PDA

View Full Version : Work Boots

Rob Russell
08-15-2008, 9:39 AM
I need a new pair of work boots. My 25 year old Timberlands have finally seen the end of their days.

I did some searching and reading on "work boots" in this forum and have some questions. I saw brands that aren't familiar like Red Wing. I did see Wolverine mentioned.

I'm looking for something that has good support, so I'm guessing that means a steel shank. I also am thinking about a steel shank for those times I'm up on a ladder for awhile working. Probably want steel toe so my case of the "dropsies" doesn't do me in sometime in the future.

There is a Cabela's near me where I can get Wolverines. Bob's Stores near me carry those, Chippewa, Timberland Work series. I found the "americanmade workboots" website and see brands like Carolina, Chippewa, Justin, etc.

Any thoughts or comments on what's going to be comfortable and durable? These aren't for daily use, but I will probably also use them while I'm mowing the lawn (chasing the deck mower).

mark page
08-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I've always worn Red Wings. I wear their boots, work shoes, and casual hiking shoes. I usually get about 5 yrs out of the work shoes and I'm on my feet 11-12 hrs a day. I do have a pair of engineer boots that are about 15yrs old that are still perfect but I don't wear them very often. No familiarity with other brands.

Benjamin Dahl
08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I've had both Red wings and chippewas and found both to be good quality.

Kevin Arceneaux
08-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I have worn Redwings for 25 years and they are a great boot. I bought a pair of Wolverines this last time, price was a big decider. They are just as good as the Redwings.

One thing, a lot of people are buying boots w/o a defined heel. There are a lot of jobsites where a defined heel is required and they will not let you wear them. Also with you being on a ladder a good bit, a defined heel would be better for you.

Rob Russell
08-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Kevin,

By a "defined" heel, I assume you mean the difference between a heel that's got a straight (perpendicular to the sole) edge vs. the ones that are either flat or the transition from sole to heel is a slope.

I'm guessing that the ladder thing is because the defined heel will catch on the rung better.

Correct?

Rob

Joe Cunningham
08-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I've owned Red Wings and Timberlands and both are still in use as the work around the house requires (Red Wings are just engineer boots, Timberlands have the steel toe). I bought the red wings 18 years ago when working and hiking everyday in volcanic tuff, which ate up hiking boot soles-in less than a month, the hiking boots were toast, soles worn clean through. The red wings survived the remaining 3 months of that summer job.

There is a Red Wing store in Springfield--I didn't see any in CT, just dealers, but that is fairly close to you. That Cabela's in E Hftd is huge, so I am sure you could find something there as well.

RED WING SHOE STORE (http://www.redwingshoe.com/Locator.aspx?ZipCode=06415&Country=US&City=&State=#)
HAYMARKET SQ
1754 BOSTON RD
SPRINGFIELD MA 01129-1142
413-543-4678

http://www.redwingshoestore.info/dealers/48/

Oh, looks like there is one in Newington, but I suspect Springfield is still closer to S Windsor.:
2434 BERLIN TPKE
NEWINGTON CT 06111
860-667-9038

Rob Russell
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
That Cabela's in E Hftd is huge, so I am sure you could find something there as well.

Yeah - I called them. Problem is they don't stock a lot of wide sizes (I'm typically an 11 EE).

Thx for the Redwing info.

Doug Shepard
08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
I've got 2 pair of Redwings. The lowcut pair needed a re-tread a few years ago after about 15 years but other than the normal tread wear, the rest of the boots are still going strong. Of course, I had to have something else to wear for the few days it took for the re-tread, plus it was already cold out so I bought a higher style that also has Thinsulate lining. Now both pair get worn depending on the what the weather is. Redwing also has a goofy (but cool) warranty policy. If the laces wear out, I can stop in and get free laces basically forever. I would expect this to be normal wear and tear that I'd have to pay for, but who am I to argue if they want to give them to me free.

bob gugerty
08-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Rob,
I have been wearing Red Wing Boots for 20+ years they are more expensive then others but the fit is great. I also have a size 12 but very narrow AA Red Wing is the only boot I can find in the AA size

bob

Greg Narozniak
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
My latest pair of boots are Chippewa's and I would buy them again in a heartbeat. had them for 3+ years and they are holding up great.

