PDA

View Full Version : Company Picnic Door Prizes

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2008, 4:26 PM
We are a vendor for a local company for several products, none of them lasered. I just got a call from a company rep asking if we would provide some items to be given away as door prizes at their company picnic. They specifically requested items with our logo on them as they feel this keeps preferred vendors on constant display. Typically other vendors donate items like hats, lanyards, mugs, etc.

This is my opportunity to really show this company what the laser can do, hopefully getting them to start thinking of things we can do for them, and also get some good public exposure. So, here is where I need your help. I was thinking utility type knives, Mini-Mags, multi tools, wood pens, that sort of thing. I don't really want to end up doing a bunch of onsies, but the holiday season is fast approaching so I wouldn't turn the business away. I'd also like to get the message across that we can do company awards, signage, name plates, etc.

I'm open to suggestions, and please let me know if there is anything really new and exciting on the market. My main use of the laser is engraving ID tags for engine rooms on yachts so I'm not up to speed on the latest and the greatest. The employee breakdown is around 90% male.

Thanks all for your help!

Brian Robison
08-15-2008, 4:40 PM
How about beer mugs, their logo on the outside, yours on the bottom. Every time they tip it up, they'll be seeing your add. Two adds for the price of one.

Steve Clarkson
08-15-2008, 4:41 PM
"engraing ID tags for engine rooms on yachts".......Wow!!!! Where in the world do you guys come up with these niche markets? I never would have thought of doing that in a million years! Is that something you just fell into, or is it that you couldn't find anyone to engrave ID tags for YOUR yacht??? I really hope that someday I find my own niche........

Anyway......my recommendation is that whatever you do.....don't do all the same thing......ie. don't do 100 pen sets......I think that this is a great opportunity for you to show the versatility of your laser and all the various substrates that it can engrave. Just imagine the table full of door prizes that everyone will walk by......give them something to look at or browse through......and make sure that they know that each and every one was done by YOU!

You could probably get rid of alot of your scrap material that way too......

Mike Null
08-15-2008, 4:56 PM
I would do all the same. Nobody gets preferred treatment and you control the cost.

I would buy something then engrave it. Key rings for example. Good quality but not enough to break the bank--not throw-aways in other words.

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2008, 5:18 PM
How about beer mugs, their logo on the outside, yours on the bottom. Every time they tip it up, they'll be seeing your add. Two adds for the price of one.

I like the idea Brian, but anything alcohol related is not an option at the request of the company.

"engraving ID tags for engine rooms on yachts".......Wow!!!! Where in the world do you guys come up with these niche markets? I never would have thought of doing that in a million years! Is that something you just fell into, or is it that you couldn't find anyone to engrave ID tags for YOUR yacht??? I really hope that someday I find my own niche........

I don't even own a dinghy! :p It is actually something we sort of fell into. A guy who is in independent yacht refitter mentioned to a friend that he needed an light panel overlay done on a project. The friend happened to be a friend of mine (luckily). The refitter and I have developed a really good working relationship, and friendship, and I have gotten a lot of work from him. He can bring in some real challenges though! Talking about a niche, I also engrave modification tags for a local luxury jet manufacturer. They do refurbs as well as new builds. Every time a seat is reupholstered it has to have a mod tag attached to the underside, where no one every sees it, and I get to make the tags.:D

David Fairfield
08-15-2008, 6:38 PM
I'd look at it this way-- how many corporate premiums have you gotten over the years, and how many of them do you still have or use?

I've gotten heaps of them. Excluding a canvas tote bag which isn't relevant here, and all the plastic clicky pens from companies I never dealt with and can't explain how they ended up in the jar on my desk, the only ones I haven't tossed out are:

1) a pocket calculator

2) a pen light

3) a pen knife

4) a ruler

I'd check out the new LED lights on the market, there are some that are small enough to attach to jacket zippers. If I were on the recieving end of another giveaway, I'd want one. Or if that were too expensive, just gimme some chocolate. :D

Dave

Pete Simmons
08-15-2008, 7:07 PM
If there are any golfers in the group a anodized divot with their name on it.

I have made a lot of them for local tournaments and the people hang onto them for years.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-15-2008, 7:59 PM
Name tags from some wood used on the yachts.
My daughter designed an I pod looking thing for my birthday that we gave to every one that came. We went to a Brazilian Steakhouse that has all you can eat Fillet Mignon, Sirloin Picanha, Alaskan Salmon etc.. so on the I pod screen we put:

I survived
Michael's 47th
Birthday party
@
Guri Du Sol

IF you have ever been to one you know they don't stop coming until you turn the card over from GREEN to RED. Every one thought it was cool to have it as their memento. It had 4 things to remind them. Who it was for, What it was for , Where it was, and When it was.

You could also turn it into a keychain about the picnic but have your website or email. I make "Round 2it's" like that to give out at events also.
Sorry I can't post that one because it is just like a business card and would be considered self promotion.

You can get a BBQ set of tongs, fork, and knife set and engrave it. make some wooden pickle forks with your name on it.

