PDA

View Full Version : Feature request

Doug Griffith
08-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I would like to have an internal and external port on my machine that would help with automation and make working with the machine more efficient. It seems like a simple thing for manufacturers to do and would add very little cost.

Start job (close a circuit)
Stop job (close a circuit)
Job is running (+5v)
Door is open (+5v)

This would allow us to build custom interfaces that monitor the machine (ie. a light the user can see from across the room telling if the job has stopped) and trigger actions (ie. start a job when the door is closed). We could do even more complex things with PLCs and computer interface cards.

Just thought I'd put this out there in case the right person is listening.

David Fairfield
08-16-2008, 2:03 PM
I'd like to have a miter capability! :cool:

Doug Griffith
08-16-2008, 2:25 PM
I'd like to have a miter capability! :cool:

Yes, everyone needs a ceremonial headdress worn by ancient Jewish high priests.

David Fairfield
08-16-2008, 2:51 PM
Yes, everyone needs a ceremonial headdress worn by ancient Jewish high priests.

Piece of cake to laser one of those without a 45 bevel. I was thinking more of matte board and dove tails. :p

Mike Mackenzie
08-16-2008, 4:03 PM
Universal Has had this feature for many years.

Scott Shepherd
08-16-2008, 7:46 PM
Funny you say that Mike, in a recent thread where everyone was putting things on the "wish" list for future drivers on a brand, I kept thinking "Universal already has all of those features". To be fair, Trotec as well on those other features. I can't speak for this one, but you have!

Margaret Turco
08-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Newbie here....
Do you mean that Universal can do matte boards with 45° cuts?

Scott Shepherd
08-17-2008, 1:01 PM
I think Mike was referring to the ability to pick up an electrical signal and make it do something (I could be wrong), and I was referring to another thread where people were requesting features for their drivers that they wanted added.

Doug Griffith
08-17-2008, 6:18 PM
...or the head dress!

I did not know ULS had the ability to send/accept signals. Another reason for the competitors (read Epilog) to do the same. Besides the more full-featured ULS driver, this might have swayed my purchasing decision

Charlie Bice
08-17-2008, 8:37 PM
ULS has added significantly to their line since we bought our first Epilog.

Due to our specific business a 36x24 (or larger) table was required so we stayed with Epilog. Now ULS has the Industrial series, but, not sure how much more that might be.

charlie

Stephen Beckham
08-17-2008, 9:05 PM
I've been dying to plug into the maintenance port on the back of my Epilog - but won't do it... I figure they've got some two comms setup for 'maintenenace' but my luck, I'll blow a board testing the outputs.

The after market stuff would be crazy if we had that port's function. Timers, auto on/off switches for exhaust or compressor when the green button is pushed, electric shock band to wake you up after a long run :eek: ....