I was a long time Herman Survivors wearing but the quality went down hill. I have also used Rocky's in the past and they are OK but the Chippewa's I have now (From Bobs) have been super.

Kevin Arceneaux
08-15-2008, 2:25 PM
Kevin,

By a "defined" heel, I assume you mean the difference between a heel that's got a straight (perpendicular to the sole) edge vs. the ones that are either flat or the transition from sole to heel is a slope.

I'm guessing that the ladder thing is because the defined heel will catch on the rung better.

Correct?

Rob

Yes. On the other shift on a project, they almost had an ironworker killed when his foot slide through the ladder. He ended up with reconstructive surgery on his knee.

So while they may be more comfortable, it does have a downside.

For me I have always preferred a Wellington style boot. You may not get the ankle support of a lace up, but I like the slip on.

I finally had to get rid of a pair of Redwings, 24 years I had them, the top was so thin that they could not re-sole them. It was like losing an old friend.

Al Wasser
08-15-2008, 2:33 PM
If you really want the best boots, check out Whites. They don't give them away. They also make a little less costly brand called Hawthorn if I recall correctly. Out of Spokane Washington

John Shuk
08-15-2008, 4:03 PM
Redwings and Chippewa are both great boots. I usually wear Red wings. Steel shank is a good thing for time spent on ladders. I spend alot of time on ladders and climbers and a defined heel is really helpful there. You will have either of these for another 25 years.

David DeCristoforo
08-15-2008, 4:47 PM
RWs are good boots. Always have been. But the last time I needed a new pair of shop boots, I bit the bullet and splurged on a pair of Ecco boots (these ones to be exact: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/32198256/c/607.html). I had a hard time choking down the price but these are incredible boots. Much more comfortable than any I have worn in the past. At the end of the day, my feet don't hurt nearly as much and the boots are designed to correct bad posture (which is also an issue for me) so I have much less back pain as well. Plus, they seem to be holding up under daily wear much better. So I'm thinking now that they are worth the extra dough....

Scott Donley
08-15-2008, 5:27 PM
Red Wing for the last 25 years or so. They even cured some back problems I was having at work :D I still wear the last pair I had before retirement, more comfortable then my tenny's !

PS: The laces NEVER wear out ;)

Mike Cutler
08-15-2008, 8:08 PM
Rob

Another vote for Red Wings here. I have their steel toed ANSI approved safety shoes and they're awesome.

Closest store I know of to you is on Rte. 2 in Warwick RI. That's where I've gotten mine. Gotta be a place in Springfield I would think.

Davids ECCO boots are very nice also. There used to be an ECCO store in the West Farms Mall, but I haven't been in that Mall in a few years. If it's still there you'll probably have to order them in.

If Steel toes aren't an absolute necessity. Check out the Asolo line of boots. They're a European style boot similar to the old Zamberlains, an Italian non technical climbing boot. Nice boots. Mice got to my pair( Zamberlains) in storage, I was seriously bummed.:(

Get ready for the prices though.:eek:,;)

David G Baker
08-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Another Red Winger chiming in. I have worn them off and on for most of my adult life. I also have a pair of Rockport boots that I used for daily walks for at least every day for three years and for work boots since 2002. Had them resoled and still wear them on occasion. The Gortex finally gave out so I can't wear them in the rain any longer.

John Keeton
08-16-2008, 6:33 AM
RWs are good boots. Always have been. But the last time I needed a new pair of shop boots, I bit the bullet and splurged on a pair of Ecco boots (these ones to be exact: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/32198256/c/607.html). I had a hard time choking down the price but these are incredible boots. Much more comfortable than any I have worn in the past. At the end of the day, my feet don't hurt nearly as much and the boots are designed to correct bad posture (which is also an issue for me) so I have much less back pain as well. Plus, they seem to be holding up under daily wear much better. So I'm thinking now that they are worth the extra dough....
Some of us are getting to the age where plantar fasciitis can be a problem. I suffered for about 4 months with that, got some Ecco walking shoes and the difference was remarkable. Never had the boots, but can vouch for the corrective nature of their design and the impact on foot problems. If that isn't a problem for you, then Redwings or Rockport would get a vote - never cared for the one pair of Timberlands I had. Used to sell Rockys in our previous retail business. Their quality has really diminished over the years. We were beginning to get a lot of returns for glaring quality issues before we quit selling them.

