PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini lathe jml-1014 replacement motor

Tom Stewart
08-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Just bought this thing off craigs list and the motor is shot....Jet's website wants $166 for a replacement....Is there a cheaper replacement motor or should I try to have this one rebuilt?

Thanks,
Tom

John Terefenko
08-15-2008, 1:33 AM
Hopw do you know it is the motor and not a capacitor. They are known to go on those.

Tom Stewart
08-15-2008, 9:17 AM
I don't know if it is actually the motor or not...It will start up, just has no power and you can easily stop the turning by hand....

Does that sound more like a capacitor or bearings or something else?
Thanks,
TS

curtis rosche
08-15-2008, 3:06 PM
does it make noise? does it sound like something is grinding?

curtis rosche
08-15-2008, 3:07 PM
or if you turn it by hand does it feel like something is grinding? our mini at school had this problem, the bearing was so shot that it made it so that you could bearly touch the wood with a tool

robert hainstock
08-15-2008, 4:21 PM
Sounds like it is trying to start. the fact that it will turn under its own power with low torque indicates that the start windins are ok, but the run windings are not kicking in. They could be cooked, or somehow disconnected. give the motor a smell, and if it smells strong of melted plastic, or like that,it is probably cooked. You need an electrician to have a look. If you have a rewind shop around, give them a call, and see what they have to say. Check HF for replacement motors in that size and RPM.
:eek::eek::)
Bob

curtis rosche
08-15-2008, 4:25 PM
if you are looking for a replacment motor, look on ebay, CL,

curtis rosche
08-15-2008, 4:27 PM
stupid thing, i pushed the wrong button and it posted before i was done

also, try going to www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org), and go to the bring out your dead section, ask for a motor, you will get more replys there than you will in the classifieds here

Ronald Hanssen
08-15-2008, 4:42 PM
Check out Penn State Web site,they sell replacement vs motor kit for Jet1014

Bill Bolen
08-15-2008, 5:19 PM
If you have to have a new motor check penn state. They have an upgrade kit with motor to make it a VS. I believe it runs $100. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new purchase! Hope the resolution is cheap and easy too! ..Bill..

Grant Wilkinson
08-15-2008, 5:56 PM
Tom: Is it the AC or the DC motor?

Joe Kaufman
08-23-2008, 3:16 PM
Tom,

If it is the AC motor and it passes the smell test, try a new capacitor. I have an expensive multimeter w/capacitance checking capability that indicated my capacitor was OK. I tried a new capacitor as a last resort and that cured the problem. The capacitor must breakdown under voltage. The motor does not drop out the capacitor after starting and it is always in the circuit. The breakdown under voltage must limit current to the windings. IIRC it is a 25 mfd 250 V. capacitor. I couldn't find one locally that would fit under the cover so got one from Jet (WHM Tool Group).

Joe

Jim Underwood
08-23-2008, 6:46 PM
Yep, there's a cheaper motor alright, and it's the capacitor. My vote says that it's a 99% chance it's the capacitor. Those motors are almost bullet proof. If you do a search for Jet mini capacitor, I'll bet you come up with at least five threads that talk about it burning out.

And order it by phone from Jet. The shipping will be less than if you order it online.

Richard Madison
08-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Another vote for what Jim just wrote. Had a similar problem which was cured with a new starting capacitor. Always check the most simple, easy, and least expensive possibility first. That will often solve the problem.