PDA

View Full Version : jointing veneer edges...

Michael Donahue
08-15-2008, 9:04 PM
Hey all. I have a project where I want to do some veneering that requires me to join 2 pieces of veneer. On the few veneering projects I've done before I've been lucky enough to have veneer wide enough that I didn't run into this situation :D I tried using a utility knife along a straight edge but that didn't work well at all. I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers! Thanks.

John Hedges
08-15-2008, 9:16 PM
If it is thick enough just joint it on the jointer.
If it is too thin then put it against the jointer fence and then put another piece of stock outside of it to sandwich it against the fence. Or if it's really thin sandwich it between 2 pieces of stock and run it on the jointer.

Mike Henderson
08-15-2008, 9:41 PM
Or sandwich it between two pieces of straight wood (maybe joint the wood first), then use a flush trim bit with your router.

When you join it, lay the veneer show face down and bring the two pieces together. Use blue tape to tape the pieces together. Make sure there's a good fit along the seam. Then turn the veneer over and put veneer tape on the show face. Once the veneer tape is dry, turn it glue face up and remove the blue tape.

You do not put veneer tape on the glue face. The only thing that should be on the glue face is wood.

Mike

David DeCristoforo
08-15-2008, 10:38 PM
All of the above suggestions are good. But I just use a veneer saw and a straight edge. "Google" for "veneer saw" to find sources and instructions on sharpening them. A knife is not the best even if very sharp due to it's tendency to follow the grain. The veneer saw is like a combination of a sharp knife and a fine tooth saw with a flat side to "ride" against the straight edge. Very quick and easy and you can cut multiple layers at once.

Mike Henderson
08-15-2008, 10:50 PM
All of the above suggestions are good. But I just use a veneer saw and a straight edge. "Google" for "veneer saw" to find sources and instructions on sharpening them. A knife is not the best even if very sharp due to it's tendency to follow the grain. The veneer saw is like a combination of a sharp knife and a fine tooth saw with a flat side to "ride" against the straight edge. Very quick and easy and you can cut multiple layers at once.
David can probably give you better advice on this than I can but you need to sharpen a veneer saw - unless you buy it from a place that will sharpen it for you. The standard veneer saw does not come from the manufacturer sharpened.

Mike

David DeCristoforo
08-15-2008, 11:51 PM
"...you need to sharpen a veneer saw"

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/saw-sharpen.htm

Jim Tobias
08-16-2008, 1:13 AM
I have purchased a couple over the years from this place and they came very sharp and ready to use. Use the item number below on ebay and you will find it.

Jim

Item number: 220263067175