PDA

View Full Version : Lance Profiled Skew

Johnny Kleso
08-16-2008, 1:49 AM
I'm not taking the curved edge but do you all raidus the bottom side and chamfer the top on all your skew chisels???

I just finished doing the large skew Windsor Design (red handle) set for HF and really feels better in my hand..

Should I do the 1/2" as well?????

Also what edges can I soften (small raidus) on the other chisels ????

Thanks Much

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2008, 1:53 AM
Johnny,

I use both a straight skew and a couple of recently purchase Lacer radiused skews. I round the short point sides and leave the long point sides square. Rounding the short point sides allow the skew to slide better on the tool rest when planing. Leaving the long point sides square allows for better control when making plunge cuts long point first. I might just knock off...ever so slightly chamfer the long point corners.

Lacer's radiused skews come this way.

I recently got Lacers original skew video and that's what he recommends too.

Frank Drew
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Also what edges can I soften (small raidus) on the other chisels ????

Johnny,

I'd soften any edge that feels too sharp; same with furniture but even more so since we're handling our tools so much more.

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2008, 1:41 PM
I soft the short edge but leave the long edge square like Ken. Lacer skews come ready to use. I have both his and Raffans big one the I had to soften the short edge.

Bob Bergstrom
08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
I do the same as others plus I will taper the front of the skew to make it a little thinner while still maintaining its stiffness. I also like a short skew about 5". Both Dennis White and Allan Batty(both production turners) use a short skew. I also use old jointer blades for light detail skews (hard steel that can really hold an edge)