PDA

View Full Version : cleaning laser

Bill Morrison
08-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I did a search but didn't get any significant info about what solution to use when wiping down the laser equipment. Mirrors and lens I found but what should I be using to lean the carriage and rails, etc. Thanks.

Bill

Mike Ireland
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Soapy water in a spray bottle usually does the job. About 1 tablespoon of liquid soap and 1 quart of water. Spray the mixture on a paper towel outside of the system; spraying directly into the system can contaminate the some of the components like optics, sensors, etc.

Barb Macdonald
08-15-2008, 11:56 AM
That one should use distilled water. The soap could leave a residue, maybe?
Residues, are BAD.
:)
have a grand day:)

barb

Mark Winlund
08-15-2008, 6:06 PM
I have used mineral spirits and Q tips for the last 5 years and have had no problems. The optics are cleaned with the solution provided by universal. After 5 years, we are still using the original optics.

Mark

Darren Null
08-16-2008, 9:22 AM
I use cleaning alcohol, poured onto the cloth for better aim & containment. For the optics, I use Kodak lens-cleaning fluid sparingly and very fine grade cigarette rolling papers* (stick to the lens/mirror with the moistness of the cleaning fluid and drag off to the side, which takes all the cack off....DON'T scrub the lens or mirrors with anything- you may remove the coating).

Been doing that for more than a year with no problems to report.

*I roll my own, so it's handy. You could buy proper lens-cleaning papers, but it's the same grade stuff.

Charlie Bice
08-16-2008, 11:05 AM
We just use water for cleaning. It even gets the accumulated wood creosote under the grid table.

charlie