PDA

View Full Version : Dom Perignon and cheeseburgers?

Rich Engelhardt
08-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Hello,
Well, I took a dip into the Green Sea this morning.
$648.00 later, I'm the (?)proud owner of a TS 55 EQ, an extra 42" (they were out of the extra 55") rail, the joint thingie's to join them together and a pair of clamps.

Opps - can't forget the carrying case.

Me, "Nice, it comes with a carrying/storage case. That'll make my wife happy."
Salesman. "Festool calls it a Systainer".
Me. "Of course they do!". :D

So. Here I am. Nice new tool and the only thing I have to cut with it is the junk borg plywood.:rolleyes:
I'm honestly afraid of hitting a piece of metal in that stuff.
It'll probably be Spring before I can afford to buy a decent piece of wood to cut:rolleyes:
Man - this is getting costly.

James Hart
08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Rich,

Great saw, you'll love it. I'd personally take the 42" rail back and either wait until they get 55" rails in or get the next longer size.

If you're going to rip a 4X8 sheet, the combined rails should be long enough to plunge the saw before you cut, with room at the end of the cut as well.

Your 2 rails combine to 96", which is pretty much no man's land.

Jim

Bob Marino
08-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Rich,

James is 100% correct, get the 55" rail, even if you have to wait a few days.

Bob

John Lucas
08-16-2008, 3:50 PM
Did you get a dust collector with it? You can't beat the TS55 and guide rail but it needs a vacuum to really work well. The CT22 beckons - ask Bob for his advice.

Mike Shields
08-16-2008, 3:50 PM
Hello,
Well, I took a dip into the Green Sea this morning.

I remember my first visit several years ago. Just be prepared, as you will find it a place to visit often!

You didn't mention that you bought a CT vac. IMO, a must have for either of the TSs. Or, was it the MFT?

Restated, 3 things that go extremely well together are the TS, the CT vac, and the MFT. That should be a very good start!

Congrats.

Matt Ocel
08-16-2008, 7:54 PM
LOL -
That reminds me of my Miami Vice wanna be days.

Actually I had Dom and White Castles. MMMM Tasty!:D

Peter Quinn
08-16-2008, 8:36 PM
I'd rather cut nasty borg plywood with a great saw than try to cut AA-1 architectural grade plywood with a nasty borg saw. Enviable position your in I'd say.

Come to think of it I'd rather drink Dom and cheese burgers than eat caviar with Schlitz! Though at heart I prefer Guinness either way.

Bill Arnold
08-16-2008, 8:56 PM
I can buy a lot of tools and fine wood for $648. ;)

Never had a problem cutting and building nice stuff with other colors of tools, yet. :D

:)

Rich Engelhardt
08-17-2008, 5:43 AM
Hello,
Well, I swam a bit in the Green Sea yesterday and used the Dom on one of the bog cheeseburgers (more like a Crabby Patty :D).
I hooked the 42" and 55" together and stuck it on a pice of 4x8. There was just a nibble of track on each side and it looked like it might work, so I fired it up and had at it.
The 42" was just a tad short to work flawlessly, but it did work. It takes a bit of effort to start and finish a 96" cut, but it's doable enough that I think i stay with the 42" for the time being.
I made a crosscut on one of the 24" wide pieces i'd just cut, and the 42" is definalty better suited for that than the 55".
Eventually I'll probably end up with another 55" section, but @ $89.00 it's going to wait.

Re: The CT22 - I wish!
I agree it's necessary as part of the whole package, but it was difficult enough to justify buying the saw itself to my wife. Possibly next year if funds allow.

You'all are right though. It is a very nice setup.

John Lucas
08-17-2008, 6:39 AM
,,,Re: The CT22 - I wish!
I agree it's necessary as part of the whole package, but it was difficult enough to justify buying the saw itself to my wife. Possibly next year if funds allow.

You'all are right though. It is a very nice setup.

Not to press the point, but wives in general like the vacuum part of the whole rig since it means no sawdust to rack thru the house.

Per Swenson
08-17-2008, 8:52 AM
Rich,

Here comes the echo chamber.
You really need the vac. I use the ts 55 forty hours a week.

You will find that after long rips with out the vac the saw has the potential
to clog. This adds heat which affects the MMC electronics.

You will start to see that little red light go on and the saw shuts down.

Now about the Missus, when you explain to her that with this saw and Ct combo, you can work right here in the living room....

Per

Greg Cole
08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
One more voice for the choir in the echo chamber here... I bought a Domino awhile back and adapted it to my shop vac for initial use. Loud, the transition from the 2.5" hose to the dust port is a PITA and always in the way & did I mention loud?
To make a long story short, the CT vac's are well worth the money and you will like the way everything black n green works as a system.
Cheers.
Greg

William OConnell
08-17-2008, 12:20 PM
LOL -
That reminds me of my Miami Vice wanna be days.

Actually I had Dom and White Castles. MMMM Tasty!:D

It reminds me of a Jimmy Buffet Concert. Ive got tickets to an outdoor beach theater next week. He does a song "Cheeseburger in paradise" which is why it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the post.

Oh and I installed 6 drawers in an oak armoire yesterday. Just to keep this post on topic. I sanded them with the smaller festool sander(125?) and 33 shop vac. I like to keep my dovetails a little proud of the box and then sand them flush later

Don Bullock
08-17-2008, 3:10 PM
Congratulations Rich on a great choice. Being the owner of a CT 22 I can definitely say that you "need" one. The other day I showed the LOML how little sanding dust I was bringing into the house from the shop because of the dust extraction.:eek:

Hello,
Well, I took a dip into the Green Sea this morning....
Man - this is getting costly.

I've taken the same dip twice now for a sander and a CT 22/sander combo. I'd love to take another one for the TS 55 EQ like you just did, but I'll have to wait for the right opportunity to convince SWMBO that I need to buy one for a project she wants me to make. That $475.00 just isn't in her budget right now and after all that I've spent on tools recently plus what we're spending on the new shop/garage it will be a long wait.;):D