PDA

View Full Version : Shaper purchase?

Kent E. Matthew
08-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I will be making a shaper purchase within the next couple of months. If Craigslist does not come through I was thinking about Grizzly. I know the consensus on this board is buy a bigger jointer. I have never needed more than a 6 inch. I was thinking entry level grizzly models GO654, GO452, or G1182ZHW. I must budget because I have a few more pieces of equipment to buy in the near future. I am used to an old Atlas 6 inch model that is older than you, me, and the moderator. Any one have experience with any of these models? Any comments are welcome, thanks.

Chris Knudsen
08-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm confused, are you after a shaper or a jointer?

John Thompson
08-16-2008, 2:19 PM
I'm confused, are you after a shaper or a jointer?

I believe he means shaper, Chris. I think Kent was using the not needing more than a 6" jointer to parralllel he might not need a more powerful and expensive shaper? Just a guest as how I read it.

See ya at the Show as we discussed...

Sarge..

Kent E. Matthew
08-16-2008, 3:23 PM
Oh God, I am terribly sorry. No I meant jointer. I have no idea how shaper ended up in the first sentence, and in the topic line as well I see. Well, I really fouled that one up.

Peter Quinn
08-16-2008, 4:14 PM
Kent, you clearly have a shaper on the mind. Perhaps you need both?

In any event I have a 6" general int. long bed that works great. The longer bed is a real asset for much of what i do. You can make a lot of things with a 6" jointer, no shame there. I also have a 8" DJ-20, and access to two 12" jointers at work. I'd say consider your long term needs on the jointer purchase. Its hard to explain how much more capable an industrial 8" or 12" machine is till you've used one. Of course spending your whole budget on a jointer would be pretty silly too.

Kent E. Matthew
08-16-2008, 4:36 PM
Kent, you clearly have a shaper on the mind. Perhaps you need both?

In any event I have a 6" general int. long bed that works great. The longer bed is a real asset for much of what i do. You can make a lot of things with a 6" jointer, no shame there. I also have a 8" DJ-20, and access to two 12" jointers at work. I'd say consider your long term needs on the jointer purchase. Its hard to explain how much more capable an industrial 8" or 12" machine is till you've used one. Of course spending your whole budget on a jointer would be pretty silly too.

Yes, I would very much like to own a shaper relatively soon. I have been watching Craigslist and there is a Delta DJ-15 for 500 dollars, and an X5 for 400. Since I do have 220v in my shop would it be worth it to get a machine to uses 220v?