PDA

View Full Version : new blade = new projects

Ned Bulken
05-02-2004, 12:52 AM
I recently put a new blade on the shop's venerable old bandsaw. It is a 70's vintage 10" craftsman, but it cuts pretty well. I replaced the 1/4" blade with a 1/8" 14 tpi, and wow what a difference.
Just for fun I took a well seasoned piece of cherry firewood, cut off a chunk and proceeded to make a puzzle/keepsake box out of it.
I was pleasantly surprised at just how tight a radius I could cut. I had seen 'keyed' bandsawn creations which I hadn't been able to make with the old blade. I took that chunk of firewood and carved the main box and then two nested boxes within it.
It was and is still quite rough, but it was a fun hour or so. I think I'll keep that one as my 'first' box of this stye, and I'll be making a few more serious/refined versions for sale. Our first show of the season is coming up next week, so I'll be burning some midnight oil to get a half a dozen or so worked up. I'll try and post pics of the 'fancier' boxes.

Bruce Page
05-02-2004, 1:30 AM
Ned, we would love to see some pic's of your band saw boxes!

Tom Hintz
05-02-2004, 3:52 AM
Ned,
I have an early 90's Craftsman 12" bandsaw that I was about to tip over and drag to death behind my car, until I put Timber Wolf blades on it. Like you, I was amazed at the transformation. I now have a very efficient machine, oddly enough in the same exact place where a useless piece of junk once stood.
Fun ain't it?

Ned Bulken
05-02-2004, 7:58 AM
Ned,
I have an early 90's Craftsman 12" bandsaw that I was about to tip over and drag to death behind my car, until I put Timber Wolf blades on it. Like you, I was amazed at the transformation. I now have a very efficient machine, oddly enough in the same exact place where a useless piece of junk once stood.
Fun ain't it?
Tom,
yep, the new blades aren't even fancy ones, just stock craftsman blades. I found a multi-pack on sale, so I picked up 6 blades 4 1/8" blades and 2 1/4" for just $20! I also sprang for a 1/2" just to try my hand at some resawing. There's a pile of maple and butternut which I just picked up, and I need some 1/4 or 3/8 stock, but it is all over an inch thick... I may just 'have' to do something about that ;)

Bruce, I sure will post pics, have to make the boxes first of course :D

Have a great day!