws. I just saw my first "good" bandsaws in San Antonio while visiting earlier this month. Reading the reviews opened my eyes to things about the one I had decided I wanted. You might want to check out the article. Good Luck!