I guess this may be a silly question but are they expecting you to donate it? If yes then you should think about how good they have been as a client and what it is worth for you. If not then ask them what price range are they thinking? Is it going to be people that work there or their customers or both? If it is just the workers then a utilitarian device would be good. Something they could use daily... LED Flashlights are good, husky type utility knife, a neat thing is the LED light like they use in caves that goes on your head to have hands free lighting. What you could do is offer personalization of the gift after it is won.

If it is the customers also, then I would think of more in the line of high end looking display item. maybe a sign for the yacht or their parking spot at their slip. A picture of their yacht lasered on a 12 x 12 black marble tile or on coasters.

Steve Clarkson
08-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Hmmmmm.....luxury jets.....yachts......I thought you couldn't make "real" money with a laser? Sounds like Belinda is doing quite well for herself! Who else on this board can say that someone like O'Bama or McCain or Hannah Montana has put their butt on something they've lasered?

David Fairfield
08-16-2008, 8:19 AM
Are you suggesting an engraved toilet seat company picnic door prize? I like it!! :p

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2008, 9:18 AM
I guess this may be a silly question but are they expecting you to donate it? If yes then you should think about how good they have been as a client and what it is worth for you. If not then ask them what price range are they thinking? Is it going to be people that work there or their customers or both? If it is just the workers then a utilitarian device would be good. Something they could use daily... LED Flashlights are good, husky type utility knife, a neat thing is the LED light like they use in caves that goes on your head to have hands free lighting. What you could do is offer personalization of the gift after it is won.

Mike,
As far as price range, as I said in the initial post most companies donate hats, lanyards, and coffee mugs. The picnic is for employees and their families only. Typical door price drawing so I have no idea who will get what. I thought of personalization after the fact as well. Thanks for ideas.

Hmmmmm.....luxury jets.....yachts......I thought you couldn't make "real" money with a laser? Sounds like Belinda is doing quite well for herself! Who else on this board can say that someone like O'Bama or McCain or Hannah Montana has put their butt on something they've lasered?

Steve, not doing that well yet. . . LOL. So far no famous butts have touched anything I have done. Oh wait, I once did some work on a yacht, not laser work, that a MLB player bought for his wife for their 10th anniversary. I can't remember his name right now. We did some granite countertop work, so who knows?

Now an engraved toilet seat. . . hmm I'm not sure I can sell that with a straight face!

Thanks again, all for the great ideas.

Steve Clarkson
08-16-2008, 8:32 PM
Hmmmmm....engraved toilet seats......I think I just found my niche!!!!!

Stephen Beckham
08-16-2008, 9:39 PM
Belinda,

Not sure if it fits for the picnic, but throw in a handful or Wood business cards with your logo and a 10% off of next purchase - some Plastic ones for 20% off and maybe some metal ones for 30% off... The idea is so that people can see your handywork in business card size - and the winner might come back an turn out to be a customer. Of course you can modify for actual $$ amounts or different type of materials as available (custom shaped cryo acrylic will catch some eyes)...

You'll still want to give some 'real' gifts out, but a couple cards on the prize table will catch some eyes while in wait for awarding...

Steve

Gary and Jessica Houghton
08-18-2008, 3:02 PM
What about drinking glasses? You can get them pretty cheap and it's something that is practical for everyday use. (no alcohol involved exept by the end user)

Belinda Barfield
08-18-2008, 3:11 PM
What about drinking glasses? You can get them pretty cheap and it's something that is practical for everyday use. (no alcohol involved exept by the end user)

What brand would you recommend? Source? Dave Fairfield had recommended Anchor Hocking, I believe.

Pete Simmons
08-18-2008, 3:20 PM
Glases and wine flutes it is hard to beat Walmart.

About $1 each and no shipping.

Belinda Barfield
08-18-2008, 3:28 PM
Thanks, Pete. Do you buy large quantities at a time? What if a customer places an order, and Wal-mart is out? Locally I have Bed, Bath and Beyond, Linens-N-Things, Pier One, and World Market, as well as numerous "kitchen supply" stores. I wonder if all of these stores carry basically the same glassware.

Pete Simmons
08-18-2008, 4:13 PM
I get Libbey glasses at Walmart.

When I am looking for them I buy all they have maybe 4 - 10 boxes of 4 at a store.

In my day to day travels there are 3 Walmarts and if I extend my range just a little there must be 10 or so stores.

You are right in your question - I never know if they will have them. I tried to order some at one store.

Spoke to a "Manager" and they said they would order 100 and call me. Never heard from them and never saw a large bunch of glasses.

David Fairfield
08-18-2008, 5:12 PM
I order my glasses from Instawares.com. Walmart is a really good source, but like Pete says, quantities are limited, and I need 'em by the hundreds.
Cheapo glass tends to engrave nicely, regardless of brand.

Dave

Belinda Barfield
08-18-2008, 6:32 PM
Thanks Dave, for this reply and all your help!