Chris Kennedy
08-16-2008, 8:00 AM
I have gone through three pairs of work boots (mine used to double as snow boots as well when I lived in more northern climates). I had a pair of Georgia boots, which were okay. The most comfortable pair I owned were a pair of LaCrosse. I currently have a pair of of Wolverines and they are pretty good. I would recommend the LaCrosse over the Wolverines, though.

By the way, I highly recommend the steel toe. For my LaCrosse, it was $5 more for the steel toe, which the LOML made me spend (even though I thought it was a bit of overkill). A week later, a big C-clamp fell off the workbench and landed on my foot. Best $5 I ever spent.

Cheers,

Chris

Anthony Scira
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Red Wings +1
Made in USA +1,000,000

Mike Sheppard
08-18-2008, 9:16 AM
I have bought Knapp shoes & boots for 30+ years and been very pleased with them. Size 15d's are hard to find. The last pr. of work boots are a poor fit, little bitty eyelets, and the laces started to wear out in the first week. I would have sent them back but did some spray painting with them on the first day.
Made in "CHINA" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Mike

Rob Russell
08-18-2008, 9:39 AM
I stopped at the Red Wing store over on the Berlin Tpke in Newington over the weekend. I finally ended with a pair from the "discontinued" section. They aren't perfect for what I want (not waterproof, not the best of the "non skid" soles), but they were only $95 with steel toe, steel shank with straight cut heel. I'm not used to a steel toe boot and one big toe seems to touch the inside of the toe box, although not badly.

I may go look at the Chippewa boots before I use the Red Wings for anything just to see if the fit is any better.

Kevin Arceneaux
08-18-2008, 10:39 AM
I stopped at the Red Wing store over on the Berlin Tpke in Newington over the weekend. I finally ended with a pair from the "discontinued" section. They aren't perfect for what I want (not waterproof, not the best of the "non skid" soles), but they were only $95 with steel toe, steel shank with straight cut heel. I'm not used to a steel toe boot and one big toe seems to touch the inside of the toe box, although not badly.

I may go look at the Chippewa boots before I use the Red Wings for anything just to see if the fit is any better.

Mink oil - first thing I do with a pair of new boots and then every few weeks when they get scuffed up. This will keep the water out.

Rob Russell
08-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Mink oil - first thing I do with a pair of new boots and then every few weeks when they get scuffed up. This will keep the water out.

Yeah - we have that and silicone waterproofing. Either would work for leather preservation, although the mink oil is nice because it's a more natural product. I'm actually more concerned about the "oil-resistant" soles because they're hard and I suspect a bit slippery to be wearing up on a roof.

Kevin Arceneaux
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah - we have that and silicone waterproofing. Either would work for leather preservation, although the mink oil is nice because it's a more natural product. I'm actually more concerned about the "oil-resistant" soles because they're hard and I suspect a bit slippery to be wearing up on a roof.

Once you get them broke in, I do not think you will have a problem. That is one reason I avoid steel shanks, way to stiff.

Rob Russell
08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Once you get them broke in, I do not think you will have a problem. That is one reason I avoid steel shanks, way to stiff.

I'm OK with the stiff shank, especially since I'll be up on a ladder a bit - it'll make standing on the rungs more comfortable.

My concern with the sole is the material. It's oil resistant and what appears to be a harder material than the other "slip resistant" ones. I'm not going to be spending that much time actually on the roof and may just wear boat mocs for those jobs.

Joe Cunningham
08-18-2008, 1:54 PM
I stopped at the Red Wing store over on the Berlin Tpke in Newington over the weekend.

Did that store in Newington have a good selection? I could use a new pair of motorcycle boots and I think I saw on the Red Wing site that they have a moto boot line.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-18-2008, 2:21 PM
Asolo Yukon~!!

Oh sorry them's hiking boots.