PDA

View Full Version : Free turning cherry; beetle question

Hilel Salomon
08-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I've just spent several hours cutting up most of the large cherry tree I had cut down. I halved quite a few of them and have more than enough for me. If you're somewhere w/in driving distance of Columbia, SC, pm me as I'll be happy to share some of it w/fellow turners. The grain is exceptionally nice. I left the large stump (about four and a half feet high) for cutting sometime in the Fall and the offer will be open again. Most of the wood I cut and halved is from 7.5-9" in diameter.
Now for the question. Some pieces have a lot of beetles and what looks like grub worms crawling around. Remembering that I am a wood miser, would you treat the pieces or just throw them out?
I do appreciate all the help and advice I get from you folks.
Hilel.

Norris Randall
08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I would not throw any out.
Worm holes will add character to the finished item. :D

Matt Hutchinson
08-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, definitely keep them. As far as trying to kill the little guys, I wouldn't bother. I would just wait 'til you turn them, and remove them as they emerge. Nice haul! Wish I were closer!

Hutch

Darryl Hansen
08-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Depends upon how soon you will turn the pieces. The grubs will continue to eat unless they are "sap suckers" and even then will continue to burrow into the woods looking for food. Might try bagging the wood and spraying insecticide "ugh I hate to think of it" into the bag then close it up for a few days. If you do that remember when you turn you will be exposing yourself to the residue. Do not give u the wood the burrows will look great in the finished product.