PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed

Mike Christen
08-14-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 Epilog Legend 24 TT 45 watt laser. My questions would be how does it stack up against the new Epilogs. Any owners with anything to share would be greatly appreciated.

I have an old Summit and vector cutting anything with curves is very rough, beside that it works great. I would rather spend a little more and purchase a new one.

Thanks
Mike

Joe Pelonio
08-15-2008, 8:11 AM
I have that same Epilog machine, built in 2004, and the only thing I've found to be a big improvement in seeing newer ones in action is the built-in vacuum table. If you cut a lot of light material or warped thin plastic it would be a major help.

Of course, with a new one you get a warranty.

Bill Cunningham
08-17-2008, 8:07 PM
I would like to see a few of the newer bells and whistles on my TT like bottom up engraving, I've had mine since 2004, and just replaced the tube (there is I was told a 3 year warranty on the replacement tubes) so now i have enough time to squirrel away some cash for future repairs when their needed.. But over the time I've had mine, there have been no problems except the x motor which was promptly replaced with a upgrade from Epilog.. The only glitch I have seen occur, is suddenly I am getting a line across the LCD screen.. It just started showing up last week (it affects nothing other than the view on the screen) and occasionally vanishes , and then returns a job or two later.. anyone else ever have this problem?

Joe Hayes
08-17-2008, 9:46 PM
Mike - I have 70 watt Legend bought in 2002 and a EXT 75 watt bought in 2006. Both still running great. Big difference I first noticed is speed of the new one over the old one. You will see a big increase in speed over your Summit. Also the EXT will does finer detail with a smaller spot size. Several other features that have already been mentioned in previous posts.

You know your business and what you pocket book will stand. Best of luck.

Mike Christen
08-18-2008, 9:36 AM
Thanks Everyone for your reply

I received some samples of acrylic cut into circles and ovals from the machine I'm looking at and I see some signs of an issue with circular interpretation in the drivers or hardware. No where near as bad as my Summit but they are still there. Does anyone see this with their machines or are the vector cuts smooth on curves. This really is my biggest question, curves must cut as smooth as straight lines...

Thanks again
Mike

Sarah Jones
08-18-2008, 4:21 PM
we have a epilog legend 60 watt I love it, when vectoring a lot of circles or curved surfaces I usaually bump down the speed and power (the slower it goes I find the more accurate it tends to be)make sure your maschine is lubed up as well, if the tracks can't glide easily your cut will be a little rough. I would definantly suggest investing in the the vector grid table, trying to cut through wood and plexiglass is nearly impossible with out it!