PDA

View Full Version : Brandi Carlile... What A Voice!

Lance Norris
08-16-2008, 1:32 AM
I was watching the Olympics and GM has a commercial with a little bit of a song called "Story" by a young woman named Brandi Carlile that just amazed me so much, I had to find it. She is in her mid 20s and has 2 albums out. Here is a link to "Story". She has a great voice, almost haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-ZmAYLeB8&feature=related

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-16-2008, 8:41 AM
She's got a set of pipes on her for sure.
WHo'd a thunk it from looking at here. I remember when she put that CD out. The Avant garde New music stations like XPN were playing that one cut.
Her other stuff isn't quite so dramatic.

Jim Becker
08-16-2008, 9:18 AM
Yup, WXPN.com jumps on this stuff early and often. One of the reasons I send them lots of money every year. And Brandy does have a wonderful voice.

Greg Peterson
08-17-2008, 2:21 PM
Thanks Lance. I was wondering who the singer/band was. Probably sell a few cars.

David G Baker
08-17-2008, 8:25 PM
I was watching the Elvis special "Viva Las Vegas" last night on CMT and heard Brandi sing an Elvis hit with Chris Isaak. This is the first time I had heard of her and the first time I had heard her sing. Wow what a voice. With in minutes of hearing her sing I was on Utube looking for something that would give me a better idea of her talent. My opinion, she is on her way. Looks like we pretty much agree.

Greg Peterson
08-22-2008, 11:18 PM
I broke down and bought Brandi's album "The Story" this morning. Turns out she's playing in town tonight. Unfortunately I was unable to go.

I was skeptical that the album wouldn't be good. It's a very solid offering. Turns out it's pretty darn close to just my cup of tea.

She reminds me of KD Lang and Norah Jones, but with a little more edge a times. Definitely not a studio princess. She has talent and the production does a great job of staying out of the way and letting her sing to the listener.

David G Baker
08-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Greg,
I did a Utube and looked at her video of Story. Went to Itunes and bought the song and have listened to it at least 20 times since. I love her voice there is just something about it that I can't put into words and from this thread she has impacted several others. KD Lang and Norah Jones are a couple of my favorites as well.

Greg Peterson
08-23-2008, 1:06 PM
David, the whole album is very, very good.

It's a refreshing listen. No loops, samples or foul language. Just good, solid songs. They possess a very organic quality.

David G Baker
08-23-2008, 6:05 PM
Greg,
I listened to samples of Brandi Carlile's "Story" album on Amazon or Walmart and the album was very good but I only had a small amount of credit in my Itune account so I purchased the song that moved me the most. The album is on my list for future purchase.

Paul Greathouse
08-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I really like Norah Jones but Brandi Carlile is Norah with an extra kick. I went to Amazon and downloaded her album "Story" this morning when I got home from work. As others have said the whole album is great. Besides Story, Turpentine is another good song on the album. I've been listening to her all afternoon, she has a beautiful voice.

Thanks for bringing her to my attention, there's no limit to the different types of valuable information available on Sawmill Creek.

David G Baker
08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Looks like Brandi is getting her own fan club here on SMC.